Are Guys Who Share Their Emotions a Turn-Off?

Q

Quoth

Over the past few weeks, I've found that I've unwittingly been party to several conversations about what women look for in a guy. It's been interesting, to say the least. For the most part, I was not actively involved in the conversation, but they took place within earshot and I couldn't help but overhear them.

Some women were obviously superficial in describing the kind of guy they're after. One conversation lasted a torturous hour, and involved discussion between two women about how much cleavage to show a guy to attract him. Other women were decidedly more focused on men who were "successful" by a certain standard: they have a high-paying job, they drive a nice car, they dress a certain way, etc.

One conversation I didn't hear was one regarding a man who shows emotion. Of course, no one wants someone who is completely emotional. I know this from personal experience, because I used to wear every emotion I had on my sleeves, and I quickly found that folks didn't want to be around me (especially since my emotions can change at the drop of a hat). Over time, I've learned to rein it in, but I still don't hide how I feel when asked.

The problem I'm finding is that with my cyclothymia (a mild form of bipolar where the person swings from depression to agitation rather than happiness), I feel emotions very deeply. If I'm angry, it can come across as, "I'm gonna rip your face off." If I'm attracted to someone, it can come across as feelings of love. When I truly love someone, it can come across as "you are my world and I would die without you".

There's another side of me that logically assesses my emotions and reins them in. I can be boiling with rage, but I express it by not smiling, not talking, and eschewing any attempts at conversation or company. If I seem to be giving folks the cold shoulder, it's because I'm angry and don't want to take it out on them. I prefer to point my frustration at the cause of my frustration (which is typically myself).

If I like a woman, it can be torture for me. I have to fight to not want her company all the time. Left to my unfettered emotions, I can be clingy and want her to be by my side all the time. However, the "filter" I put my emotions through will restrain me and I just have to deal with the feeling that she's not as into me as I'm into her. It'll probably be that way even when I'm married, unless I marry someone who truly can't get enough of me (which I doubt).

What this rabbit trail is eventually getting to is this: it's a stereotype in American culture that guys don't share their emotions, and I'm wondering if women appreciate a more stolid guy or a guy who actually wants to talk about how he feels. Ladies, what say you?

T

toastface_grillah

Over the past few weeks, I've found that I've unwittingly been party to several conversations about what women look for in a guy. It's been interesting, to say the least. For the most part, I was not actively involved in the conversation, but they took place within earshot and I couldn't help but overhear them.

Some women were obviously superficial in describing the kind of guy they're after. One conversation lasted a torturous hour, and involved discussion between two women about how much cleavage to show a guy to attract him. Other women were decidedly more focused on men who were "successful" by a certain standard: they have a high-paying job, they drive a nice car, they dress a certain way, etc.

These women will find the kind of guy they deserve. I'll leave the actual question answering to the ladies, as requested.

Upvote 0

shinkou

Mar 17, 2011
✟8,293.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I don't know about American girls, but I know many girls here like the guy that can show his emotions. I do not know if you are familiar about the word metrosexual, but it is very popular in many Asian communities. Many girls here likes the guy that wants to be together all the time.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I can't say for sure but I do known that guys look down on other guys who share their feelings and emotions. I try not to be too obvious about how I feel because it's not considered manly. I don't know how women feel about it though.

Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't really think the issue would be the expression of emotions but which emotions are expressed and at what stage they are expressed in a relationship. And how they are expressed.

^ this

So, many women will say one thing because they happen to be in the mood at that moment to say it.......

And then say they exact opposite a very short while later because they are in a different mood......

Moral of story....catch 'em when the mood is right......

they like whatever madison ave is selling this year

hey hey hey now :nono:

These women will find the kind of guy they deserve. I'll leave the actual question answering to the ladies, as requested.

images

As for me, and this is what I like in general from both genders, show me your emotion (if it means being truthful). Cut the bull, point a-> point b, and tell me what's goin on. I'll respect something more that hurts than something sugar-coated or left unsaid. Regarding attraction, yes I look for guys that will be open with me. I'm not asking you to have a kleenex mome--night with me. But do please feel you can speak your thoughts to me and recieve it back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can tell you from experience of the last few months and the emotions I have gone through and the person I have gone through those emotions with....everything was more real in that way. I got to truly see the person more because he was able to express those emotions, rather then always being the "logical, solid" man who said what must be said in the right order. I admit at times I wanted that, because I was so overwhelmed that I wanted him to be strong about it, but the more he showed what he was feeling the more strength I saw in him. Quoth, I do speak for myself when I say this and from a person who is at times is very, very emotional I am okay with a man who is that way. And other times I shut down so much I don't and can't talk for a long time. I am okay with a man who wants to be with me enough to share those emotions. And I am okay with a man who is going to shut down sometimes and need time. When he is ready I will be there! But, when he is ready and I am not there for whatever reason, I would want him to share those with others so that he doesn't in some ways suffer more by shutting down everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A guy sharing his emotions is like a faucet. Is it better for the faucet to be off or to be totally on all the way? A man should show his emotions appropriately.

And that's where we stand. We all have issues or problem areas, and I can tell you all day what is accepted or not IMO. The issue is that you yourself are having trouble controlling yourself (regulating your faucet). So, trying to apply your struggles to a species in general isn't going to be productive. In other words, have you sought help, counseling, or a program that kind of helps to reset your thought process (that applies to the MH diagnosis) This can turn into a whole NUTHA thread. But, overall none of us are going to give you an answer you yourself can see as valid right now, because ...well we can't "fix" you. See? So, Im not going to try to give you answers other than I'll pray for you and hope you get the type of help that you need. I'll go crazy. You'll go crazy. Everyone reading will go crazy. We're bumping fists here because neither side can relate.

I can tell you, because I dont you to feel like you're something of a waste. If you are, then I am. Ive had my own share of MH issues in the past, so I'm right there with ya. Only I'll just say that you have issues that you need to try and work out through prayer/counseling/behavioral training, and no one else can do it for you. Nothing with "click" till you do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think a guy who appropriately shows his emotion is a turn off. If he's upset or crying about something 24/7, then that's not appropriate. If he is touched and affected by the moment, and sheds a few tears of sorrow or joy, then that's appropriate. I'm not a fan of tempers so if I see a guy getting upset about everything, all of the time, then that's kind of a no for me. God calls us all to be in control of our tempers. I understand that you have a condition Rob, that's an exception, but in general, to ME, I find it a turn of if a guy is being a big baby all the time, throwing tantrums.

Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian
I'm an emotional guy. I don't always show it and I try not to wear my heart on my sleeve, but once I get to know a girl well, I start to let my guard down and show her the deep emotional states that I sometimes have. It could be a turn-off for some women, but that's just who I am. I don't plan on trying to change that fundamental part of who I am for any girl or woman. If she's right for me, she will appreciate my depth, not despise me for it. :)

Upvote 0

LifebyChrist

Take heart
Jan 12, 2011
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most women have enough stress and or drama, that is why it is not good to bring more stress and drama.

When I had a girlfriend I was the happiest when we did not talk about our emotions, we just played games, walked around or just talked about school or asked random stuff for fun.

Upvote 0