✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I saw this and it made me sad :(

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_10532925

whyy...

it looks so ...Protestant? It has no Catholic identity whatsoever.
but..more than that...what upsets me is that it looks so..cold..and corporate.. it would make a lovely [anything else] it's interesting architecture, BUT..it's not a church!!
what were they thinking..

I hope this won't turn into a trend??

My church is new and all but inside it's nice and not trying too hard to be 'modern'

But I really love old cathedrals. LOVE them. I wish I lived in Europe. I went to Ottawa this summer and visited Notre Dame there, wow it was amazing. If I lived near a church like that I'd..spend all my time there. LOL.

Not to say that externals are that important..
we know it's all about the Eucharist right??
But...certain things inspire people to worship
and sadly the modern world ..lacks..those things.

Do you agree/disagree?? any thoughts?

Here are some GOOD church buildings :)
http://www.basiliquenddm.org/
http://www.notredameottawa.com/

katholikos

Aug 29, 2008
United States
✟6,027.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been by that thing a million times while it was being built. It was begun before the new Bishop of Oakland came in, Bishop Vigneron, who is a VERY GOOD, solid, orthodox Bishop.

You know what it worse? This church sits right on Lake Merrit, and on the other side of the lake is a big beatiful Church that itself could be a cathedral, but the liberals have destroyed it with liturgical dance and all kinds of whacky abuses. I went to mass there once, and it started out with old ladies swinging their hips and instructing people how to move there arms along in union with this liturgical dance. I was both shocked and disgusted (I had heard about this stuff but never actually seen it) and I shot off a big letter to the new bishop. You have no idea what horrible things liberalism has wrought in many of the San Francisco bay area churches.

See the old church on the right and the foundation for the new one on the left

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Church architecture or ecclesiastical architecture refers to the architecture of buildings of Christian churches. It has evolved over the two thousand years of the Christian religion, partly by innovation and partly by imitating other architectural styles as well as responding to changing beliefs, practices and local traditions. Both theological and practical influences on church architecture have included pagan and secular buildings and those of other faiths. Buildings were at first adapted from those originally intended for other purposes but, with the rise of distinctively ecclesiastical architecture, church buildings came to influence secular ones which have often imitated religious architecture. In the 20th century, the use of new materials, such as concrete, as well as simpler styles has had its effect upon the design of churches and arguably the flow of influence has been reversed.

AlexanderNevskiCathedral.jpg

Sofia's patriarchal cathedral, St. Alexander Nevsky

:angel:

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The image of Christ+ is amazing, but it does seem awfully cold when compared to the blaze of colour and light from a traditional stained glass window.
sister, where did you see the picture of Christ, could you send a link? i can't seem to find it

Upvote 0

Sianelle

Sister Annie
Aug 23, 2008
Hauraki Plains New Zealand.
✟16,277.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Sphinx777
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I saw this and it made me sad :(

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_10532925

whyy...

it looks so ...Protestant?

This part in particular:

Along the concrete walls that serve as a base for the cathedral's wood-and-glass structure are 12 sleek stainless-steel candleholders, marking points of the building's foundation and serving as theological metaphors, representing the 12 apostles . . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

krstlros

Currently Under Construction
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2004
Within the arms of God
✟52,810.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd like to see it in person first before I make any real judgements, and before I say, "What in the world was the Bishop thinking to approve this?" Hopefully, I'll have some time to see it when I'm up there for my nephew's graduation from St. Mary's College.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
wow, i kinda like this pic of Jesus
20080922__eoak0921cathedral~2_Gallery.JPG

I would like to visist this church and see what it looks like, I am not a fan of the modern style, but it can be done in an ok way
just because something is not m cup of tea does not mean it is bad, I am not talking about relitivism, there is good art and bad art, but there is a lot of good stuff that I do not really care for, it would be interesting to see

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Look at St. Jean Vianney in Baton Rouge, LA. A friend of mine sometimes attends there.

ifraa_20070301_vianney.jpg

2329144607_09bac4e466.jpg

Note the cauldron-style baptismal font leading to the pool and the altar in the background. Where is the tabernacle? Took the young man I know several weeks to find it.

2329144629_dd630027fa.jpg

2329144657_0e6d7e1a44.jpg

Has anyone spotted the Crucifix yet? It is in a far corner surrounded in lovely poured concrete.

37vianny.jpg

:sick:

Makes the Cathedral look pretty nice to me. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.