Are non-Denominational Churches a denomination?

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, that.

"Protestant" seems to be a slur that RC's use - or maybe it's just the RC's I know. Not always, but a great deal of the time. I'm juts a follower of Christ - why all the labels? :confused: Heck, I don't even have a non-denom icon here on CF.

I get that feeling too in regards to Catholics using the term "Protestant". :o

I was talking to a dear friend who attends a local Church of Christ, he knows some people that feel that if you worship with a congregation that isn't called Church of Christ or Church of God that they are "wrong" for lack of a better word. That's how crazy some people are about labels.

(Oh, he could care less what your congregation calls itself, he doesn't get hung up on titles/labels)

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If there are some non-denoms. who think of themselves simply as Christians, do you also consider other groups, such as groups that identify as Protestant, Roman Catholic, etc. as Christians?

Yes, our ecumenicism knows no bounds. Except for Mormons.

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

OK, that was a tad glib. Sorry Mormons.

My feeling as a Christian with no denomination is that anyone who accepts Jesus sacrifice is a Christian. More or less.

Now, the intricacies involved in that acceptance may be different for different people; but if I just met a person and they said they were Christian, I wouldn't doubt them and I wouldn't question them about their denomination or what their specific tenets are.

I don't know if this is a part of the non-denom ethos as a whole, but I certainly feel that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oceansmile

Sep 4, 2012
✟15,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If there are some non-denoms. who think of themselves simply as Christians, do you also consider other groups, such as groups that identify as Protestant, Roman Catholic, etc. as Christians?

I do (although I personally can't consider non-Trinitarian groups Christians. Sorry Mormons). I believe that there are "saved" Christians in all denominations, just as I believe not all non-denominational Christians are "saved". It's your faith in Christ, not what church you go to. Or something.

Upvote 0
H

HalupkiMonster

I do (although I personally can't consider non-Trinitarian groups Christians. Sorry Mormons). I believe that there are "saved" Christians in all denominations, just as I believe not all non-denominational Christians are "saved". It's your faith in Christ, not what church you go to. Or something.
I love it! :)

Thank you all for the explanations, and for not returning my ignorance with anger or offense.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wondered how long it would take non-doms to become a dom.
Yes they are as much as any other group. It is just another way to get people to attend their service. People are people the world around. They love to be part of a group and say who is and isn't christian.
Disciple says it best.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,814.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

But the Mormons worship another Jesus. The Mormon Jesus. They will say it that way too. The Mormon Jesus who will come back and rule with Joseph Smith. They have been to my house, and this is what they say.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As for the op, anyone that says they are a christian, has that freedom in my book.
God sent not his son into the world to condem the world, but that the world thru him might be saved.
Compitition and fear causes division and quarrels. Otherwise the unity of the faith would be much
farther along. Jesus said, if I be lifted up from the world, I will draw all men unto me.
Lets lift Jesus higher. And give all people the freedom to do the same with their lives and voices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But the Mormons worship another Jesus. The Mormon Jesus. They will say it that way too. The Mormon Jesus who will come back and rule with Joseph Smith. They have been to my house, and this is what they say.

Right.

Which is why I said Except for Mormons...

As in: "I do not consider Mormons to be Christians."

Not by my understanding of Christianity, anyway; but I'm no theologian.

I think we are on the same page with this.:)

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh they are as christian as anyone else.
Every denomination has christians. To think otherwise is just spiritual pride.

If one really studies Mormon religion, you might not be so quick to say they are "as christian as anyone else". I'll have to disagree with you strongly on that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And you could nit-pick any denomination the same way.
Every church has christians, to think otherwise is just spiritual pride.
I feel strongly about that.

Every Jewish church, every Hindu church, every Satanic church? LDS is also another religion. Nobody here is questioning the conviction of their beliefs. We're just stating a simple fact that as non-denoms most of us consider all denominations to be Christians; Mormons are not a denomination in the same way Christianity is not a denomination of Judaism.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you could nit-pick any denomination the same way.
Every church has christians, to think otherwise is just spiritual pride.
I feel strongly about that.

They worship a god that they believe will make them their own "Christs" on their own planet, if their works are good enough.

Sorry, that's not Christianity.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What's with this 'most of us'? Is there a poll going on?
And I was referring to christian denominations, not those who claim not to be christian.
Did not mention ' religion' at all.
Christians are those who name Jesus Christ of Nazareth as their Lord and Savior.

Upvote 0
Apr 8, 2004
Schwandorf, Germany
✟9,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What's with this 'most of us'? Is there a poll going on?
And I was referring to christian denominations, not those who claim not to be christian.
Did not mention ' religion' at all.
Christians are those who name Jesus Christ of Nazareth as their Lord and Savior.

Ah, I think I took your post out of context. Possibly due to the quote you started it off with. Apologies. And 'Most of us' is a reference to the observation that non-denoms generally do not say that denominations are un-Christian.

Upvote 0

Alienated

Greateful servant
Jan 17, 2013
✟8,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've gone to allot of (non-denom) and I don't think they know what they believe. Nobody reads their Bibles, and each church has it's own special little twist on things. But one thing will always be true. Where theres bad teaching, theres bad morals ! Their so worried about offending anyone, it's only watered down. And real cliqueish,and no longer has any resemblance of Christianity. I live in the Bible Belt, and their NUTS here...

Upvote 0