Are non-believers fools?

Jan 2, 2011
✟15,161.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good."
Psalms 14:1

This verse seems very clear to me, and yet I know there are many non-believers who seem to be very intelligent and morally righteous. How can these two conflicting ideas be reconciled?

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
"The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good."

This verse seems very clear to me, and yet I know there are many non-believers who seem to be very intelligent and morally righteous. How can these two conflicting ideas be reconciled?

First consider you own statement.....

The verse says, the fool said, "there is no God." It does not say the non believer is a fool.

Is God calling atheists fools?

Believers of other faiths have gods, they do not say, "there is no god". Only athiests say that.

Upvote 0
B

Benevolous

First, it has nothing to do with intelligence.

Second, they're not morally righteous. If you probe a little deeper, you'll find that they're sinners like the rest of us.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Psa 14:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

There are no fools who say that God does not exist that are good or that understand that God will bring back Israel from captivity and establish His Kingdom forever in the Land of Promise.

7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

Psa 92:5 O LORD, how great are thy works! and thy thoughts are very deep.

6 A brutish man knoweth not; neither doth a fool understand this.

7 When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; it is that they shall be destroyed for ever:

8 But thou, LORD, art most high for evermore.

9 For, lo, thine enemies, O LORD, for, lo, thine enemies shall perish; all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.

10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2011
✟15,161.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, nonbelievers are fools. Many knowledgeable people lack wisdom, sadly.

So Noam Chomsky, Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Thomas Edison, Francis Crick, Marie Curie, Daniel Dennett, Steven Pinker, Richard Feynman, Karl Popper, just to name a few, are foolish and unwise? These are some of the greatest philosophers, mathematicians, and scientists who have ever lived; and it's an undeniable fact that without them the world would be a much more terrible place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mixolydian

Lord I believe; help my unbelief.
Oct 7, 2008
Kansas
✟11,433.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It's spiritual wisdom. The only wisdom that has eternal consequence. Paul descibes it in 1st Corinthians:

We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. However, as it is written:

“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”
the things God has prepared for those who love him—

these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, for,
“Who has known the mind of the Lord
so as to instruct him?”

But we have the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Hmm, perhaps. How would you define wise?

According to the Bible; The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'

Admittedly, it is then circular reasoning to conclude that all atheists are fools, but in terms of a theistic pov, this is indeed the case; in a world where God is, those who do not accept him are indeed fools.

I wouldn't worry, however. I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual, even if atheists are too polite to actually express it. :)

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
So basically, in order to be wise, you have to be A Christian?

Well, I am not sure that is how I would put it. Perhaps better is again as the Bible says; the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. :)

I think it is best to accept that this is one kind of wisdom, and that there are very many others. Nobody is really saying that all atheists are dim, but perhaps only that in relation to theological truth this may well be the case.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2011
✟15,161.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, I am not sure that is how I would put it. Perhaps better is again as the Bible says; the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. :)

I think it is best to accept that this is one kind of wisdom, and that there are very many others. Nobody is really saying that all atheists are dim, but perhaps only that in relation to theological truth this may well be the case.

I know that isn't how you would put it, because it sounds horrible. And yet it's what you guys are telling me. The thought that God would send all of the people I listed to Hell is ludicrous. Is Bertrand Russell really burning in a lake of fire right now? I can't respect a God that would do that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I know that isn't how you would put it, because it sounds horrible. And yet it's what you guys are telling me. The thought that God would send all of the people I listed to Hell is ludicrous. Is Bertrand Russell really burning in a lake of fire right now? I can't respect a God that would do that.

I am afraid you are tilting at windmills. Anglicans tend not to believe in a literal hell fire, so no, BR is not burning anywhere. He is partaking of the love, mercy and compassion of God, but more than that, I am not knowledgable enough to say.

If you are going to choose not to believe in God, at least choose one worth not believing in. :wave:

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I can't respect a God that would do that.
Your choice. But when you face Him after your body dies, assuming you still have that point of view then, you will probably say at least to yourself something like "I've been such a......"

Mixolydian answered your question quite well, by the way.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Then explain these ludicrous things and yes you are correct there is no literal Hell.

And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall pay a penalty of everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; 2Th 1:7-9

The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name. Exo 15:3

Pr 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for Himself, yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Joh 19:11 Jesus answered, "Thou couldest have no power at all against Me, unless it were given thee from above. Therefore he that delivered Me unto thee hath the greater sin."

Psalm 90:1-4

(1) Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.
(2) Before the mountains were brought forth,
Or ever You had formed the earth and the world,
Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.
(3) You turn man to destruction,
And say, "Return, O children of men."

Zephaniah 1:12

(12) " And it shall come to pass at that time
That I will search Jerusalem with lamps,
And punish the men
Who are settled on their lees,
Who say in their heart,
' The LORD will not do good,
Nor will He do evil.'

Amos 3:13-14

(13) Hear and testify against the house of Jacob,"
Says the Lord GOD, the God of hosts,
(14) " That in the day I punish Israel for their transgressions,
I will also visit destruction on the altars of Bethel;
And the horns of the altar shall be cut off
And fall to the ground.

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the destroyer to destroy.

Exo 12:23 For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you.

Heb 11:28 Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood,lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.

1Co 10:10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

for the Lord, seeing the blood sprinkled, as above, when he smote the firstborn of Egypt, passed by the houses of the Israelite

Amo 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?

Upvote 0

Hog Red

Narrow Minded
Jul 29, 2008
Arkansas
✟8,133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So Noam Chomsky, Bertrand Russell, Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking, Thomas Edison, Francis Crick, Marie Curie, Daniel Dennett, Steven Pinker, Richard Feynman, Karl Popper, just to name a few, are foolish and unwise? These are some of the greatest philosophers, mathematicians, and scientists who have ever lived; and it's an undeniable fact that without them the world would be a much more terrible place.

yea, who was the genius that invented the atomic bomb? the world is such a better place with our geniuses. the word unwise does not even come close.

Upvote 0