Archeological discovery

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
I know this is not a "latest find" but to me it is a great find..
521904_10151540276135248_380940300_n.jpg

The book of Ezra begins with the EDICT of Koresh (called Cyrus) to build the House of Yahuah. At Babylon, this "Cyrus Cylinder" was found in 1879, and is on display at the British Museum at London when it is not on tour. It is a nine-inch clay, corn-shaped cuneiform cylinder, and is the "writing" described in Ezra of this EDICT.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Excavations in Jerusalem in 1979–80 by Gabriel Barkay turned up two amulets dating from the late seventh century BC.1 They were found in the fourth of several burial caves he discovered on an escarpment known as Ketef Hinnom, which overlooks the Hinnom Valley (Gehenna) just opposite Mt. Zion. Each amulet contained a rolled-up sheet of silver which, when unrolled, revealed the Priestly Benediction inscribed on them. The exact Hebrew words (translated into English) are:

May Yahweh bless you and keep you;
May Yahweh cause his face to
Shine upon you and grant you
Peace (Coogan 1995: 45).

1010880_621382027892974_1905017513_n.jpg

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/world/middleeast/06stone.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print&
A three-foot-tall tablet with 87 lines of Hebrew that scholars believe dates from the decades just before the birth of Jesus is causing a quiet stir in biblical and archaeological circles, especially because it may speak of a messiah who will rise from the dead after three days. If such a messianic description really is there, it will contribute to a developing re-evaluation of both popular and scholarly views of Yeshua, since it suggests that the story of his death and resurrection was not unique but part of a recognized Jewish tradition at the time.
deadseastone.jpg
Based on the stance and form of the letters, the distinguished decipherers of the inscription (Ada Yardeni and Binyamin Elizur) date it to the late first century B.C.E. or early first century C.E. Dr. Ada Yardeni is one of the world’s leading authorities on ancient Semitic languages, paleography, and epigraphy—she has published over a dozen books on these subjects. Dr. Yardeni was the first scholar to study and translate the text now known as “Gabriel’s Revelation.” Her research and translation were published as an article titled “A New Dead Sea Scroll in Stone?” http://www.bib-arch.org/archive.asp?PubID=BSBA&Volume=34&Issue=1&ArticleID=16&extraID=14

The tablet, probably found near the Dead Sea in Jordan according to some scholars who have studied it, is a rare example of a stone with ink writings from that era — in essence, a Dead Sea Scroll on stone. The tablet has been named by scholars as “Gabriel’s Revelation” because it suggests that the angel Gabriel was instructed by God to direct that the Messiah be raised from the dead on the third day.

The stone tablet was discovered and is owned by a Israeli-Swiss Jewish man by the name of David Jeselsohn who didn’t understand its significance when he purchased it.

Dr. Knohl published a book about all this in 2009 entitled, Messiahs and Resurrection in “The Gabriel Revelation.” and "The Messiah Before Jesus: The Suffering Servant of the Dead Sea Scrolls" (first published in Hebrew in 2000 and then in English in 2002).A respected Israeli scholar and professor at Hebrew University is making an intriguing and compelling case that it is a distinctly Jewish notion to expect the Messiah to come, die as a “suffering servant” as an atonement for sins and the redemption of Israel, and then to rise from the dead on the third day. In the book, Dr. Knohl explains the various Jewish theories about the Messiah, including the idea of a “Messiah son of David” who will be a reigning king on the earth like King David was, and a “Messiah son of Joseph” who will be rejected by his brothers, mistreated, left for dead but will eventually reappear and save not only the nation of Israel but the world like Joseph did in the book of Genesis.

One of the biggest arguments given for a Jew not to believe in Yeshua is that there is no evidence that the Jewish people, prophets, rabbis ever taught a suffering servant. Well, this is evidence to the contrary. In response to the Pharisees as recorded in
Luke 19:40, Yeshua recited the prophecy of Habakkuk who wrote: "For out of [the] wall a stone itself will cry out..." by saying, "I tell you, if these remained silent, the STONES would cry out."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not as impressive as the DDS though, I wonder if it was from a type of mezzuzah? It seems to contain the pertinent words, the ten sayings and the Shema. I can't make it out well and would be curious to know if it was the Exodus wording or the Deuteronomy wording of the ten sayings.

Duh! :doh: I read through it too quickly, it says

The manuscript was originally identified as a lectionary used in liturgical contexts, due to the juxtaposition of the Decalogue (probably reflecting a mixed tradition, a composite of Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5) with the Šemaʿ prayer (Deuteronomy 6:4-5), and it has been suggested that it is, in fact, from a phylactery (tefillin, used in daily prayer).

I notice now after looking at it again that the folds are obviously squared which would be accommodated in teffilin.

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
This inscription on what is probably part of the parapet of the outer wall is translated as "For [or to] the place of trumpeting to...." The last word may have been "to announce" (lhkryz). It was discovered during B. Mazar's excavations at the base of the Herodian wall at the southwest corner of the Temple Mount. It probably served to indicate where a priest would stand to blow the trumpet to begin and end the Sabbath. Josephus explains the procedure: "And the last [tower] was erected above the roof of the Priest's Chambers, where it was the custom for one of the priests to stand and to give notice, by the sound of a trumpet, in the afternoon of the approach, and on the following evening of the close, of every seventh day, announcing to the people the respective hours for ceasing work and for resuming their labors" (War 4.582-83). This inscribed stone was found at the southwest corner of the Temple.

Trumpeting12.jpg
Trumpeting22.jpg

Upvote 0

visionary

Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
BiblePlaces Blog: Judean Temple Discovered Near Jerusalem

A Judean temple from the 10th-9th centuries BC has been discovered four miles northwest of ancient Jerusalem. The structure has massive walls, faces east, and contained a cache of sacred vessels. The site of Tel Motza may be the town of Mozah mentioned in the city list of Joshua 18:26 and some believe the Emmaus mentioned in Luke 24 was located nearby.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0