Asking/Inviting the holy spirit to come? Scripture??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me and my mom have recently become exposed and involved in more charismatic encounters with the holy spirit and although it is great we want to be careful also that what we are doing is biblical. All of the church gatherings and whatnot I have been to with friends, involve asking for the the Holy Spirit to come even though we know it's already inside us, but more so to rest strongly upon us. My mom wants scriptures that show this is biblical. I had given her one in acts and one in ephesians and she also heard that from another pastor but she is still questioning because she doesn't think that scripture backs this up and that once we have the holy spirit in us, we shouldnt have to ask for it to come in any way. She has seen and experienced how how awesome it can be to be filled with the spirit but she wants to make sure that it is the spirit being invited by biblical proof. Because she says she doesnt see any of the apostles doing this in acts like it was just a one time thing. I don't see why its wrong to invite the holy spirit to a gathering or yourself and soak in his prescense and ask for more of him and for him to increase in his presence....but I also would like some responses. What do you all think. Any scriptures pls. Thank you

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think they what they are asking is for the Holy Spirit to manifest himself in giftings -- healings, tongues, interpretations, miracles, word of knowledge etc.

Yes they know that the Holy Spirit is already present in them.

It's like when I go on a holiday. I know He will never leave me nor forsake me, but I still pray and "invite" Jesus along. This is just to express my heart -- that I really want his presence there. Not becos I doubt that he's not there.

It's like if you have a party, and you can either make a personal call to your best friend to invite him to come, or you can not call him and just expect him to show up becos he's your best friend.

I think your friend would really appreciate it if you did the former. It's somehow more 'polite' and genuine.

that's the best I can put it. :)

Upvote 0

flyfishing

Feb 6, 2004
✟612.00
Faith
Christian
Your mothers concerns are quite valid. Jesus in John 16 tells of the role of the holy spirit in the believers life more than any other passages. A couple of thoughts, he will not speak of himself,v13.. he also leads people to christ.v14..

I am quite concerned about charismatic movements that are actually instructing people not to worship Jesus but to pray for the spirit to come. That is toatlly unscriptual and opens the door for another spirit to manifest.

If you are truly seeking JESUS the Holy spirit will reveal Him. What do we seek after when we gather? The hand of GOD or His face??

Our motives are very important because God warns in ezekiel 14 that he will answer some according to the idolatry in their hearts. Do we truly seek JESUS or just some religious blessing??? Be very careful...
with love in Christ

Upvote 0
G

Godz Marine

Yes, when we are born again, Jesus comes to live in our hearts. In Acts 1 Jesus tells them to wait till they are endued with power from on high. In Acts 2 we see the result of the "infilling" of this power. Again in Acts 4 we see a refilling of this "power". Paul encourages us to "pray in the Spirit" he also calls the "tongue of angels". In Jude we are encourage to build up our "most holy faith" by praying in the Spirit. Paul boasts of the amount of time in which he prays in tongues. Hehas made it apparent that praying in tongues was an important part of his like and we can read of the resulting power that came from it.

As has been said, we are to keep our eyes upon Christ for it is He who is head of the Body, the church, not the Holy Spirit.

Sorry this is short. Time to leave for work.

Upvote 0

Jim B

Jan 12, 2004
Nacogdoches Texas
✟8,962.00
Faith
Christian
flyfishing said:
I am quite concerned about charismatic movements that are actually instructing people not to worship Jesus but to pray for the spirit to come. That is toatlly unscriptual and opens the door for another spirit to manifest.

Hmmm? You may be overstating your objection. You are treating an invitiation for the Spirit to take contol of your life as some sort of willful sin. Personally, I have never been in a Pentecostal, Charismatic, or Vineyard meeting where people have been intructed “not to worship Jesus” and I have been in literally thousands of P/C/V meetings. If you have attended such a meeting that would intruct people not to worship Jesus Christ, I would run for the exit!

