Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is a remarkable, American picture; its title is 'American Gothic', I think, by one of the Wyeths.

It's actual by the American painter Grant Wood.

Here's a famous painting by Andrew Wyeth.

Untitled.png

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since we're going on about tattoos, here's a large silkscreen I framed the other day.
"It's Only Happy if it Hurts" by
Alex Arizmendi

Alex_Arizmendi.jpg
I see that on the link there are also close-ups of the tattooing.

It's kind of retro in style (sort of imitation Norman Rockwell), except that the tattooee is female (which wouldn't have been typical in Norman Rockwell's day, but certainly is now.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I mentioned, all things are connected in Catholicville and the other day in the shop, several times through the day these two artists came up so I'd thought I'd post their self-portraits.

Diego Rivera

fa208310028e1cd6ed3d3ad281270cfc.jpg

And Frida Khalo

self_portrait_1.jpg
Diego Rivera was Mexican, right?

I think I've seen pictures of his murals.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is by my friend Will Wilson. He has a show coming up in Norman, OK later this month.

FJJMA-Casey_Camp.jpg

Casey Camp-Horinek, Citizen of Ponca Tribe of Oklahoma, “Zhuthi”, Tribal Council Woman, Leader of Ponca Scalp Dance Society, Sundancer, Delegate to UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, Matriarch of wonderful family (grandmother, companion, mother, sister), Defender of Mother Earth (2016)

Archival pigment print from wet plate collodion scan, 8 x 10 in.

A little bit about the exhibit

Noted early 20th-century photographer Edward Curtis (1868-1952) once referred to Native Americans as a “vanishing race.” A new exhibition at the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art proves that Native American communities are not vanishing at all – they’re thriving.

PHOTO/SYNTHESIS, an exhibition of contemporary photography by Navajo artist Will Wilson (b. 1969), offers a glimpse of living Oklahomans representing seven Native tribal communities, while also showing some of Curtis’s historic works.

Native American Photography Exhibition Opens Jan. 26 at OU

• Winner
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
upload_2017-1-10_22-7-1.png

This is a painting of Matthew writing his Gospel, from the Vatican. I saw it up close and personal when it was on a tour of Vatican art in the U.S. In the original, it appears the strands of hair from Matthew's head are coming out of the painting...almost a 3D effect. The painting is by Guido Reni and is about 400 years old. Superb art.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No One Wants to Play Sega with Harrison Ford by Brando Bird. Oil on canvas 36" X 18"

ford_aqua_blue.jpg

The man who was the model for the long haired figure came into the store this morning with an original painting of the same subject for framing. The artist gave it to him for modelling. His version doesn't include Harrison Ford.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums