• Yes, in someplace besides heaven,

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Scripture speaks of judgement day and the wicked being punished for their sins. It also speaks of the elect being rewarded for their actions in following God. Now if God forgets all the sins of the saints how would it be that God would punish the saints after death?

Leave it to the Catholics to explain that one. The net result is that God is either unwilling or unable to forgive sins.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit through Paul teaches over and over that there is nothing we can do to be saved. It is only by entrusting ourselves to Jesus that we are saved. And he saves completely (Hebrews 7:25). All our acts are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6).

Saved people will "suffer loss" for things that were not usefully built on the foundation of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 3:14). I do not think this is a kind of punishment. I think the experience will be because of who we are as a result of what we have done or not done (when facing God). Everything that was hidden will be revealed (1 Corinthians 4:5 and others), which could include a revelation of our lives to ourselves (which will include praise from God).

Do not extend this to punishment for the unrighteous (unsaved). While the effect of facing God while under sin will be a terrible thing, God will punish those people due to the demands of his just nature.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Scripture speaks of judgement day and the wicked being punished for their sins. It also speaks of the elect being rewarded for their actions in following God. Now if God forgets all the sins of the saints how would it be that God would punish the saints after death?
Your observation isn't consistent as written. Scripture speaks of judgment day for the wicked, the unsaved. Those who are not one with the Saints.
The elect, the Saints, are rewarded after life for their faithfulness in following God who forgets all their sins the moment they repent and are renewed in his grace.

Therefore , the Saints aren't punished after death. The unrepentant wicked are.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Leave it to the Catholics to explain that one. The net result is that God is either unwilling or unable to forgive sins.
I believe you would be quite challenged to prove that with Jesus teachings in scripture.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
well lets see

we have St. Paul talking in 1rst Corinthians 3:14-15 about how if you do unworthy works but have Christ as your foundation, you will still be saved, but "only as one escaping flames"

1 Corinthians 3:14-15
If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

then we also have Revelation 21:27 saying that nothing unclean can enter Heaven, and all of us fallen humans have weaknesses and evil inclinations

also there is Matthew 12:32 where our Lord says this
"Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
hmm, that seems to imply that SOME sins may be forgiven in the age to come (other translations have this as the "world to come"

so yes, there seems to be some intermediary state of being or place between Earth and Heaven where God finishes the process of sanctification that He started in us here on Earth

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
well lets see

we have St. Paul talking in 1rst Corinthians 3:14-15 about how if you do unworthy works but have Christ as your foundation, you will still be saved, but "only as one escaping flames"

If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
Which is about as tangential to a proof of Purgatory as it's possible to have. The point has been made many times that having, maybe, one thing in common with "Purgatory" doesn't even come close to proving the reality of Purgatory. Why this obvious truth cannot be acknowledged continues to be disappointing.

then we also have Revelation 21:27 saying that nothing unclean can enter Heaven, and all of us fallen humans have weaknesses and evil inclinations
I'm willing to believe that those who are sent to hell are unclean and so belong there. There's no basis for making the verse say what it does not.

also there is Matthew 12:32 where our Lord says this
"Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
OK, blaspheming against the Holy Ghost will get you condemned, both at the first judgment and at the final judgment. No Purgatory involved with that.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well lets see
then we also have Revelation 21:27
also there is Matthew 12:32
so yes, there seems to be some intermediary state of being or place between Earth and Heaven where God finishes the process of sanctification that He started in us here on Earth
Do any of these offer insight to the possibility of punishment of saints after death?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well lets see

Wait, though. If you're going to provide a Catholic concept of punishment, you also have to consider the Catholic concept of "saint."

The question was:

Are saints punished after death?

So from a Catholic viewpoint, are saints punished after death?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Rev 21:27 says the saints are "those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life." This emphasizes the fact that our ticket to heaven is based on Jesus being a sacrifice for us to make us clean. This is explicitly stated in:

Revelation 7:13 Then one of the elders asked me, “These in white robes—who are they, and where did they come from?” 14 I answered, “Sir, you know.” And he said, “These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.​

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wait, though. If you're going to provide a Catholic concept of punishment, you also have to consider the Catholic concept of "saint."

The question was:

Are saints punished after death?