I have, on the other hand, heard people invite the Spirit (and the Father and the Son) to come and, although it is not something I normally practice, I can find no biblical (NT) prophibition, or even caution, against inviting the Holy Spirit to come in power to a gathering of believers.

I prefer Andrew’s more balanced response,
I think they what they are asking is for the Holy Spirit to manifest himself in giftings -- healings, tongues, interpretations, miracles, word of knowledge etc.

Yes they know that the Holy Spirit is already present in them.

It's like when I go on a holiday. I know He will never leave me nor forsake me, but I still pray and "invite" Jesus along. This is just to express my heart -- that I really want his presence there.

\o/

Upvote 0

flyfishing

Feb 6, 2004
✟612.00
Faith
Christian
Jim B said:
Hmmm? You may be overstating your objection. You are treating an invitiation for the Spirit to take contol of your life as some sort of willful sin. Personally, I have never been in a Pentecostal, Charismatic, or Vineyard meeting where people have been intructed “not to worship Jesus” and I have been in literally thousands of P/C/V meetings. If you have attended such a meeting that would intruct people not to worship Jesus Christ, I would run for the exit!

I have, on the other hand, heard people invite the Spirit (and the Father and the Son) to come and, although it is not something I normally practice, I can find no biblical (NT) prophibition, or even caution, against inviting the Holy Spirit to come in power to a gathering of believers.

I prefer Andrew’s more balanced response,

\o/

Oh thats ok.. i dont mind overstating my love for CHRISTS NAME, as i stated in the scripture of John 16 it is not the Holy spirits nature to bring attention to himself. And btw brother i did not bring the subject up. peace

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

Fly; This is a charismatic congregation. Are you charismatic or a tongue talker? As for the thead. MLE; Go for it. It would be the very dumb demon to come into a charismatic meeting where the gifts of the Holy Spirit are in use. Talking about a quick trip to the pit! To seek God and express greeting to your lover to come unto you is not a wrong thing. It is expressing a very intimate relationship. It is our duty as high priest to praise Him. The GODHEAD who is the FATHER, SON, AND HOLY SPIRIT.

Upvote 0

flyfishing

Feb 6, 2004
✟612.00
Faith
Christian
enoch son said:
Fly; This is a charismatic congregation. Are you charismatic or a tongue talker? As for the thead. MLE; Go for it. It would be the very dumb demon to come into a charismatic meeting where the gifts of the Holy Spirit are in uses. Talking about a quick to the pit! To seek God and express greeting to your lover to come unto you is not a wrong thing. But is expressing a very intimate relationship. It is our duty as high priest to praise Him. The GODHEAD who is the FATHER, SON, AND HOLY SPIRIT.

i thank God that i speak in tongues more than you all. :wave:

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

Beauty4ashes. I looking for vers. on the topic I've only gone thou rom. 1&2 Cor. Gal, Eph. looking at the opening of the letter by Paul. Eph. 1-13-14. It state's that the Holy Spirit is part of or inheritance. In being part of the inheritance one has a legal right under the law of life in Christ Jesus to call on it. (rom. chap. 8. ) Which by the why is the same right of freedom in Christ Jesus that we can cry Abba Father!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

flyfishing

Feb 6, 2004
✟612.00
Faith
Christian
Jim B said:

Yes, but can you write in tongues?

Df lks jflkj l’kdf’j;fo - ier cperlm*** prauiicjhd - ;dhdfiAKL/ skddkh cnaldfunvhrf kjs jsahdnj!!

(excuse the big words)

:eek:

I used to be attracted by the gift of tongues and then doing the interpretation but then i realized why just not prophesy. I aint no scholar without my greek lexicon... :D

Upvote 0

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
here are several scriptures :
1Cr 12:1 Now concerning spiritual [gifts], brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

1Cr 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

1Cr 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

1Cr 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

1Cr 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

1Cr 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1Cr 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual [gifts], but rather that ye may prophesy.

1Cr 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual [gifts], seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God [are] without repentance.

