Are strong emotions good or bad or indifferent?

Jothman

Jun 17, 2010
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Simple question. Is being very emotional a good or bad or indifferent thing in your opinion or based on christian opinion?

I am not sure what to think. Mood swings are bad, but relentless happiness/joy is wonderful. Deep passionate/romantic love is a beautiful thing, but anger fits are bad. Unending love for everyone is idealistic, but depression is terrible.

What do you think regarding the subject?

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Emotions are a wonderful thing. The ability to feel an emotion deeply is also wonderful. But, as with any good thing; you have to have balance in your life. To have emotions ruling your life, mood, and decisions is not a healthy thing. Personally, I think "taking every thought captive in obedience to Christ" is important within the Christian life to not letting emotions rule over you in a negative way. Something I have yet to master.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I used to view emotions as negatives, saw how much pain they caused some people. But then I realized that God created them and all that God created is good.

I came to see emotions as telling me how I was judging the situations and people around me. So we need to own our emotions and understand what they are telling us about our self. If they are too negative, hurting our self and others, then that is telling us we need to find another way to judge the person or situation. Own and feel the emotion for a responsible period, but then let the judgement go and enjoy God wonderful love for us as we live in His creation.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus wept.

In the garden, He sweated blood.

He was full of joy at times as well.

I think Jesus experienced human emotion in all of it's intensity. He was human; fully man. He didn't let his emotions sway Him or lead Him to sin, but felt just like we all do. His emotions didn't lead His life; even though he was nervous in the garden He didn't give in to that. He was obedient to God's will over His emotions.

Upvote 0

madetoworship

Who we were meant to be
Nov 19, 2006
California, United States
✟16,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Emotions are needed but self-control is necessary with it. Clarity of mind and heart through following Jesus Christ should precede human emotions.

Jesus was emotional - in the way He taught His disciples, in the way He rebuked the Pharisees, in the way He prayed to the Father, in the way He flipped the tables in the temple, etc.

But was Jesus focusing on God's Will in making decisions outside of just basing it on His emotions? I believe so!

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Owlette

Mar 21, 2012
✟95,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simple question. Is being very emotional a good or bad or indifferent thing in your opinion or based on christian opinion?

I am not sure what to think. Mood swings are bad, but relentless happiness/joy is wonderful. Deep passionate/romantic love is a beautiful thing, but anger fits are bad. Unending love for everyone is idealistic, but depression is terrible.

What do you think regarding the subject?

What a great topic ^_^

I guess as far as whether being an emotional person is good or bad, I would say neither, but I do think that emotions can really cloud your judgment if you're not careful. They can influence your decisions, your faith, your interactions with people, or even just how your day goes. I wouldn't want to live that way. I would rather let my faith be influenced by the truth and logic of the Bible, and let my decisions be based more on the best logical outcome, rather than being influenced by how I feel. But it's also like Miles says, it's what you do with your emotions that matters.

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have bipolar, and extreme mood swings are bad. However, often the result of medication is the complete loss of emotions, which is also bad. Thankfully, I have not experienced the complete dulling of emotions with my meds. Some people are not so lucky, and have to make the hard decision as to which is worse.

Also, I think emotions have their time and place. Except for extenuating circumstances, I don't think it's appropriate to lose complete control of your emotions in public settings, because it makes other people uncomfortable and most of the time they don't know how to help you anyway. Tearing up at a moving post on FB, or a touching praise song at church, reasonable. Sobbing uncontrollably for 30 minutes at a sappy movie, not reasonable. Sobbing uncontrollably for a while because your dad died, reasonable. Choking up when you're giving a speech about a topic most people would not find too emotional, but you do, not reasonable. Those are just my opinions, anyway.

Upvote 0