So from a Catholic viewpoint, are saints punished after death?
I didn't really consider this difference of saints for Catholics when I wrote the OP. I will clarify my original question asking about instead of saints, the elect, that would be all that are destined for heaven. From the Catholic perspective, they may address my question about the possibility of God punishing the elect in two places, heaven and "purgatory".

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, we have Hebrews 12:4-11 which . . . I consider . . . means that we who are children of God get His correction while we are still here on this earth.

"For if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons." (Hebrews 12:8)

And according to this scripture, God's correction produces "the peaceable fruit of righteousness" and we become "partakers of His holiness". So, this "chastening" is not merely punishment, but correction which produces God's own result . . . in our nature.

And 1 John 4:17 says,

"Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)

It says "Love has been perfected among us" . . . not "will be" or "might be" or "could be, if only we would . . . ".

So, our Heavenly Father succeeds now, no procrastination to another life. We have the correction of His love's perfection. But yes in our own egos we have failed, and a number of people have built their beliefs on how they have been failing, in their own trying and struggling. But our Heavenly Father succeeds, in His correction of us.

It seems there are Bible-claiming people who will say, oh, I'm not perfect and I never will be, in this life, but God loves me unconditionally so He will not keep me out of Heaven; but now I am vile and sinful and can't help it. But God doesn't see me, He sees Jesus. And so they keep on failing against their nasty stuff, giving in to negative and nasty reacting and lusts, and not in prayer seeking our Father's correction. But Hebrews 12:9-10, to me, clearly means we need to submit to our Father and actively seek Him for His correction. And, because He loves us > Hebrews 12:4-6 < He does not just leave us in our egotistical mess, but He corrects us into His love's "peaceable fruit of righteousness" and His own holiness which is in His love in us > Romans 5:5.

But if we excuse our failure, our nature of ego and self-seeking pleasure keeps us weak so we can keep on giving in to pain and hurts and unforgiveness and boredom and loneliness and fear and worry and hurry and stress, and dominating and dictatorial drives for pleasure and excitement, and revenge and nasty and uncompassionate anger and arguing and complaining. And as much as we stay in and obey this negative and nasty stuff, we miss out on how we could be enjoying God while pleasing Him in His love's "gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious" to Him > 1 Peter 3:4; and we can miss out on how His love would make us more and more all-loving like Him (Matthew 5:46) . . . in such personal sharing with Him (1 Corinthians 6:17).

So, God does not just punish us, but transforms us to meet His standard, better than our trying and crying can do.

Yes, Paul says there are ones whose works will burn, but they will be saved "as through fire." (in 1 Corinthians 3:14-15)

And Hebrews 12:29 says >

"For our God is a consuming fire." (Hebrews 12:29)

And God is God . . . now . . . "a consuming fire" (in Hebrews 12:29), now. He in us can correct us in the fire of His love which transforms us into the image of Jesus . . . burning away old self nature, and Jesus is being formed in us as our new inner Person, now > Galatians 4:19.

This is not punishment, by the way, but effective correction. But Hebrews 12:4-11 is clear how God's correction is "painful" . . . "grievous". But I understand that any pain of His correction is a side-effect, not the objective. Our selfish nature of our own egos makes a big stink and gets pained, about being corrected . . . while it is on its way out of us. We can not feel pain, except as much as we still have our selfishness-infected nature. But God transforms us into the image of Jesus, and so we ourselves become fiery so we can burn Satan and his nasty nonsense away from us > making him flee from us, by burning him from us >

"Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

So . . . how might this work? We can fool ourselves into doing ego stuff and calling this ministry or marriage. But God sees through us, and He resists us in our pride (in James 4:6, and in 1 Peter 5:5) so we fail and can get messy inside in our reacting to not being able to do what we have been trying to do. Then I can see . . . ah-hah! I am getting negative and nasty, but in God's love I would be enjoying Him, in spite of things not going my way. So, I am wrong, somehow. I need to stop, right now, and wait while God corrects me and restores me into His peace so I am sensitively sharing with Him in His love, then seek for however He pleases to personally guide me in His peace; and do not assume He will have me doing what I was doing when I fell into nasty and negative reacting.

Because while I am obeying God, His peace is safeguarding me, in my mind and heart. This includes how if we pray the way the Bible means >

"the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (in Philippians 4:5-6)

So, this is now . . . no procrastinating until after we die, no worshiping excuses. Because God is able, in us, now.

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

Upvote 0