✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I just love that
" passive aggressive" phrase.. that just sounds so intellectual and sophisticated . but that is like saying calmly irate, and dully brilliant. sounds good but really? so does it sound aggressive to say that they are just plain old aggressive aggressive ? no that just doesn't sound as dully brilliant or naively sophisticated does it !

The term is oxymoron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I've noticed the same antics. It is a rather significant argument for the falsity of atheism.

What bothers them about Christians? I think it is two-fold. First, when someone is confronted with their own sin, they either repent or lash out. These folks are lashing out.

Second, they are particularly poignant example of our culture of desperation in which one needs to competitively assert oneself over and against others in order to convince themselves of their own worth. This is not limited to aggressive atheists, but demeaning something as high and meaningful as Christianity provides one with a strong measure of this negative self-worth, this feeding of the ego. Websites like this eventually become a crutch for them, a painkiller distracting them from a pervasive emptiness. Often addictions form and some form of depression results. This is really quite dangerous. In all honesty, they need our prayers.

The result of such prayers is quite encouraging, but often short-lived. (He still comes back day after day)

Funny thing is, when I read such confident descriptions of 'them' I do wonder about projection. Especially when I have not encountered any of that from atheists on this forum. Plenty of Christians lashing out; atheists not so much. I suspect that any Christian with a deeply fulfilling life full of meaning and joy would not be on this forum at all; they would be out planting churches, evangelising and preaching to the birds. Their time online would be spent writing theological works, and emailing their sister churches all over the world.

In other words, we all come here in search of something; company, fellowship, knowledge. Why not help one another to find it?

Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
OP-I have a couple relatives like that. I don't bring things up, but they do. They know we are very involved in our church and find any opportunity to slide in a comment. We just choose to ignore it. I grew up going to catholic school, but was pretty much raised in an athiest home. I also went to a very law based church-(our school had mass every Friday morning)and never heard the gospel. Or anything about Jesus. I grew up scared of God and as an older teen and early 20s, I wants nothing to do with Him. It wasn't until I became a mother and felt it being pressed in my heart to know more about Jesus. I found that I knew nothing about God. Now, I cannot imagine life without my Jesus in it. Perhaps, some of what are you seeing from athiests attacking Christians...maybe some do them have a similar experience.

How can anyone go to a Catholic school and never hear anything whatever about Jesus? I am afraid that beggars belief.

Hyperbole is one thing, outright false witness quite another. If you went to Mass every Friday morning, then you heard the Gospel every Friday morning; there is always a Gospel reading at Mass. Every Mass.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Something about Jesus must really frighten them. And I guess I'm curious and what to know what it is. The fervent way in which they seek out and actively look for Christians to fight with is something that can only be deeply rooted in an almost emotional, if not spiritual need to disrupt people.
The only thing that frightens me is that it may all just be a hoax.

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The 'Pharisees' of First Century Judea were God fearing, Scripture following, Synagogue attending believers.

They are not atheists, in other words. They are believers.

The whole point of those stories is to challenge us, not 'them'. We are the Pharisees.
OH really of course the bible makes it clear that all people know what sin is and that they violate their conscience . and the religion of anti-thiest ( of which we have mostly priests of it on this site ) whole purpose in thier life seems to me right now to be to make sure we don't think we believe in sin. why do they spend so many hours trying to convince us that they don't sin?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BabylonWeary

American
Jun 11, 2015
✟15,537.00
Faith
Christian
Funny thing is, when I read such confident descriptions of 'them' I do wonder about projection. Especially when I have not encountered any of that from atheists on this forum. Plenty of Christians lashing out; atheists not so much. I suspect that any Christian with a deeply fulfilling life full of meaning and joy would not be on this forum at all; they would be out planting churches, evangelising and preaching to the birds. Their time online would be spent writing theological works, and emailing their sister churches all over the world.

In other words, we all come here in search of something; company, fellowship, knowledge. Why not help one another to find it?