Rom 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, [let us prophesy] according to the proportion of faith;

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Upvote 0
G

Godz Marine

Beauty,

Allow me to apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Let's look at a passage from Acts;

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

Here we see Peter speaking of three separate events, repentence (salvation), baptism (water), and reception of the Holy Spirit. Now if this was the same as receiving the Spirit of Christ upon salvation Peter would of had no need to make a distiction as he did.

Many people go through this life with nothing more than salvation. Others realize the importance of Baptism. Now if all one needs to do is repent and get baptized to be filled with the Holy Spirit (with the evidence of tongues as we read in Acts) then there would be more signs of the giftings of the Holy Spirit in churches who stand upon the doctrine of salvation and baptizm but we do not for this is not the same infilling as we receive at salvation.

We can read in Acts 4:31 as the believers who prayed for boldness were once again filled with the Holy Spirit. Now these were many of the same one we read of in Acts 2. We do not need a refilling of the Spirit of Christ which we recieve at salvation but we do need constant refilling of God's Holy Spirit; of God's power. With this power comes boldnessIn Acts we can read many accounts of those whom when filled with the the Holy Spirit were somehow changed. Thier words had now become effective and power was evident (Acts 4:13).

In Acts 7 we see that seven men were required to start the Helps ministry of the NT church. It was required that they be full of the Holy Spirit and not just born again and baptized. In verse 8 we read of Stephen, one of the seven who were chosen being filled with the Spirit. It says he was "full of faith and power" and he did "great signs and wonders among the people". In verse 10 we see he spoke with wisdom and the Spirit. The in filling of the Holy Spirit causes us to be more effective for the Gospels' sake.

In Acts 8:14 - we can read where Samaria had received the word of God (unto salvation) and where baptized but the Holy Psirit had yet fallen on them. The apostles prayed for the Spirit to fall on them. When Peter and John went to lay hands on them, they received the Holy Spirit. Now remember they were already born again and baptized. In verse 18 when Simon the Sorcerer saw they were filled with the Holy Spirit (he saw them after being born again yet saw nothing of value to him) he offered to buy this "power" (laying on of hands for the infilling) that the apostles had.

Now in Acts 9 we read of Saul/Paul. Paul we see repented (believed and was saved for He called Christ Lord.) Then we read that he recieved the infilling then was baptized!!!!! Why was this a bit different? Because as we read Ananias' words, he told Paul that Jesus hold told him to do so. The point was Anasias laid hands on Paul for the infillin so that he could have power to go to the Gentiles.

In Acts 10 we read of Peter going to Cornelius' household. While preaching of Jesus to the gentiles the Holy Spirit fell with the evidence of speaking in tongues. The jewish believers who accompanied Peter were astonished that the Holy Spirt they had personally recieved was poured out on the gentiles.

Many, many more scriptures prove this infilling, this coming upon of the Holy Spirit is one sperate of the Spirit of Christ which we recieve at the time of salvation. This infilling can take place after salvation and before baptizm. It can take place after both salvation (repentance) and baptism. The point being it is a separate event which is evident by the speaking of tongues. If this were the same as the Spirit of Christ we recieve at salvation then we would all have tha ability to speak in tongues. We would all be people of faith and power. We would all be people of some type of boldness but we are not because this infilling isn't the same as the Spirit of Christ at salvation.

LAstly, we read throughout the Bible of the word "annointing/annointed." In the OT the oil was poured over (annointed) the head so as to portray covering the body. This annoiting was to signify the power of God upon a person. In the sense of a double reference, the Holy Spirit in the NT is the same as the oil in the OT, the power of God. Even Jesus Himself proclaim to be annoited by the Holy Spirit from which He recived the power to preach, teach, do good, and heal. If this was within Him all along then He wouldn't have needed to be baptized by John and the Holt Spirit (dove) would not have needed to come upon Him but He said it was imparitive He be baptized!

I could go on but others have already presented many of the scriptures I would present so I won't. All I ask is that you prayerfully consider all scriptue that has been presented to you within this thread. :wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.