Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jennifer joins the fast-growing Duggar brood, who live in a 7,000-square-foot home in Tontitown. All the children — whose names start with the letter J — are taught at home.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291949,00.html (replaced link.)
They need to find a hobby.

19 people living in a 7000 sq ft house. 10 boys and 7 girls. And they are home schooled, so you can't get away from a sibling that is annoying you.
IMO the only way to keep 17 kids is for the older kids to take care of the younger. Which imo is wrong. Kids should be kids, and adults be adults.

Reactions: Fantine

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
Link isn't working. :(

What kind a job would a man have to have in order to support a wife, 17 children, and a 7000 sq. ft. house?

It is more about staying out of debt, and not using credit cards, etc. than it is income. 17 kids was not uncommon a hundred years ago, a dozen kids even more common, and they did it without welfare, without food stamps, etc.

If you dont use credit cards, dont buy foolish things like the latest tv or the latest computer, dont buy whiskey, dont have any mortgage payments, dont buy video games and other toys, etc. you can buy lots of other real things to pay for children.

Plus, the cost of living in a small town in Arkansas is not that much esp. if you dont borrow money and dont waste money.

Sam Walton was also another poor boy of Arkansas and ended up with enough money to live well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bob_Duggar

James Robert (Jim Bob) Duggar (born 1963), of Tontitown, Arkansas, served in the Arkansas House of Representatives from 1999 to 2002.

Duggar was a candidate for the United States Senate in 2002, but lost to Tim Hutchinson. Duggar sought the Republican nomination to the Arkansas State Senate District 35 seat in Arkansas in 2006, but lost to candidate Bill Pritchard. Duggar is a real estate agent, and owns several commercial properties in his local area.

Duggar and his wife Michelle (born 1966) are politically conservative fundamentalist Christians who endorse Quiverfull and the teachings of Bill Gothard.

They reportedly live debt-free.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9680098/
The Learning Channel is doing another show about the family’s construction project, a 7,000-square foot house that should be finished before Christmas. The home, which the family from the northwest Arkansas town of Rogers has been building for two years, will have nine bathrooms, dormitory-style bedrooms for the girls and boys, a commercial kitchen, four washing machines and four dryers.

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
When it comes to having a 7000sq ft house and 17 children and a SAHW, there's A LOT more to it than merely staying out of debt.

Given that he's ran for politics, I'm sure he probably came from a rich family to begin with. Maybe that's the answer to the debt question.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

If you dont use credit cards, dont buy foolish things like the latest tv or the latest computer, dont buy whiskey, dont have any mortgage payments, dont buy video games and other toys, etc. you can buy lots of other real things to pay for children.

Don’t buy foolish things like a computer….from someone typing on the internet, on a computer. Let me guess, you’re using the computer at your local library?
I thought it was democrats that were suppose to tell you what you should and shouldn’t buy?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Do a little research on this family, they are ultra fundamentalists. I feel bad for the children. The girls are being raised under the impression that they A) should never enter the workforce or have an education B) should be subservient to their husbands and C) be baby making machines.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Don’t buy foolish things like a computer….from someone typing on the internet, on a computer. Let me guess, you’re using the computer at your local library?
I thought it was democrats that were suppose to tell you what you should and shouldn’t buy?
She didn't tell anyone what to buy.
Just that you can live on a low income even with 17 kids. If you do it right.

Don't yell at the kids.^_^
Been watching to much Dr phil.

If I don't yell, they don't hear.

Upvote 0

Foolish_Fool

Wanderer
Jun 3, 2006
Here
✟19,855.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

That's a life not worth living!

<pets his 61" television, computer, video games and then kisses the bottle of rum at his desk>

On the flip side, it's amazing how much amazingly awesome stuff you can afford without kids.

Reactions: fuzzymel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MaddyO3

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
Iowa
✟10,603.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do a little research on this family, they are ultra fundamentalists. I feel bad for the children. The girls are being raised under the impression that they A) should never enter the workforce or have an education B) should be subservient to their husbands and C) be baby making machines.

I'd rather die than live like that. :(

Upvote 0
C

Calliso

I really feel sorry for those kids. They are basically being forced to be mini parents cause their parents refuse to stop having kids! Not to mention..I can;t even imagine the health affects this is having on the mother! I mean she has spent like half her life being pregnant *shudders* Also sad that the girls are basically being taught apparently that their sole purpose in life is to pop out babies and please their husband. :(

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I really feel sorry for those kids. They are basically being forced to be mini parents cause their parents refuse to stop having kids! Not to mention..I can;t even imagine the health affects this is having on the mother! I mean she has spent like half her life being pregnant *shudders* Also sad that the girls are basically being taught apparently that their sole purpose in life is to pop out babies and please their husband. :(
I agree.

But I think that this has now gone beyond merely pleasing the husband. Their aiming for bravado now.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

skipper

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Md
✟19,416.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't forget the income they get from TLC for doing the specials. Saw the one were TLC paid for the interior designer to come and do the house and furnish it. It's amazing. They have a 7,000 sq ft house but the kids rooms are like dorm rooms the girls share 1 room the boys share another. They're wonderfully decorated but, talk about no privacy you'd have to lock yourself in a bathroom to be alone.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0