Are the Sacraments losing their relevance?

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
http://www.catholica.com.au/gc1/tm8/398_tm_050416.php

Here is a somewhat edgy commentary from a former priest about the Sacraments. The trends regarding Sacraments are not good. More people are receiving Communion but not going to Reconciliation. Fewer Catholic children are getting confirmed, and fewer baptized Catholics are having Church weddings.

The author asks whether the Sacraments are still relevant and whether we need to consider different ways that we connect to God. At the end of the article, he says that the Sacraments were instituted by men, not by Jesus. Told you it was edgy.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
More people are receiving Communion but not going to Reconciliation
Pragmatically speaking, at our Parish anyway, Reconciliation has a very narrow time slot, Saturday midday to 2.00pm and one other time slot on Friday. Not enough priests and not enough time.

Reactions: FrancesJames
Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Same here re Reconciliation. Not enough priests, not enough time.
Pragmatically speaking, at our Parish anyway, Reconciliation has a very narrow time slot, Saturday midday to 2.00pm and one other time slot on Friday. Not enough priests and not enough time.
So, is it that people don't go to confession because of the few opportunities, or has the time for confession been reduced due to lack of interest, lack of priests, or both?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So, is it that people don't go to confession because of the few opportunities, or has the time for confession been reduced due to lack of interest, lack of priests, or both?
I've only been back at church for 2 months. I've been to Confession once in that time because Of what I feel is a narrow window to choose from. I cant definitely say that people are missing confession.The day I went, there weren't many and we have a big parish, at least 2000.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my experience, even when you make a point of explicitly inviting people to confession (speaking to the congregation, I mean, not targeting individuals), people seldom come.

Now it's true that in Anglicanism we don't tell people they're obliged to come, but even so, unless they are facing a particular crisis it seems to me that people don't feel the need to come. And I am not sure why that is; I suspect it's complicated.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my experience, even when you make a point of explicitly inviting people to confession (speaking to the congregation, I mean, not targeting individuals), people seldom come.

Now it's true that in Anglicanism we don't tell people they're obliged to come, but even so, unless they are facing a particular crisis it seems to me that people don't feel the need to come. And I am not sure why that is; I suspect it's complicated.
Thanks for your perspective. If you do get any idea as to "why" please pass it on to us Catholics.

I wonder if people would rather have more of a listening and counseling session, which confession does not usually allow time for? I think the change to a face-to-face, more informal reconciliation was a step in that direction. It would be interesting to see a survey about that.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Back when I first converted it seemed like I was the only one who went to confession. I could breeze into church and into the box with no problem. I usually had a nice long chat with my pastor and he'd give me some spiritual direction as well. Recently, there has been a line when I've gone, so for some reason the folks at my parish are taking advantage of it.

When I was in Lourdes a couple of winters ago I had a nice long confession with a fantastic Irish priest. I probably talked to him for 45 minutes. At Lourdes they really encourage the pilgrims to take advantage of the Sacrament and have an entire building set aside for it. That priest and I were the only ones in the place. I really enjoyed the experience.

Maybe the Sacrament of Reconciliation is becoming irrelevant because it's not emphasized at the parish level. When I was in RCIA us baptized Christians weren't required to confess before we got confirmed although I'm pretty sure the rite requires it.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My understanding of Catholic confession obligation was to go at least once a year. Other than mortal sins your sins were forgiven during the general confession at Mass. Am I wrong about this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the Sacrament of Reconciliation is becoming irrelevant because it's not emphasized at the parish level.

Catholic priests at parish level have a genuine logistical problem. Say they have a regular congregation of 100 people coming to mass (just to pick a number). And say suddenly every one of those 100 decides to start coming to confession before each time they come to mass.

I'm not actually sure how long it would take to hear 100 such confessions, but I am pretty sure that could become close to a full time job in itself. For priests who are already very busy, how would they fit that in amongst their other work?

It sounds flippant, and it is a question of priorities, I know... but I have heard some Catholic priests say that they simply could not manage if suddenly everyone decided to start coming to confession often. So perhaps that's part of the problem?

