Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm.....well, this certainly explains why most of that hideous post-Vatican II church "architecture" does absolutely nothing to uplift me.

Study: Architecture Affects Your Brain
This is why I hate modern architecture in general (all through society) and would like to see a return to Roman or Gothic influences. Even Art Deco wouldn't be too bad. But most American cities are ugly because of the horrible modern architecture they all use.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is why I hate modern architecture in general (all through society) and would like to see a return to Roman or Gothic influences. Even Art Deco wouldn't be too bad. But most American cities are ugly because of the horrible modern architecture they all use.

Some of this is because of cost. Modern style buildings are built more efficiently, and are safer as a general rule.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Some of this is because of cost. Modern style buildings are built more efficiently, and are safer as a general rule.
not quite.
they are only safer because the laws require them to be so today.
safety does not depend upon the outward style one uses, but in how the structure conforms to the proven specifics of applied stress tests as related to earthquakes.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe we should all practice feng shui:

feng shui
  1. : a Chinese geomantic practice in which a structure or site is chosen or configured so as to harmonize with the spiritual forces that inhabit it; also : orientation, placement, or arrangement according to the precepts of feng shui

Organizational expert Denise Linn has a book called "Feng Shui for the Soul." But sorry to disappoint you--Linn seems to encourage voluntary simplicity and what she calls "space clearing."

When I moved to South Dakota, I read a book by Kathleen Norris, a transplanted east coast poet, called "Dakota: A Spritual Geography." At one juncture she describes how she feels when she sees the little sprouts popping up in the black dirt, and how that fall, going back to her native Vermont and seeing the fall foliage seemed like "an embarrassment of riches."

Simplicity can be beautiful. It is easier to meditate with one candle than an entire shelf filled with them.

Or with Gregorian chant instead of a lively Gospel choir.

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe we should all practice feng shui:
...configured so as to harmonize with the spiritual forces that inhabit it;

DANGER! DANGER! WILL ROBINSON... DANGER!

0001danger.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmmm.....well, this certainly explains why most of that hideous post-Vatican II church "architecture" does absolutely nothing to uplift me.

Study: Architecture Affects Your Brain

I hear ya, and I'm not surprised by this study at all, it makes complete sense. I loathe modern architecture, especially in an ecclesiastic sense. Some of the modern parish churches and cathedrals I've seen make me queasy as best (like the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles). When you forsake proper church architecture you really lose any sense of "sacred space", and it shows in the modern/post-modern age.

I'm with you 100%. I look at anything postwar and it might as well have been prepackaged and shipped from a Wal Mart warehouse as far as I'm concerned. But show me Medieval English or French Gothic, Baroque, or Romanesque architecture and it's practically euphoric.

I like the classics, but also like much of the cleaner lines of the more modern designs. Some of the older stuff, esp the extremely decorative, can come off as stuffy and decadent to me.

I think the one exception I make to my preferences for old architecture is the juxtaposition between modern minimalist architecture and nature. Mainly because they tend to have a ton of floor-to-ceiling windows which are ideal for the setting, but it's interesting to see the contrast between the structure of modern architecture, and the anarchy of nature. To me it almost only works if it's an isolated structure within nature.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some of the modern parish churches and cathedrals I've seen make me queasy at best (like the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles).

LOL! Cardinal Baloney's "Yellow Armadillo". :D

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0