Archbishop Sorondo--a Breath of Fresh Air, a Glass of Clean Water, a Ray of Solar Energy...

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The climate crisis leads to poverty and poverty leads to new forms of slavery and forced migration, and drugs, and all this can also lead to abortion.

The Tea Party and all those whose income derives from oil have criticized us, but not my superiors, who instead authorized me, and several of them participated.

We are happy that Ban Ki-moon and Jeffrey Sachs have accepted the theory on climate that the Academy has maintained for thirty years, namely, that human activity based on fossil fuels determines climate. The members of the Academy have defined this “anthropic climate” or “anthropocene,” chief among them being Nobel Prize winners Paul Crutzen and Mario Molina. You should also be happy, because the consequences of climate change fall especially on the poor, and this also puts them in situations where they then accept abortion.

At long last, an archbishop who is not afraid to put 1 + 1 together for the world to see. Yes, the effects of social injustice and corporate exploitation of human and natural resources create conditions which make poor people feel abortion is their only choice.

You rock, Archbishop Sorondo.

https://c-fam.org/turtle_bay/vatican-prelate-blasts-critics-of-climate-conference/

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And in your view, a woman's (or couple's) life circumstances have absolutely nothing to do with it?
Where in my post did I say "absolutely"? Of course circumstances can play a role. But because the culture of death says that abortion is something good a lot of people get abortions just based on that a baby would be an inconvenience to them. Other reasons people get abortions include sex selection and because the doctor tells the couple that the baby will be born with some kind of imperfection. With sex selection abortions, the girl babies are nearly always the ones aborted which reduces the female population.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Archbishop Sorondo recognized something I've recognized for a long time--that the only way you can get many pro-lifers to get concerned about life-threatening, global-threatening issues is by relating them to abortion.

Talk about climate change, or poverty, they shrug their shoulders--or, as sometimes happens in this forum--deny it outright. Connect it to abortion and there's a remote possibility they may pay attention.

His statement:

The climate crisis leads to poverty and poverty leads to new forms of slavery and forced migration, and drugs, and all this can also lead to abortion.

I think it's really sad that the only way you can get some pro-lifers to become concerned about slavery, forced migration, drugs, and climate change is to connect it to increased incidence of abortion (and even sadder that it's rarely successful).

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it's really sad that the only way you can get some pro-lifers to become concerned about slavery, forced migration, drugs, and climate change is to connect it to increased incidence of abortion (and even sadder that it's rarely successful).
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I believe that the climate changes. It changes every day and from season to season. And no Pro-Life organization has ever endorsed slavery. So that's a bizarre accusation. As far as immigration, I'm Pro-Life and for the fair treatment of immigrants. I even married one. Why don't you have a problem with Obama's lack of care for immigrants? Obama had six years to help immigrants, but he did nothing to help them for all that time. In fact, he deported more than any other previous administration. But in all the years you've been on here I've never seen you complain about Obama. Why didn't Obama do anything for immigrants when Democrats had a super majority and he had zero opposition? During that time, the Democrats got everything they wanted regardless of how much the Republicans protested. So it's pretty obvious that immigration was low on the DNC's list of priorities when they were in a position to do something about it.

"...we find ourselves dealing with an Administration that says it stands with migrant families yet has deported more immigrants than any administration in U.S. history."

- Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr (March 27, 2014)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Er...we weren't speaking of abortion, except in reference to the effect of climate change, forced migration, drugs, and slavery on its incidence.
The thread isn't about abortion?

Must be about muslims then.

Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I believe that the climate changes. It changes every day. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.
That's not climate, that's weather.

(For bonus points, try explaining the diffence to someone with virtually no english using mime- it's incredibly difficult)

Reactions: frenchdefense
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟933,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So the climate changes a little - I need an abortion.
I'm poor - I need an abortion.
I'm forced to move - I need an abortion.
I abuse drugs so - I need an abortion.
Got it. Amy more excuses you'd like to throw in here?
It's hot.
My apartment is too small.
My toilet leaks.
Walmart is closed.
The price of eggs went up.
My lawn needs mowing.
How about you keep your legs together unless you're married and open to the idea of having kids?
Too stern? To strict? Tough.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How about you keep your legs together unless you're married and open to the idea of having kids?

