United States
✟6,027.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Any good theologian worth his salt will read & own a library of books from all sources, to get a well rounded understanding. There is wisdom to be found everywhere, from Rabbis, Priests, and Ministers alike. Even and understanding of the philisophical disciplines from Plato and Aristotle helps develop the mind.

billy_graham_and_pope_john_paul.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Anyone listen to this show
"Ask the Pastor" with Gregory Dickow? I'm listening to him right now and I had a couple questions, spurned by the following:

When a caller asked him how the books of the Canon of Scripture were formed, he basically said he was not very familiar with that, but there were a bunch of "tests" that each letter went through and if it failed any of the "tests" the book was rejected.

So my first question is: What level of authority should we place on Pastor Dickow's answers to any given question?

Not much. But that doesn't mean his views should be discounted out-of-hand. Protestants have no INFALLIBLE/UNACCOUNTABLE pope. And we regard all - including self - as accountable.

And the second question is: Isn't it important for someone whose entire faith is drawn from the Bible alone to know how it was assembled?

No. Truth is, NO ONE knows how we ended up with those 27 NT books.

If he wants to know how his tome was assembled, he'll likely need to travel to China. That's (ironicly) where most Bibles are published now, so I've read.

BTW, I also believe that Jesus was conceived without a human father. I don't KNOW how that happened either, but it doesn't keep me from teaching that it's true. Sad how the RCC has become so amazingly uncomfortable with mystery and faith....

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Simple: We don't. What you have described is not a part of the Dogma of Mary being ever-virgin.

What a laugh! But what a good illustration, too.

Well, that's the way it is with many of these Ancient and Medieval superstitions. Today's loyal RC church-goers are ready to defend anything at the drop of a hat--Inquisitions, Crusades, criminal Popes, whatever. They don't know how their church has changed doctrine after doctrine in order to keep them saleable to people of our modern world who no longer believe in magic and alchemy, etc. Limbo, Purgatory, resacrificing Christ in the Mass, Transubstantiation, the Churching of Women, the Treasury of Merit...they're all examples...and of course the miraculous delivery of a child by Mary that left her without any biological change in her body! That's what the doctrine, when created, meant, whether you know it or not.

Besides, what does THAT have to do with the simple fact that Jesus is the only child she gave birth to? No one in this thread said anything about what you have described.

Oh yes they have. The subject of Mary's so-called Perpetual Virginity was brought up before I mentioned it. I merely asked if you all know what you are affirming when you say you believe it.

Consider...when you say you are a believer in the "Perpetual Virginity" of Mary, you are not saying that you believe in the Perpetual Celibacy of Mary, the restored body parts of Mary, the Perpetual unwillingness of Mary to have any more children, or anything like that. It is clear in its title, just as unequivocal as the Assumption of Mary and/or the Immaculate Conception. So, you are affi4rming that Mary gave birth in the normal way and yet was never anything but a virgin. That's something like a square circle or partial pregnancy, isn't it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON
inspector&

I should have made this announcement earlier, but I forgot. I did some thread clean up and some posts were deleted that were not in violation. If you were not contacted, then no worries for you.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

CalmRon

Aug 20, 2009
Western New York
✟8,747.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My apologies to all in the thread for the multiple posts. The forum went down with a "time out" right when I posted. I guess all of these happened when I tried to refresh the page! :D

That being said, I would still like it if katholikos would address my original post #103. Thanks.

sorry I thought that you were really trying to get a point across:blush:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
sorry I thought that you were really trying to get a point across:blush:
As I have learned in the post......always use "copy" on a more lenghthy post before hitting the "submit" button. But when I do that, I have to make sure I do not use the copy function on something else or it will wipe the post out I had copied LOL :D

Upvote 0

CalmRon

Aug 20, 2009
Western New York
✟8,747.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As I have learned in the post......always use "copy" on a more lenghthy post before hitting the "submit" button. But when I do that, I have to make sure I do not use the copy function on something else or it will wipe the post out I had copied LOL :D

the joys of small technological wonders:p

Upvote 0