• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Are the Walton's Family(Walmart) Christians?

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Zzub said:
Sounds like the unions to me...

Of course, people hate and attack success... it is the human way...

Not God's way though...
People hate and attack success that is off the lives and health of communities and workers. Bill Gates is successful and nobody hates him. Why? Because he is generous with his money and his time. He cares about his employees. Sam Walton is successful, but who benefits from it? His family. Certainly not his employees.

Sure, there are plenty of people who can work at his minimum wage jobs and MAYBE get promoted, if they are the right gender. (You probably are unaware of the lawsuits for sex discrimination.) Note, that most of those jobs are minimum wage and part-time, which frees Wal-Mart from having to provide benefits, like medical, dental or other such stuff. So, if you are a single woman having to support a family you probably won't really want to get a job at Wal-Mart, because other than a part-time job as a cashier or sales clerk, there isn't much there for you. The management positions are mostly for the men, unless the lawsuit has settled.

So, yes, the unions are going to slam WalMart. Unions get paid to protect employees. If you have been in the AFL-CiO, or studied unions, you know they were formed back when the mines were big in this country. Why did the mieworkers need a union? Study the history of the mineworkers union and then come back and tell me about how bad the unions are. Study the history of the women who worked in factories and died because of poor working conditions. Study the history of child labor laws and why they had to be passed because of the exploitation of children in the factories. Then come back and tell me that the only reason the unions dislike Wal-Mart is because of it's success.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I think we can all agree that the unions that started in this country don't really look like the ones we have now that have been about as corrupted as the politicians. In any case, I have seen plenty of news reports slamming Wal Mart for its practices of treating their employees without any respect and sundry other things like using illegal immigrant labor as cleaning crews. You can look at and criticize Wal Mart fairly and justly without even breathing the word "union" just fine.
And no, criticizing a company and calling them to account isn't unchristian. :angel:

Upvote 0

VioletAngel

God bless!
Feb 5, 2005
California
✟15,809.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is totally my opinion of course, but it seems that all corporations under pay their employees. Take any example, Round Table Pizza, Rite Aid, and on down the line. It's all minimum wages and few benefits. Also Rite Aid I know for a fact brings in over a billion dollars a year per store from the pharmacy alone. What do their employees get? They may get a 10¢ increase in their hourly wage if they have been there a year.

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Yes, but the solution for that is not the unions spreading malicious gossip about the company.

I don't know how it works in the States, but in the UK the union reps can be paid 6 figure salaries and do very little.

Cheers,
|ZZ|

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Zzub said:
Yes, but the solution for that is not the unions spreading malicious gossip about the company.

I don't know how it works in the States, but in the UK the union reps can be paid 6 figure salaries and do very little.

Cheers,
|ZZ|
I agree that unions aren't exactly "pure" as they should be by a long shot. I think we are all open to suggestions here as to how to get companies like Wal-Mart and others run in a way that actually furthers our society.
Bottom line from what I keep seeing is that corporate greed is waaay too prevalent in companies like Wal-Mart.

Personally, I don't need a union to tell me why not to shop at Wal-Mart. ; )

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Zzub said:

Cheers,
|ZZ|
What the unions are spreading is not malicious gossip, but facts that have been published in newspapers and court documents.

What is interesting is how you will vilify unions while lining the pockets of the greedy corporations. The question was about shopping at Wal-Mart. Here in the US, they don't treat their employees well. If you don't like unions, don't join them. I belong to one, and have studied them in great depth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Introduction

Lieff Cabraser and co-counsel represent separate classes of hourly wage earners at Wal-Mart in the States of Washington and New York who allegedly have been forced to work "off-the-clock" (without pay). The plaintiffs are current and former Wal-Mart employees who allege that Wal-Mart has violated state wage and hour laws.
Wal-Mart's Alleged Misconduct

