Are Baptist Chruches really wanting new members?

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Because it is wrong for me to invade their space...I've gotten to where I realize they have their thing and so let them do it...shame we don't have any Free-Will Baptists around here ;)

We've got tons of Free Will Baptists around here. Just open any cupboard door and they'll come pouring out. I can hardly walk to the bathroom without stepping on one.

Let me be straight with you for a minute. If you want to get offended by it, then it's your prerogative, but I'm just a rat with a bell, and I've got a job to do. The truth is that I think you're making excuses. You started with one reason for not attending, and you transitioned to a completely different reason. I've attended church for years and never had to get a "Where are you?" letter to keep coming back. That was your first argument, and I don't think you're such a softy that you need to be coddled along just to go to church. Your second argument wasn't a whole lot better. I've never attended a church that I agreed with one hundred percent, and I don't think you have, either. In fact, I think only the senior pastors in here can make that claim (sorry pastors, but sometimes you blow it up there). Unless this church is teaching salvation by some other means than grace through Christ, or unless they are advocating immorality, then they are probably your brothers and sisters in Christ. I don't seriously think you feel the need to control every aspect of the church's doctrine in order to get along. That's the attitude of the super-fragile, because such a person feels shaken and disturbed every time someone doubts his beliefs, to the point that he lacks the fortitude to politely accept their differences. No, I don't think that's it at all. If I can attend church every week and put up with a few differences, then a tough guy like you should have no problem. Your only purpose in going to church every week isn't to have someone pet you and tell you that you're right about everything.

Like I say, I don't think those are the reasons keeping you out of church every week. Those are the excuses of a weak person, and I don't think you're a weak person. Something else is bugging you.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Um. Maybe hes having issues with his family.
Look..i dont know why you think they snubbed you but it cuts both ways...and...i dont think if they didnt contact you that you can assume that they think you are lost.

God has never dragged me to church or asked me why I wasnt attending. So I dont expect people to do that either. He reminds me to attend sometimes and even sometimes he says not to go to a certain church. You need to follow His lead.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We've got tons of Free Will Baptists around here. Just open any cupboard door and they'll come pouring out. I can hardly walk to the bathroom without stepping on one.

Let me be straight with you for a minute. If you want to get offended by it, then it's your prerogative, but I'm just a rat with a bell, and I've got a job to do. The truth is that I think you're making excuses. You started with one reason for not attending, and you transitioned to a completely different reason. I've attended church for years and never had to get a "Where are you?" letter to keep coming back. That was your first argument, and I don't think you're such a softy that you need to be coddled along just to go to church. Your second argument wasn't a whole lot better. I've never attended a church that I agreed with one hundred percent, and I don't think you have, either. In fact, I think only the senior pastors in here can make that claim (sorry pastors, but sometimes you blow it up there). Unless this church is teaching salvation by some other means than grace through Christ, or unless they are advocating immorality, then they are probably your brothers and sisters in Christ. I don't seriously think you feel the need to control every aspect of the church's doctrine in order to get along. That's the attitude of the super-fragile, because such a person feels shaken and disturbed every time someone doubts his beliefs, to the point that he lacks the fortitude to politely accept their differences. No, I don't think that's it at all. If I can attend church every week and put up with a few differences, then a tough guy like you should have no problem. Your only purpose in going to church every week isn't to have someone pet you and tell you that you're right about everything.

Like I say, I don't think those are the reasons keeping you out of church every week. Those are the excuses of a weak person, and I don't think you're a weak person. Something else is bugging you.

:oldthumbsup: Spot on dude...

I'm not much of a "protestant/baptist" sort...probably fit in with the conservative Anglicans or Eastern Orthodox or conservative Lutheran folks....still, props for a very good post!

One of the things that bugs me there is that the SS teacher and pastor won't stand up for Baptists distinctives...just be bold enough to face me and I'll respect you...when weasel around and ignore me and you get no respect. I realize I'm a visitor/friend sort of attender but if you won't even put your foot down and defend your beliefs then I can't really take you seriously...and yeah that really bugs me.

I'll add one more thing bugging me...why wouldn't the pastor/elders speak with me to even find if I'm a "nut job" or a serious seeker...then say to my wife perhaps "it would be better if you follow your husband where he goes"...?

nonaeroterraqueous :hug::hug::hug:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did you actually make an appointment to speak personally with a pastor or elder like most normal people do if they want to discuss theology for hours and hours or did you try and interrupt them in a middle of preaching in a service? I'm sorry. But they will ignore you if you try to do that.

In church newsletters they will say if you want to talk to a pastor you can call them, they give their numbers so you can. They will talk to you and happy to answer your questions. How do they know you a seeker if there's heaps of people there every week do you expect them to make personal calls on every single person????

Did they even have your number???
I think maybe you digging your own hole here.

Our beliefs don't have to be 'defended' when there doesn't seem to be any issue with them that needs 'defending'. If you come to a baptist church, we not going to argue things. We just read what's in the bible, the preacher preaches it, and its up to you to further your own study and search the scriptures to see if these things are so. You bring your bible with you in the service and look it up!!!

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you actually make an appointment to speak personally with a pastor or elder like most normal people do if they want to discuss theology for hours and hours or did you try and interrupt them in a middle of preaching in a service? I'm sorry. But they will ignore you if you try to do that.

In church newsletters they will say if you want to talk to a pastor you can call them, they give their numbers so you can. They will talk to you and happy to answer your questions. How do they know you a seeker if there's heaps of people there every week do you expect them to make personal calls on every single person????

Did they even have your number???
I think maybe you digging your own hole here.

