Archeological discovery

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
spacer.gif

Portuguese plumbers discover 600 year old mikvahs. Plumbers fixing a water leak in central Portugal discovered what appears to be a cluster of 600-year-old Jewish ritual baths. The discovery was made earlier this year in the city of Coimbra as the plumbers were replacing the piping of an old building in what used to be the Jewish part of the Old City, according to a report Thursday by the Publico daily.

Jorge Alarcao, an archaeologist who was called upon to study the structures, told the paper: “This could be the only discovery of its kind made in Portugal.”

The structures appear to be mikvahs, or ritual baths, predating the 14th century which were designed for Jewish women, according to Alarcao.

“It could be the most important archaeological discovery made in Coimbra over the past 70 years,” Coimbra Mayor Manuel Machado told the paper.

The Jewish presence in Coimbra dates back to at least 1370, and the mikvahs may have been in operation even before that date, Alarcao said. If additional researchers confirm the find, the mikvahs of Coimbra may be considered among the oldest mikvahs ever discovered in Europe, he said. The mikvahs were enclosed in a room whose ceiling featured an ancient fresco of flowers, Publico reported. The fresco was likely painted in the 16th century, before the Portuguese Inquisition sent hundreds of thousands of Spanish Jewish refugees and local Jews into exile or forced them to convert to Christianity.

Photo source: DR/Publico.pt

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Ancient textile may contain lost Biblical blue dye, Israeli researcher says | Fox News

An Israeli researcher says she has identified a nearly 2,000-year old textile that may contain a mysterious blue dye described in the Bible, one of the few remnants of the ancient color ever found.

Naama Sukenik of Israel's Antiquities Authority said Tuesday that recent examination of a small woolen textile discovered in the 1950s found that the textile was colored with a dye from the Murex trunculus, a snail researchers believe was the source of the Biblical blue.

http://mobile.wnd.com/2014/01/like-israel-biblical-snail-makes-comeback/#jpeXqKd3cS11ZaWc.01

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
New Discoveries on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem | Ritmeyer Archaeological Design

Zachi Dvira of The Temple Mount Sifting Project to new excavation activities on the Temple Mount:

Recently, the ground level near the new generator room north of the raised platform was lowered by one foot. This work exposed an unknown course of stones from an earlier phase of this wall. This course could be dated to the Early Umayyad period or even the Herodian Period. L. Ritmeyer suggested that the foundation of this course was the original northern wall of the Temple Mount, and there is evidence for this thesis in various spots along this line.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
It is probably one of the greatest finds of all time and, by the bizarre rules of biblical archeology, it’s also one of the least reported. Basically, in 1967, in Deir Alla, Jordan,
Dutch archeologists discovered some kind of pagan house of worship or seminary. On its walls, there was a 2,800-year-old inscription in black ink. Key phrases are highlighted in red ink and the whole writing is framed in red. First of all, this is the oldest Aramaic inscription every found. But if that’s not enough to make it a world-headline, the inscription is 600-800 years older than the Dead-Sea Scrolls. And if that’s not enough to merit international attention, the inscription mentions a prophet, or “seer”, named “Balaam son of Beor”. This is the exact name mentioned in the Torah/Bible (Numbers 22:2–24:25). Prophets, Sex & Archeology | Simcha Jacobovici TV

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Decoding the El Arish Stone – blog entry 1 | Simcha Jacobovici TV

It’s known as the “El Arish Stone”. It is a piece of black granite weighing two tons, measuring 4 feet in length, and 2.5 feet in width. It was found in 1887 on a farm at El Arish, lying on its side. At the time, it was being used as a water trough for cattle. When archaeologist Frances Llewellyn Griffith found the slab of granite, his clue to its value was the hieroglyphics. By the writing, he dated the object to the Ptolemaic period, specifically the 30th Dynasty (380-360 BCE), when it was probably used as a shrine. But the inscriptions seem to refer to events some 1200 years earlier (c. 1500 BCE) and appear to tell the story of the Exodus, with a twist: this story is told from Pharaoh’s, not Moses’, perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
In one manuscript, known as the Ipuwer papyrus, there is an eerie description of chaos in Egypt: “Plague is throughout the land,” Dayan’s translation reads, “blood is everywhere — the river is blood ... and the hail smote every herd of the field ... the land is without light and there is a thick darkness throughout the land ... the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt — from the firstborn of Pharoah that sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the prison. ...” Passover proof lies in Egyptian hieroglyphs | Passover | Jewish Journal

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
In one manuscript, known as the Ipuwer papyrus, there is an eerie description of chaos in Egypt: “Plague is throughout the land,” Dayan’s translation reads, “blood is everywhere — the river is blood ... and the hail smote every herd of the field ... the land is without light and there is a thick darkness throughout the land ... the Lord smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt — from the firstborn of Pharoah that sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the prison. ...” Passover proof lies in Egyptian hieroglyphs | Passover | Jewish Journal

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
A second century Roman author named Celsus attacked early Christians by denying Jesus; divinity and the virgin birth, as well as downplaying the apostles. But Celsus also had an interesting alternative explanation for Jesus; miracles.

It is clear to me that the writings of the Christians are a lie and that your fables are not well enough constructed to conceal this monstrous fiction;. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain [magical] powers; He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god; It was by means of sorcery that He was able to accomplish the wonders which He performed; Let us believe that these cures, or the resurrection, or the feeding of a multitude with a few loaves; These are nothing more than the tricks of jugglers; It is by the names of certain demons, and by the use of incantations, that the Christians appear to be possessed of power;

http://www.inquisitr.com/1523891/je...y-roman-historian-marcus-velleius-paterculus/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
BEIT SHEMESH, Israel — The carved stone block is about the size of an occasional table. It has held its secrets for two millenniums. Whoever engraved its enigmatic symbols was apparently depicting the ancient Jewish temples.

But what makes the stone such a rare find in biblical archaeology, according to scholars, is that when it was carved, the Second Temple still stood in Jerusalem for the carver to see. The stone is a kind of ancient snapshot. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/world/middleeast/magdala-stone-israel-judaism.html?_r=4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A second century Roman author named Celsus attacked early Christians by denying Jesus; divinity and the virgin birth, as well as downplaying the apostles. But Celsus also had an interesting alternative explanation for Jesus; miracles.

It is clear to me that the writings of the Christians are a lie and that your fables are not well enough constructed to conceal this monstrous fiction;. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain [magical] powers; He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god; It was by means of sorcery that He was able to accomplish the wonders which He performed; Let us believe that these cures, or the resurrection, or the feeding of a multitude with a few loaves; These are nothing more than the tricks of jugglers; It is by the names of certain demons, and by the use of incantations, that the Christians appear to be possessed of power;

http://www.inquisitr.com/1523891/je...y-roman-historian-marcus-velleius-paterculus/
Ah. A perfect example of the unforgivable sin: attributing the works of the Ruach to hasatan.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BEIT SHEMESH, Israel — The carved stone block is about the size of an occasional table. It has held its secrets for two millenniums. Whoever engraved its enigmatic symbols was apparently depicting the ancient Jewish temples.

But what makes the stone such a rare find in biblical archaeology, according to scholars, is that when it was carved, the Second Temple still stood in Jerusalem for the carver to see. The stone is a kind of ancient snapshot. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/world/middleeast/magdala-stone-israel-judaism.html?_r=4
NICE!!!!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is the same thing that the rabbis accused Yeshua of
both in the New Testament and in the talmud.
On which occasion, HE warned them about that sin.

Upvote 0