If you pray to God for rain, there is literally the need for rain, but there's also spiritual rain. To be here wanting to discuss the Bible, and to understand that sometimes it's not possible to have some conversations with people close by for how locked into dogma they are, or wanting to learn what other perspectives might be had, so it's worthwhile to use the Internet for that. But then, when it's about what the atheists believe, it's problematic. They have no true beliefs of their own, all they know is to be antithetical to the beliefs of others. Projection, yes, but it's more than that. The atheist are looking to others, even to us, to define for them who and what they are just so they have something to rebel against. It's like praying for rain just for an excuse to use an umbrella.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you pray to God for rain, there is literally the need for rain, but there's also spiritual rain. To be here wanting to discuss the Bible, and to understand that sometimes it's not possible to have some conversations with people close by for how locked into dogma they are, or wanting to learn what other perspectives might be had, so it's worthwhile to use the Internet for that. But then, when it's about what the atheists believe, it's problematic. They have no true beliefs of their own, all they know is to be antithetical to the beliefs of others. Projection, yes, but it's more than that. The atheist are looking to others, even to us, to define for them who and what they are just so they have something to rebel against. It's like praying for rain just for an excuse to use an umbrella.
Here's a suggestion: if you want to know what an atheist believes, as compared to what they don't believe, why not just ask them? I have many beliefs about various things, but many here seem to be concerned more with what I don't believe and with what they think I believe. Unsurprisingly, this has led to me being accused of believing all sorts of things that I don't actually believe.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

That's not true in any way shape or form. The problem is that atheists are not actually a group. With Christians there is some commonality. With Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Mormons, Wiccans and even "spiritual people of no religion" these groups all have certain beliefs that we can point at and say "they believe this". Atheists don't really work that way. So don't think of atheists as a group unto themselves, think of them as people who just do not belong to any of the other groups. That's about as much as we can say.

It's not that individual atheists don't have beliefs or an identity of their own, it's that as a group they don't really share any. Nor do they wish to. They're not meant to be a group. They're basically the same as "spiritual, but not religious" with the added caveat that they do not believe in gods.

Most atheists I've met on here do not wish to have other people's beliefs thrust upon them. So why would they "lash out" at Christians? Well, you've just said "They have no true beliefs of their own, all they know is to be antithetical to the beliefs of others. Projection, yes, but it's more than that. The atheist are looking to others, even to us, to define for them who and what they are just so they have something to rebel against."

You've just thrust beliefs on them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I just love that
" passive aggressive" phrase.. that just sounds so intellectual and sophisticated . but that is like saying calmly irate, and dully brilliant. sounds good but really? so does it sound aggressive to say that they are just plain old aggressive aggressive ? no that just doesn't sound as dully brilliant or naively sophisticated does it !

Passive aggressive means to be hostile to someone, but indirectly.

For instance, this thread is clearly meant to be hostile toward atheists under the guise of discussion about Christ. However, passive aggressive is not quite the right term. It's more like gossip. We're spreading rumours about someone behind their back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I want you to look over this thread, and see if there may be a reason they're aggressive. As I suggested earlier, this thread is just whining about how stupid atheists are, why they're bad, and why we should all hate them. It's rather passive aggressive. At least these atheists are talking to you, not gossipping about you behind your back, right?

No. Not right. The OP stated the situation pretty well. I think the answer may lie in the fact that many atheists, not all, are counter-culture people, and that's why they're atheists.

If Christianity doesn't work for them or seem sensible to them, so also do most of the institutions of our culture. They are not only atheists but inclined towards nihilism, as can be seen in their politics and disgust with freedom of expression, free enterprise, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireHeart

Simply his Child
May 22, 2015
Oklahoma
✟17,101.00
Faith
Christian
I'm a nonbeliever genuinely interested in learning more about Christianity. But I find that, anywhere on the internet I go to speak to Christians, it is always inhabited by an even greater number of arrogant atheists who are in all honesty the most insufferable people I've ever seen: a rabid pack of intolerant atheists who arrogantly seek to embarrass, denigrate, and disparage Christians.

