Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Job8, I split this topic out.

I've read the Baptist came out from the English Separatists in the 1600s. That would place the Baptist denom nearly a century after Martin Luther. So you still consider this outside of the reformation? If anything, they took reforming to a whole new level and what you see today in Nondenominational churches is reforming the church to a newer level.

Last edited:

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Martin Luther was only the beginning, and some would say it didn't even begin with Luther. Human institutions are prone to corruption and change over time, so it takes repeated reformation just to stay in one place, or even to stay in one general vicinity. The Baptist church will need to be reformed some day, and the church that follows it will eventually need to be reformed, also. The final reformation will arrive on a white horse.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Prior to the formal Protestant Reformation, God had raised up many dissenters within the RCC. God had caused the major rift through Martin Luther's primarily because the leaders of Germany supported and protected him from the RCC. Perhaps the most significant of that support being the Gutenberg printing press enabling major proliferation of Martin Luther's writings.
The primary issues addressed regarding reformation from Rome's teaching focused on the way of salvation. As far as it had concerned the doctrine of justification, infant baptism was no longer considered salvific. Although many Protestants still baptise babies, this reformed perspective is what led others to consider several factors with regard to the mode of baptism, etc.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Job8, I split this topic out.

I've read the Baptist came out from the English Separatists in the 1600s. That would place the Baptist denom nearly a century after Martin Luther. So you still consider this outside of the reformation? If anything, they took reforming to a whole new level and what you see today in Nondenominational churches is reforming the church to a newer level.
There are basically three views of Baptist history. One, which I hold to because of my study of Baptist history, is the Spiritual kinship view. It holds that Baptist have never been a part of the Roman Church but consisted in various groups such as the Waldenses and Paulicans. We have a spiritual kinship with them that unites us in various doctrinal truths.

Then the is the English Baptist view which holds that the Baptist generated from the English Separatists who were first called Baptists in the 1600's.

Last there is the Trail of Blood view which traces its direct lineage back to the Apostles and often do not believe in the universal church but only the local assembly. This is the Landmark view.

Upvote 0