The lawsuits in New York and Washington charge that Wal-Mart, the self-proclaimed fastest growing and largest private employer in the United States, has systematically avoided paying employees their full, earned wages. Wal-Mart provides perverse incentives for managers to lower overhead costs, the largest component of which is employee payroll, by offering financial compensation and bonuses.
Managers subsequently under-staff projects and Wal-Mart stores in general. These efforts force employees to work off-the-clock and through lunch and rest breaks. Managers pressure employees to complete assignments, while refusing to permit employees to stay on-the-clock for the full amount of time it takes to accomplish their duties.
The class action lawsuits include specific allegations that Wal-Mart:
  • understaffs its stores and pressures employees to complete assignments while refusing to permit employees to stay on-the-clock for the time it takes to accomplish them;
  • denies pay for time worked off-the-clock, through meal or rest breaks, and overtime; and
  • keeps employees locked in Wal-Mart stores after closing and requires that they remain there after clocking out until store managers have visited every department.
Experiences of Name Plaintiff Maria Gamble
One of the class representatives in the New York lawsuit, Maria Gamble of Suffolk County, New York, claims that while she worked at Wal-Mart as a customer service manager, Wal-Mart supervisors locked her in the store with her co-employees after the store closed when all employees were "off-the-clock." Ms. Gamble described her experiences at Wal-Mart:
"When I worked at Wal-Mart, we were routinely expected to work at times when we were not paid. The worst part of this was we were locked-in to the store at night. Every week, I worked at least one shift that went from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. When the store closed at the end of my shift, the manager or the person closing the store would lock the exterior doors but the hourly employees like me would have to remain in the store and restock merchandise and count out the cash registers, even though we had already clocked off and were not getting paid. The tasks we had to do after the store closed always took at least an hour-and-a-half, and often two hours. The doors weren't unlocked until the work was completed. There were other ways in which I wasn't paid for time I was working, as well, such as mandatory attendance at unpaid meetings, and times I had to work through lunch and breaks."

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
[/COLOR said:
madison1101]Introduction

Lieff Cabraser and co-counsel represent separate classes of hourly wage earners at Wal-Mart in the States of Washington and New York who allegedly have been forced to work "off-the-clock" (without pay). The plaintiffs are current and former Wal-Mart employees who allege that Wal-Mart has violated state wage and hour laws.
Wal-Mart's Alleged Misconduct

The lawsuits in New York and Washington charge that Wal-Mart, the self-proclaimed fastest growing and largest private employer in the United States, has systematically avoided paying employees their full, earned wages. Wal-Mart provides perverse incentives for managers to lower overhead costs, the largest component of which is employee payroll, by offering financial compensation and bonuses.
Managers subsequently under-staff projects and Wal-Mart stores in general. These efforts force employees to work off-the-clock and through lunch and rest breaks. Managers pressure employees to complete assignments, while refusing to permit employees to stay on-the-clock for the full amount of time it takes to accomplish their duties.
The class action lawsuits include specific allegations that Wal-Mart:
  • understaffs its stores and pressures employees to complete assignments while refusing to permit employees to stay on-the-clock for the time it takes to accomplish them;
  • denies pay for time worked off-the-clock, through meal or rest breaks, and overtime; and
  • keeps employees locked in Wal-Mart stores after closing and requires that they remain there after clocking out until store managers have visited every department.
Experiences of Name Plaintiff Maria Gamble
One of the class representatives in the New York lawsuit, Maria Gamble of Suffolk County, New York, claims that while she worked at Wal-Mart as a customer service manager, Wal-Mart supervisors locked her in the store with her co-employees after the store closed when all employees were "off-the-clock." Ms. Gamble described her experiences at Wal-Mart:
"When I worked at Wal-Mart, we were routinely expected to work at times when we were not paid. The worst part of this was we were locked-in to the store at night. Every week, I worked at least one shift that went from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. When the store closed at the end of my shift, the manager or the person closing the store would lock the exterior doors but the hourly employees like me would have to remain in the store and restock merchandise and count out the cash registers, even though we had already clocked off and were not getting paid. The tasks we had to do after the store closed always took at least an hour-and-a-half, and often two hours. The doors weren't unlocked until the work was completed. There were other ways in which I wasn't paid for time I was working, as well, such as mandatory attendance at unpaid meetings, and times I had to work through lunch and breaks."
Wow. I've heard of the lock-in thing before but forgot about it. Thanks for posting that! btw, could you post a link to this? I think I remember hearing a story about employees getting locked in a Wal-Mart then the managers forgot about them and left! The employees had to use cell phones to call for help to be let out. Wish I had a link for that!

I'd like to hear responses from Wal-Mart supporters on what they think of employees being locked in stores and made to work for free.

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Certain McDonald's restuarants came under fire in the UK for it.

Managers claimed they were put on pressure from on high.

As this was all over the media, I was managing a restaurant for McDonald's. It certainly was never a practise in my store, and no one ever put pressure on me to do it.

You cannot take a few incidents and accuse the whole company of the same crime.

