TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
There has been a lot of confusion since CF made it's ruling that Mormons and JWs are not valid Christian faiths.
There has been anger and hurt feelings...and accusations flung back and forth.
Many of us feel that this decision was right and proper. There are basic tenets of Christianity that simply may not be compromised.
Many others feel that the decision was unfair. They feel that, as long as someone believes in Jesus he or she is a Christian, regardless what other strange doctrines he/she might hold.
Wdo you think?

Reactions: Albion

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There has been a lot of confusion since CF made it's ruling that Mormons and JWs are not valid Christian faiths.
There has been anger and hurt feelings...and accusations flung back and forth.
Many of us feel that this decision was right and proper. There are basic tenets of Christianity that simply may not be compromised.
Many others feel that the decision was unfair. They feel that, as long as someone believes in Jesus he or she is a Christian, regardless what other strange doctrines he/she might hold.
Wdo you think?
I think that participation in the resurrection of anyone other than myself is dependent on God, and he hasn't shared that knowledge with me.

Otoh, if the question is whether Mormon or Watchtower teachings are Christian then I can answer "no" with confidence. And afaik that is why those teachings are limited to this forum. But as for individuals, I'm comfortable following Paul's advice: "What business have I judging outsiders? God judges those outside.".

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand the Nicene creed required by CF, but there are a lot of denominations with different beliefs and interpretations of scripture. I certainly consider members of these denominations to be Christian, but recognize that they are very distinct flavors.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
People have the right to define themselves as they wish. The Ahmadi community has the right to call themselves Muslims. Mormons and JWs have the right to call themselves Christian. Looking from the outside, the LDS appears to have all the makings of an independent world religion, but if they choose to call themselves Christians, that's what I will call them.

As for the JW, I don't really see them as that much different from other evangelical sects.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Having to deal with Messianic Judaism claiming to be Judaism, I think I do actually understand why Christians want to be able to define their religion and state who is not part of it. Most who practice Judaism object loudly to the idea that Messianic Judaism is in any way Judaism. I don't think I would take the ability to define the beliefs that make a person part of your faith away from people.

Upvote 0

dfw69

Pre-Tribulation Pre- False Messianic Age
Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟71,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having to deal with Messianic Judaism claiming to be Judaism, I think I do actually understand why Christians want to be able to define their religion and state who is not part of it. Most who practice Judaism object loudly to the idea that Messianic Judaism is in any way Judaism. I don't think I would take the ability to define the beliefs that make a person part of your faith away from people.

Loammi what's the difference between Judaism and messianic Judaism?....are there subtle differences. or major ones?

does messianic Judaism teachings break any of the commandments of Talmud and Torah laws?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Loammi what's the difference between Judaism and messianic Judaism?....are there subtle differences. or major ones?

does messianic Judaism break any of the commandments of Talmud and Torah laws?

It's pretty simple. Messianic Judaism is Christianity with a Jewish veneer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a little more complicated than that...do you have a position?

I'm sure they think it's more complicated, but they very don't differ theologically from Evangelical Christianity in any real way. They don't belong in Judaism, they belong in Christianity and no amount of saying otherwise lets them fit into the standard beliefs of Judaism.

Upvote 0

dfw69

Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟71,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure they think it's more complicated, but they very don't differ theologically from Evangelical Christianity in any real way. They don't belong in Judaism, they belong in Christianity and no amount of saying otherwise lets them fit into the standard beliefs of Judaism.
So do you see the movement as a threat to Judaism?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dfw69

Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟71,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Threat? No. I see it as usurping my faith in an attempt to trick Jews into thinking they are still within Judaism when they have left and cut themselves off from the community.
What would messianic have to do to get right with hashem in Judaism?...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.