Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No, the mystics were not at all influenced by Darwin. The mystics believe in achieving a direct, personal encounter with God, a transcendental experience. I don't know about the TV show you saw. I am simply pointing out that "evolution" fist appears in a sacred context.

The Latin word evolutio preceded the English word evolution and both preceded Darwin who preceded the nineteenth century so yours cannot be the first usage.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Latin word evolutio preceded the English word evolution and both preceded Darwin who preceded the nineteenth century so yours cannot be the first usage.
No, that isn't correct. The term "evolution" was first introduced as a theological and soteriological one by she theosophists. It first appeared in an article by Baader on evolutionism and revolutionism or positive and negative evolution of life in general, in the Bayerische Annalen, Vol. 28, 219-224. See E. Benz, "The Mystical Sources of German Romantic Philosophy," pp. 49-50. It may come from Latin; however, it was not in general usage until the 18th-19th century theosophists came along.

Upvote 0

Robert Palase

May 9, 2016
UK
✟1,434.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Or is evolution a myth when it comes to human beings?
Evolution is not a myth it is a fact, what you have been told to believe has nothing to do with what is true, we are animals so what is true for all animals is just as true for us.

Which part of us tells you we do not belong to the ape family, our brains?

Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, the mystics were not at all influenced by Darwin. The mystics believe in achieving a direct, personal encounter with God, a transcendental experience. I don't know about the TV show you saw. I am simply pointing out that "evolution" fist appears in a sacred context.
The first way a word was used is irrelevant to following uses that are unrelated to that use. Context matters too. If I call someone a "boob", would you say I was calling them a female breast, or an idiot, and does which use of the word came first matter at all?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
When did man fully become 'modern' man?

When did Spanish become fully 'modern' Spanish, if it evolved from Latin?

There is no fixed point. There is no line one can draw where we can say that it is generation 1 of Homo sapiens, while the direct parents where not homo sapiens.

That's kind of the thing with gradualism. For example...

upload_2016-5-11_10-3-1.png

What is the first fully blue word in this text?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
When did man fully become 'modern' man?

As mentioned by others, that is going to be an arbitrary time in history. When scientists describe "modern man" they use the term "anatomically modern human". One of the features I often look for when looking at human fossils is the chin. Anatomically modern humans have a forward facing process on their chin that isn't present in earlier humans. In colloquial terms, non-modern humans could not have a cleft chin.

Neandertal_modern_human_skulls.gif

Take a look at the front edge of the lower jaw for both of these skulls. If you go to the skull on the right and follow the line from the teeth and down along the front of the lower jaw, notice how it goes forward. Notice how that same feature is not present on the skull on the left. That is one of the minor differences that differentiates a modern human from an earlier human, but it is one that is easy to pick up on.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As mentioned by others, that is going to be an arbitrary time in history. When scientists describe "modern man" they use the term "anatomically modern human". One of the features I often look for when looking at human fossils is the chin. Anatomically modern humans have a forward facing process on their chin that isn't present in earlier humans. In colloquial terms, non-modern humans could not have a cleft chin.

Neandertal_modern_human_skulls.gif

Take a look at the front edge of the lower jaw for both of these skulls. If you go to the skull on the right and follow the line from the teeth and down along the front of the lower jaw, notice how it goes forward. Notice how that same feature is not present on the skull on the left. That is one of the minor differences that differentiates a modern human from an earlier human, but it is one that is easy to pick up on.

Did this characteristic chin appear gradually or suddenly. It does give the skull a rather dignified appearance doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Did this characteristic chin appear gradually or suddenly. It does give the skull a rather dignified appearance doesn't it?

I wouldn't be surprised if it came about suddenly, in geological terms. If memory serves, a strong chin is also considered an attractive feature for both men and women, which is interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't be surprised if it came about suddenly, in geological terms. If memory serves, a strong chin is also considered an attractive feature for both men and women, which is interesting.

Perhaps God has such a chin. :bow:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since humans tend to give human features to the deities they invent, it wouldn't be surprising.

And all this time I though God invented us. :doh:

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While humans are obviously the result of evolution, we've done such a good job of removing natural selection pressures that we're almost certainly not evolving any more. At least, certainly not in the "natural selection " sense. We are still very much subject to artificial selection, and possibly to disastrous effect, if the dysgenecists are right.

Upvote 0