How about respecting people's rights to make their own choices about their sexuality and their bodies and canning the ad hominen misogynistic attacks? Too stern? Too strict? Tough.

Reactions: Hoshiyya
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟933,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How about respecting people's rights to make their own choices about their sexuality and their bodies and canning the ad hominen misogynistic attacks? Too stern? Too strict? Tough.
That would be cute if it made any sense. Moral relativism at its best.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is Archbishop Sorondo who observed that disruptive climate change has an effect on sex trafficking, widespread poverty, and abortion.

I would hope that even if abortion were not listed as a potential result your callous disregard for victims of sexual trafficking and third world poverty would be an atypical response.

Victims of sexual trafficking, subjected to gang rape and slavery, are not considering abortion for "convenience" or trivial reasons.

Sexual trafficking is far from trivial--and neither is the horrific disregard for human suffering exhibited in your post.

That would be cute if it made any sense. Moral relativism at its best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟933,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is Archbishop Sorondo who observed that disruptive climate change has an effect on sex trafficking, widespread poverty, and abortion.

I would hope that even if abortion were not listed as a potential result your callous disregard for victims of sexual trafficking and third world poverty would be an atypical response.

Victims of sexual trafficking, subjected to gang rape and slavery, are not considering abortion for "convenience" or trivial reasons.

Sexual trafficking is far from trivial--and neither is the horrific disregard for human suffering exhibited in your post.
So your assertion is that God plays no role in human reproduction. God is completely out of the equation when women become pregnant. The idea is that those who suffer sexual trafficking cannot possibly be blessed with a child. Nope, any pregnancy that comes about due to less that perfect circumstances must be aborted. Because in some cases abortion is good. Got it.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So your assertion is that God plays no role in human reproduction. God is completely out of the equation when women become pregnant. The idea is that those who suffer sexual trafficking cannot possibly be blessed with a child. Nope, any pregnancy that comes about due to less that perfect circumstances must be aborted. Because in some cases abortion is good. Got it.

God plays no part in man made climate change caused by man's poor stewardship of the earth and its resources. God mourns when tsunamis, hurricanes, floods and other natural disasters play havoc with people's lives---especially the lives of the poor, whose homes are poorly constructed and vulnerable to collapse.

God mourns the wars over scarce natural resources--oil--in the Sudan. God mourns for the families whose homes are burned and whose children are raped. God knows that it is the avarice and greed of westerners that makes oil a commodity that the Sudanese will commit arson and rape to obtain.

God mourns when crops wither in droughts and starving people become desperate.

Droughts, oil wars, tsunamis, hurricanes, and floods are increasing because we are raping the earth.

The archbishop recognizes this and, as usual, there are conservatives who shrug and say, "Not my fault, and BTW, if children sold into sexual slavery have abortions I'm not to blame because they want an abortion of 'convenience.'"

You know who wants convenience? Westerners. Some of us are worse than others. When I had three children at home, I drove a minivan, but now that they're grown my husband just bought a Sonic hatchback that gets over 40 mpg. It is such a cute little car with plenty of storage space for both of us, and 8 airbags for safety. Acting responsibly in small ways doesn't require a lot of sacrifice.

We have to see that our overconsumption has something to do with the oil wars in the Sudan, with arson and rape and sexual trafficking and young, gang-raped girls who you claim want abortions of 'convenience.' You set the chain of events that led them there into motion.

Upvote 0

frenchdefense

Feb 25, 2009
✟18,286.00
Faith
Catholic
So the climate changes a little - I need an abortion.
I'm poor - I need an abortion.
I'm forced to move - I need an abortion.
I abuse drugs so - I need an abortion.
Got it. Amy more excuses you'd like to throw in here?
It's hot.
My apartment is too small.
My toilet leaks.
Walmart is closed.
The price of eggs went up.
My lawn needs mowing.

Yes, this is EXACTLY the thinking of the poor the disenfranchised, the addicted and the Walmart shopper. Thank you for stating it so perfectly and succulent.

Can the rest of us go back to our original discussion now ?

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟933,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, this is EXACTLY the thinking of the poor the disenfranchised, the addicted and the Walmart shopper. Thank you for stating it so perfectly and succulent.

Can the rest of us go back to our original discussion now ?
Hey I'm not the one that headed in this direction in the first place.

Upvote 0