Cheers,
|ZZ|

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
WalksWithChrist said:
Wow. I've heard of the lock-in thing before but forgot about it. Thanks for posting that! btw, could you post a link to this? I think I remember hearing a story about employees getting locked in a Wal-Mart then the managers forgot about them and left! The employees had to use cell phones to call for help to be let out. Wish I had a link for that!

I'd like to hear responses from Wal-Mart supporters on what they think of employees being locked in stores and made to work for free.
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/walmart%20lawsuit.htm

Upvote 0

msaved56

Nov 24, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Anti-Existence does not quote from the Bible correctly. Specifically Matthew 7:1
Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

We as Christians must judge all the time. Discernment means to judge. What Jesus is saying here is to judge by the correct standards. Don't judge people by standards you would not apply to yourself.
So the question are the Walton family believers ? Maybe Sam was not sure, but I would say no on the childrens part only because the Bible says a Christian will shine his light, produce good fruit , etc. I can't see any good fruit they have produced. They have at least 19 Billion dollars each and want more. Magazines say they are are pretty "cheap" as well. That tells me they have made money their God. They keep their stores open so that the employees must work on Holidays and my wife's store manager said they have been trying to get it where they can stay open on Christmas Eve & Day !!! Does this sound like the fruit of a Christian. No they are most likely seduced by Satan, but only God knows what is in Rob Walton's heart. As for the store and it's board Christian No. Money definetly comes first.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Anti-Existence does not quote from the Bible correctly. Specifically Matthew 7:1
Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

We as Christians must judge all the time. Discernment means to judge. What Jesus is saying here is to judge by the correct standards. Don't judge people by standards you would not apply to yourself.
So the question are the Walton family believers ? Maybe Sam was not sure, but I would say no on the childrens part only because the Bible says a Christian will shine his light, produce good fruit , etc. I can't see any good fruit they have produced. They have at least 19 Billion dollars each and want more. Magazines say they are are pretty "cheap" as well. That tells me they have made money their God. They keep their stores open so that the employees must work on Holidays and my wife's store manager said they have been trying to get it where they can stay open on Christmas Eve & Day !!! Does this sound like the fruit of a Christian. No they are most likely seduced by Satan, but only God knows what is in Rob Walton's heart. As for the store and it's board Christian No. Money definetly comes first.
:thumbsup:

I have family, on both sides, that works for and loves Wal-Mart. In Arkansas! So I have to watch what I say at family gatherings.
:cool:

Upvote 0

Stephen Cunningham

Feb 27, 2016
Texas
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
re the Walton's Family(Walmart) Christians? Or even any of the other major religions around the world?

The reason I am asking is because Sam Walton(deceased) and ther family do not practice any true Christian Values or any other religious values from other religions.

They are the majority shareholders in Walmart. They seem to care about all the employees working for them. Walmart aka Waltons' Family pays as little as possible for their employees, exploit labor, use child labor, rather see their employees die from poor healthcare coverage. We all know the story.

Also, Waltons family barely in any contribute or donate to any charities, religions, or churches. They lack any moral or ethic values. They lack any Christian, Jewish, or any other religious values.

They are probably the selfish family in the world. Borderline Evil!
Its funny how you all say judge least you be judged however judging and facts are two different things. So here are the facts. The Bible says if you see a hungry man and your eating a steak dinner your not suppose to give him a Bologna sand which. Other words the Walton's are eating steak dinners while there employees have to live on medicare and food stamps. That's a proven fact... Second Walmart motto world dominance sounds
re the Walton's Family(Walmart) Christians? Or even any of the other major religions around the world?

The reason I am asking is because Sam Walton(deceased) and ther family do not practice any true Christian Values or any other religious values from other religions.

They are the majority shareholders in Walmart. They seem to care about all the employees working for them. Walmart aka Waltons' Family pays as little as possible for their employees, exploit labor, use child labor, rather see their employees die from poor healthcare coverage. We all know the story.

Also, Waltons family barely in any contribute or donate to any charities, religions, or churches. They lack any moral or ethic values. They lack any Christian, Jewish, or any other religious values.

They are probably the selfish family in the world. Borderline Evil!
No they are not. Let me explain before you all get bent out of shape. The Bible says that the Devil wants world domination. That just happens to be Walmart motto. Greed is a sin there are more people on food stamps and medicaid at Walmarts the any other employer. The bible says if you see a man hungry and your eating a steak dinner your suppose to share the steak dinner. Walton's are giving away 2% to charity that's 2% of a 144 billion dollars. They make there employees work on Sundays to keep them out of the Lords house. This is not judgment this is facts.

Upvote 0