Our beliefs don't have to be 'defended' when there doesn't seem to be any issue with them that needs 'defending'. If you come to a baptist church, we not going to argue things. We just read what's in the bible, the preacher preaches it, and its up to you to further your own study and search the scriptures to see if these things are so. You bring your bible with you in the service and look it up!!!

It was only in Sunday School, which in the class I attended was an adult bible study, where the issues come up and were discussed. I had both teachers (both Elders [Deacons] at that) call on me for answers or thoughts when things come up^_^ because I wasn't as "shy" as some .

Give the SBC credit they don't sit around talking in platitudes singing kumbaya...

Having been in 3 different Baptist congregations (Reformed/ABCUSA/SBC) over the past near 20 years I never met a baptist that didn't like a discussion even if it gets a bit "heated" :oldthumbsup:

The Reformed and ABCUSA folks did contact us on several occasions after leaving; this one just didn't contact me..guess enough the rest of the family is still there for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It was only in Sunday School, which in the class I attended was an adult bible study, where the issues come up and were discussed. I had both teachers (both Elders at that) call on me for answers or thoughts when things come up^_^ because I wasn't as "shy" as some .

Give the SBC credit they don't sit around talking in platitudes singing kumbaya...

Having been in 3 different Baptist congregations (Reformed/ABCUSA/SBC) over the past near 20 years I never met a baptist that didn't like a discussion even if it gets a bit "heated" :oldthumbsup:

The Reformed and ABCUSA folks did contact us on several occasions after leaving; this one just didn't contact me..guess enough the rest of the family is still there for now.
I can absolutely relate. I have made the mistake of telling one of the pastors at my last church he spoke scripture out of context. He was short with me and didn't really explain why it wasn't out of context. To be fair, I find most people using Scripture out of context when they personalize it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems some people have it in for SBC.
Well, everyones different. Not sure what the issue is, i always thought southerners in america were known for their hospitality.

This a good and friendly congregation...very generous, evangelistic, and growing. It is north of the Mason-Dixon but I think many are from the South. It's probably a reputation thing with me...they figure as old as I am it's best to let me move on without issue..they have "bigger fish to fry" so to speak ;)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some churches are less evangelistic than others. Depends.
Not that they don't do any spreading of the gospel but...people are more likely to join a church that has the space for them. If one's already established then more discipling will be going on within the church as people grow in their faith, rather than number of people added to the church. Can't always go on numbers...

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't like churches that just look at you like you a wallet or a statistic. I find that unbiblical. I hadn't noticed that so much with the baptists but its very prevalent in other churches.
But I think give them a fair go, it may just be a cultural thing too, like some people in different cultures are more reserved than others.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That didn't answer the question. How many people did you seek out when they stopped coming?
In another words when you see a task needed in a church and God reveal to you then you should consider filling that position which glorify God. Let be honest too many Christian are lazy and only go to church if it doesn't cost them anything.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In another words when you see a task needed in a church and God reveal to you then you should consider filling that position which glorify God. Let be honest too many Christian are lazy and only go to church if it doesn't cost them anything.
It was more like, why complain when people don't do what you've not been willing to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It was more like, why complain when people don't do what you've not been willing to do.
Yet that complaint itself is a revelation that something that is needed in the church. This should make a Christian realized this is a opportunity for them to serve God.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not all are evangelists, i think those that tend to be not free will dont really spread the gospel in the way free will baptist do perhaps.

I mean, having attended a calvinist leaning church, actually a presy, they didnt really teach people to share the gospel at all. It was like pray and they will come. Or put on an event and people will come. Whereas, at the baptist, people would go places to outreach..in the schools, prisons, do missions etc. to people who hadn't heard the gospel before.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
And with discipleship, it was they would give you the tools and people, like small groups and support each other, have prayer chains etc. you could always ring the pastor or go to his office and have a chat.

I noticed presys dont really do that. They didnt even have a library at their church when I started going. They didnt have many small groups or it was only get togethers like youth rallys and potlucks for special events. Their pastor was always unavailable cos he went to so many meetings of the presybtery, that he wasnt reaching out to his own congregations needs.
I dont go there anymore on sundays although i made friends with the people there.

Upvote 0

Pedrito

May 4, 2015
✟8,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have seen in other threads that there are seriously conflicting beliefs on certain subjects within the Baptist Church.

I have even seen (maybe not in this forum – I forget) one end of a belief spectrum accuse the other end of that belief spectrum of heresy.

MrJim seems to have identified a spectrum end or two that cannot bear the close scrutiny of Scripture. Hence the demonstrated unwillingness of two elders to discuss particular matters with someone who projects a reasonable grounding in Biblical knowledge – namely MrJim:
the two elders there (one is a teacher and the other is the back-up teacher) couldn't even begin to have a conversation on a different POV

Naturally, it would need an outsider to be confident enough to raise the matters and want to discuss them openly from the broad base of the Bible, as opposed to a restricted base.

(Church members would would be aware of, and be concerned about, the falling out of favour they would face were they to raise the issues with any conviction themselves.)

If MrJim is as concerned with delving into God's truth as he seems to be, perhaps he could look around for an independent Bible study group – the type where all questions and comments are taken seriously, and the Scriptures searched earnestly for answers and resolutions that are mutually consistent.

Groups like that may be few and hard to find, but finding one just may make the search worthwhile.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, he could always make another topic in the general theology section or ask the baptists here on the things he has issues with.
Eg eternal security and pre millenialism.

I think maybe thats the thing. But I wouldnt consider myself an elder, so..but I can certanly search scripture about it. Also as im female its not likely a man would hear what i had to say. Lol. But if I write it down he could read it. It will only be what scripture says, thought, not my own opinions.

Baptists prolly have different views on what it means anyway, but its not something ive noticed baptists arguing about.

Upvote 0