Usually, I just troll them in these places, because you can't really have an honest discussion with them around.

But it has me thinking: why do they commit so much energy to disrupting Christians in online communities?

Why is it so important to them that people believe what they believe? Why are they so determined to deprive a Christian of his or her faith?

I recently made a thread on the Christian Forums on Amazon, and within just a few posts, a pack of about ten atheists showed up and just drove every other Christian off the thread.

This is seriously what they're like.

A bunch of Christians gather together. "Hey, you guys wanna talk about Christianity?"

"Sure!"

(Meanwhile)

"Ugh! My atheist senses are detecting Christians. Quick, my brothers. We must go over there and start acting like we're smarter than they are while harassing them about their faith!"

Something about Jesus must really frighten them. And I guess I'm curious and what to know what it is. The fervent way in which they seek out and actively look for Christians to fight with is something that can only be deeply rooted in an almost emotional, if not spiritual need to disrupt people.
If Jesus Frightened them they wouldn't openly mock and attack Christians. But not all atheists are like that some are actually very kind and friendly, but to many we are a bunch of nut jobs that need to be taken down a step. My best friend is an atheist he mocks my faith all the time but I don't let it bother me, he has had a very hard time with Christians in his life so his disgust with religion is understandable.

He actually has what it takes to be a very strong Christian I mean one I could never hope to be.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
No. Not right. The OP stated the situation pretty well. I think the answer may lie in the fact that many atheists, not all, are counter-culture people, and that's why they're atheists.

Aren't Christians the one who claim that you cannot be worldly and of God? Aren't Christians the one who protest movies, TV shows, and music they find reprehensible?

Do Christians not have their own Christian television networks, Christian book stores, Christian radio stations, Christian music as though they are somehow separated from the rest of society? Almost their own culture?

Is that not all counter-culture as well?

If Christianity doesn't work for them or seem sensible to them, so also do most of the institutions of our culture.

Like which institutions?

They are not only atheists but inclined towards nihilism...

How are they inclined toward nihilism?

as can be seen in their politics and disgust with freedom of expression, free enterprise, etc.

Atheists are against freedom of expression, free enterprise, etc.? You're saying they're fascist communists?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Aren't Christians the one who claim that you cannot be worldly and of God?
That refers to valuing the vanities and luxuries of the world more than God's ways. It does not mean to hate every value in one's culture and everyone who is part of it.

Is that not all counter-culture as well?
No. Not at all, but thanks for allowing me to clarify that for you.

Atheists are against freedom of expression, free enterprise, etc.? You're saying they're fascist communists?

I didn't say that they are "fascist communists" (whatever that might mean, if it were even possible) ^_^ and I'll thank you not to try to put words into my mouth.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
That refers to valuing the vanities and luxuries of the world more than God's ways. It does not mean to hate every value in one's culture and everyone who is part of it.

My apologies. Atheists hate every value in their culture and everyone who is part of it?

No. Not at all, but thanks for allowing me to clarify that for you.

"No." Isn't clarification, it's just contradiction. If creating a culture separate from the mainstream culture isn't counter-culture, what is counter-culture? Isn't it really that atheists reject your little pocket-culture and not the mainstream? Which institutions are you speaking of that atheists reject, or do not find sensible?

I didn't say that they are "fascist communists" (whatever that might mean, if it were even possible) ^_^ and I'll thank you not to try to put words into my mouth.

So, in what way are atheists against free enterprise, and free expression?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My apologies. Atheists hate every value in their culture and everyone who is part of it?

"No." Isn't clarification, it's just contradiction. If creating a culture separate from the mainstream culture isn't counter-culture, what is counter-culture? Isn't it really that atheists reject your little pocket-culture?

So, in what way are atheists against free enterprise, and free expression?

I offered my opinion. You are entitled to yours. We do not really need anyone to show us what the OP was referring to by acting it out for us, though.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I offered my opinion. You are entitled to yours. We do not really need anyone to show us what the OP was referring to by acting it out for us, though.