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Catholic priests at parish level have a genuine logistical problem. Say they have a regular congregation of 100 people coming to mass (just to pick a number). And say suddenly every one of those 100 decides to start coming to confession before each time they come to mass.

I'm not actually sure how long it would take to hear 100 such confessions, but I am pretty sure that could become close to a full time job in itself. For priests who are already very busy, how would they fit that in amongst their other work?

It sounds flippant, and it is a question of priorities, I know... but I have heard some Catholic priests say that they simply could not manage if suddenly everyone decided to start coming to confession often. So perhaps that's part of the problem?

It's my impression that aside from saying mass, hearing confessions is the next greatest privilege of being a priest. It's hard for me to believe that hearing too many confessions would be an imposition and would certainly take precedence over any administrative duties which can easily be absorbed by the laity.

My pastor, back when he was able, would drop everything to hear my confession. That's what I love about him. His vocation was to be a pastor. [

I think the problem is more with, as with all the other sacraments, that we've lost touch with their importance and what they really signify. I can use my own parish as Exhibit A.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My understanding of Catholic confession obligation was to go at least once a year. Other than mortal sins your sins were forgiven during the general confession at Mass. Am I wrong about this?

You're correct. One of the five precepts of the Church is that you should confess your sins at least once a year.

Other than that, your sins are forgiven during the Penitential Act.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely, I would drop everything to hear a confession. That's not the issue. (Administrative duties being absorbed by the laity is more of an issue; I spend an enormous amount of time on admin. The laity tend to have the attitude that after all, that's why they have a priest...)

I was just pointing out - as I have heard Catholic priests say - that if everyone did come for confession, say, every week, there simply wouldn't be enough priest-hours to hear them all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely, I would drop everything to hear a confession. That's not the issue. (Administrative duties being absorbed by the laity is more of an issue; I spend an enormous amount of time on admin. The laity tend to have the attitude that after all, that's why they have a priest...)

I was just pointing out - as I have heard Catholic priests say - that if everyone did come for confession, say, every week, there simply wouldn't be enough priest-hours to hear them all.

LOL. I know, the laity, we aren't no bargain. God bless you for your service.

I'm just thinking if pastors are having a hard time keeping up with confessions, then that's a good thing. The lines that are accumulating at my home parish and my sister parish are a good thing. If we're doing down and dirty confessions, by name and number, then it doesn't take that long and the sacrament is just as efficacious.

My feeling is that my own home parish down plays the Sacrament of Reconciliation. That's why I wasn't required to confess my sins as a baptized Christian before receiving my first Holy Communion. In a way I feel like I was cheated out of the experience but in another way I know that I knew better than that and I should have, as I was given the opportunity, taken advantage of the sacrament.

All this to say, the sacrament is out there if we want it. As adults we're responsible for our physical health and in the same way we're responsible for our spiritual health. As for me (and I live in Catholicville) the sacrament is out there if I wish to my avail myself with it. I am without excuse. As for others who aren't surrounded by Catholic communities as I am, I feel for their desire and inability to access confessionals, but this is in no way to diminish the relevance of the sacrament.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
LOL. I know, the laity, we aren't no bargain. God bless you for your service.

:) I wouldn't do anything else. And I love the community where I minister, I really do. But we all grumble about our work sometimes, no?

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:) I wouldn't do anything else. And I love the community where I minister, I really do. But we all grumble about our work sometimes, no?

Tell me about it. I'm so blessed to be doing what I'm doing and yet I find I'm just a condemning so-and-so.

Fortunately I can recognize it and hope to change.

I really need to go to confession.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Re: Confession times. Here is an Orthodox pov.

Priests in my area usually hear confessions after vespers. This comes out to 1-2 times in the week and once on saturday evenings. They also hear confessions by appointment.

I don't regard my Father-Confessor as a 'spiritual director' or anything like that. Rather, I have other friends and mentors who hear and advise me.

Confession is for reconciliation with God through Christ. If/when I use it for curation of the self, I get messed up. But today we tend to understand things like confession in terms of curation of the self. Since we can find better help than priests for this, perhaps this is part of why confession has declined.

Upvote 0