1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are anxiety attacks spiritual attacks?

Discussion in 'Anxiety, Panic & Agoraphobia' started by MyAllinAll, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyAllinAll

MyAllinAll New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have often wondered if anxiety attacks are spiritual attacks because God did not leave a spirit of fear in us. My anxiety attacks go away after a few hours and after I persevere in prayer and talking to people. Are there demons connected to anxiety attacks?

2. PureLove

PureLove New Member

Faith:
    Catholic
    The prayer will help you either way and I couldnt say about demons but be careful here. Dont link them in your mind, you don't want to believe that if its not so ya know?

God bless you
    u are tough anyways if u can walk through them, thats so cool
    God bless

3. junezephyr

junezephyr Enjoying the scenery.

Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Well, I think anxiety has several causes, ranging from physical, emotional, and spiritual levels. Spiritual attacks can definitely cause anxiety, but not all anxiety is a spiritual problem (confusing, isnt it, lol).

It's best to get all bases covered. I try to remain close to Christ to keep myself protected spiritually, as well as maintain proper nutrition to take care of my body. Toxic emotions can also build up inside and cause anxiety. Methods of release such as talking to supportive and encouraging people can help with this, for example.

You might want to post this question on the Spiritual Warfare forum where there are more people who understand things of the spiritual realm. Anxiety can be caused/furthered by a spiritual attack, but I don't believe this is always the case.

4. ma2000

ma2000 Veteran

Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    My personal oppinion is that there is a link. However that's hard to know for sure. Praying certainly helps.
    The 1000 worries per minute thing I think it's too strange for it to not be demonic.

5. Kristen.NewCreation

Kristen.NewCreation Here to Help! Staff Member Administrator Supporter Recovery Team Assistant Policy Manager Contact Us Manager

Faith:
    Christian
    I think the devil will use whatever avenue he has at his disposal to get to us. That doesn't mean our anxiety is an attack, but it is possible that he could create situations to make the anxiety worse if he knows that it will push us from God.

Anxiety is best managed by our ability to tell ourselves truth. When you spend time in prayer and talking with people, you are focusing on something that is outside of your feelings, and focused on truth and others. That reduces your anxiety and improves your thinking. Hence a relief. That isn't demonic... that is how anxiety works. This doesn't prove there is or isn't demonic attacks.

6. Amhacajo

Amhacajo Turn worry into wonder...

Faith:
    Christian
    So many Christians I believe are very quick to demonise anxiety attacks. This in itself I have found to be a reason almost in itself for causing my anxiety about going to church.

My own opinion is well kind of in the middle somewhere. I know that the bible does say that we have not been given a spirit of fear but I do love Jesus yet I still do fear. *shrug*.

I know from chatting with my psyche we were able to get to some nitty gritty bits about my past history growing up and past events that may have been the root causes for my problems now. Also a genetic dipostition may be the cause.

This although doesn't explain a very spiritual experience I had through prayer and deliverence from depression some years ago. I was a very different person in many ways after that although my anxiety remains. again *shrug*

All I really know is that I need to keep on having faith and believing that Jesus died for me and that I can be set free from anxiety.

7. MyAllinAll

MyAllinAll New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do believe that fear and anxiety are instruments of the devil and try to make me question God and why God allows this to happen in my life and to be so affected by it. However, I do know that when I'm having an anxiety attack or feel one coming, I go crying to God. It is in the midst of my anxiety that I am most vulnerable and weak and fully dependant on God. I sometimes think that my anxiety attacks do bring me to my knees before God and that in a way, I am getting closer to God.
    I don't think that they are from God, yet even those God can use in someway.
    I pray for deliverence and healing and I know God has a plan with my life and my situation yet it is so easy to be of little faith when attacked.
    I just need to pray more and memorize scripture to stay confident and faithful to God.

junezephyr likes this.
  8. AmeriLovesJesus

AmeriLovesJesus BELIEVING IS SEEING

Faith:
    Christian
    Honestly! my anxiety disorder is a curse and blessing all at the same time. Sometimes its worse then the last time... especially when i give into it as if ive given up. Really though if it were not for God giving me this blessing I would have aloud my life to just drift by me. I feel it has helped me to see things differently in life and given me reason to leane on my spirituality. Knowing that people cannot understand the extreme of my situation leads me to believe in God because he has been the one to get me through it. <3

Because of anxiety I have been patiently facing every fear I have ever had in my life and more to come.

junezephyr likes this.
  9. junezephyr

junezephyr Enjoying the scenery.

Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    :thumbsup: Same here. It's a learning experience, as hard as it is.

10. goldenviolet

goldenviolet Holy is the Lord God Almighty

Faith:
    Christian
    on these matters, please refer to your doctor, therapist or minister for a diagnosis. you may look in other forums for fellowship on this topic, however, ethics, morals, debates, and spiritual warfare are topics not meant for the mental health, physical health and recovery forums. thank you.

this thread will remain permanently closed. please see this thread for the areas guidelines:
    http://foru.ms/t5817450-recovery-guidelines.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.