Yes, thank you for your opinion, and your own demonstration. However, your "opinion" included accusations. Are you prepared to back up these accusations with tangible facts or examples?

Upvote 0

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Passive aggressive means to be hostile to someone, but indirectly.

For instance, this thread is clearly meant to be hostile toward atheists under the guise of discussion about Christ. However, passive aggressive is not quite the right term. It's more like gossip. We're spreading rumours about someone behind their back.
wrong I think he really was talking to christians ! but you just can't let it be . you can't seem to understand that the whole society is preaching your message from teachers to just everyone from tv commercials even cartoons preach it baby.. and all of us already heard it and had our fill of it and most of all we understand it and we rejected it and will continue to do so. you can't say that about JESUS ! they / you'alls don't know Him . you may know what people sort of want you to know about him or his book and willing to talk about around you'alls . but you'alls don't know him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

annafullofgrace

His blood sets me free.
Dec 28, 2014
USA
✟44,039.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How can anyone go to a Catholic school and never hear anything whatever about Jesus? I am afraid that beggars belief.

Hyperbole is one thing, outright false witness quite another. If you went to Mass every Friday morning, then you heard the Gospel every Friday morning; there is always a Gospel reading at Mass. Every Mass.

So now you know my experience, huh? We did not focus on the love of Christ-we focused on you will never be good enough. Irregardless of the gospel reading that was read, the final message we heard and the sermon was law based and condemning. We had a very old priest who was mean and nasty and created fear in those around him. That church shut down just a couple of years after I graduated eight grade there. For kids to hear that awful message every single Friday is NOT doing what Jesus would do. Not everyone wearing a collar is a good example of Christ.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Here is a simple reason; If the teachings of Jesus were/are true, then that means everyone in opposition to those teachings would be subject to judgement. But if enough people can ban together to 'disprove' His teachings/followers, then they become free from judgement.

I am sure they are scared to death like the Pharisee were in Jesus day. He challenged them over and over and Judged them every which way but loose . and they had to make sure he was not God in the eyes of people. 2000 years and still nothing has changed .:p ( mankind still loves to kill their God and kings)

I've noticed the same antics. It is a rather significant argument for the falsity of atheism.

What bothers them about Christians? I think it is two-fold. First, when someone is confronted with their own sin, they either repent or lash out. These folks are lashing out.

Second, they are particularly poignant example of our culture of desperation in which one needs to competitively assert oneself over and against others in order to convince themselves of their own worth. This is not limited to aggressive atheists, but demeaning something as high and meaningful as Christianity provides one with a strong measure of this negative self-worth, this feeding of the ego. Websites like this eventually become a crutch for them, a painkiller distracting them from a pervasive emptiness. Often addictions form and some form of depression results. This is really quite dangerous. In all honesty, they need our prayers.

They have no true beliefs of their own, all they know is to be antithetical to the beliefs of others. Projection, yes, but it's more than that. The atheist are looking to others, even to us, to define for them who and what they are just so they have something to rebel against.

If Christianity doesn't work for them or seem sensible to them, so also do most of the institutions of our culture. They are not only atheists but inclined towards nihilism, as can be seen in their politics and disgust with freedom of expression, free enterprise, etc.

I'm looking at these particular comments, accusations, testimonies, and I see a problem. They are not true. They are not reflected in the reality I see. I speak to the same atheists on these boards as you do, and I read the same comments you do, and I do not see how those posters fit these claims or accusations. I'm confident that any atheist on this board would do see same. This means Christians are lying, making stuff up that is satisfying to them, or don't understand the truth.

But that isn't the real problem. The real problem is that the most powerful evidence Christians have at their disposal to witness to these atheists is their own personal testimony. Any atheist that reads this is quickly going to say: You either lie, make stuff up that satisfies you emotionally, or you are unable to understand the truth. You have just thrown away your credibility, and the credibility of other Christians.

Just think about that. It seems important, doesn't it? Is it not preferable to know the truth about atheists, be able to talk to them, and keep your credibility? Won't that feel better in the long run?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.