Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
When you find a dead person with a bullet to his head, you conclude that someone must has fired a shot at him. The lack of witnesses does not negate the fact that someone must have done this.
Not if he was shot accidentally, for example by someone shooting at someone else.

In the case of the blood clotting mechanism, my argument is that someone must be responsible for designing such a efficient mechanism. The suggestion that no one is responsible for this does not make very much sense.
Argument from Ignorance

Without the blood clotting mechanism the person with a wound is likely to die. Are you suggesting that at some point in the evolutionary process, people had no way of surviving a wound?
:doh:By the time humans came on the scene, the blood-clotting mechanism had been around for hundreds of millions of years. Its development started some 600-million years ago in small pre-vertebrates with low-volume low-pressure circulatory systems. It developed from white blood cells and cyclic adenosine monophosphate.

The Evolution of Vertebrate Blood Clotting

Nature is blind. Arguing that this happened by a happy coincidence makes no sense to me.
Good. No one claims it happened by happy coincidence.

Of course, you are free to continue believing this mythical explanation.
Read the link above. No myth about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The fact that it can function as something else is irrelevant to Behe's argument. When you remove an essential component of the flagellum it ceases to function as a flagellum and becomes a different object relative to its original function.
If it can function as something else then it is not irreducibly complex.

The doghouse is not an automobile. The original design has been altered which means that Behe's argument is still valid.
No, it isn't. Did you read the link I gave about exaptation?

Upvote 0

Nic Samojluk

Apr 27, 2013
California
Visit site
✟11,911.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or maybe your knowledge of Einsteins beliefs are lacking.

What part of the "I am not the author of the video" you are having trouble with? If you watch the video, you will discover that it presents what I said it presents.

Upvote 0

Nic Samojluk

Apr 27, 2013
California
Visit site
✟11,911.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Back in the day, I read a lot of material on Guillermo Gonzalez and the decision to not give him tenure. They were completely justified in not giving him tenure. He had nearly zero grants.

Evidently come people disagree with you. How do you explain the fact that a campaign was orchestrated to discredit the intelligent design Gonzales was supporting? Was this a mere coincidence?

Guillermo Gonzalez & Intelligent Design

“The Discovery Institute writes that the email records "demonstrate that a campaign was organized and conducted against Gonzalez by his colleagues, with the intent to deny him tenure".[31] In a letter to the Iowa State Daily, Physics and Astronomy Professor Joerg Schmalian stated that the e-mail "discussion was prompted by our unease with the national debate on intelligent design", not the issue of tenure. …”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Gonzalez_(astronomer)

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Suppose you find in a desert or a cavern a rock shaped in the form of a perfectly polished cube. Would you conclude that said object was shaped by nature or that that it is the product of an intelligent agent?
1. You can conclude that it was made by an intelligent agent only if you already know that polished cubes are only created by intelligent agents.

2. A watch and the universe are not comparable objects. A better analogy would be a universe and a carrot.

3. Even if the analogy is a relevant one, that does not mean the designer is the Christian God.

Or suppose that the scientists involved in the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence locate a signal from space transmitting the value of one of Einstein's formula. Would it be wrong to assume that this would be an evidence of the existence of extra terrestrial intelligence?
No, because we already know what Einstein's formula is. But what if the signal was transmitting a code for something we had no knowledge of? We would most likely not even recognize it as a code at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I did provide a way to test the belief that finding evidence of intelligence in space is scientific. Otherwise, those behind the Search of Extra Terrestrial Intelligence experiment are a bunch of morons.
They are looking for patterns we recognize. If a signal came through that we could not recognize, how would we now that it is a pattern and not just random noise?

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
It is falsifiable. Read the postings I uploaded this morning. [# 2102 & 2104]
And I have already replied to one of those posts demonstrating why you are incorrect. The same explanation hold for the second one as well.

Upvote 0

Nic Samojluk

Apr 27, 2013
California
Visit site
✟11,911.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When we discussed 14C dating, I showed you that ice layers, lake varves, tree rings, and speleothems all agreed with each other.

The problem I see is that the older the object the less carbon it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I did, and what I found lead me to believe that exaptation is no more than science fiction devoid of any scientific value.

"If exaptations are pervasive in evolution ... it becomes difficult to distinguish adaptation from exaptation, and it could change the way evolutionary biologists think about selective advantage as the primary driver of natural selection."

Ref.: http://www.evolutionnews.org/2013/08/exaptation_aka075351.html
The very first line of that article

Birds fly because parts (like feathers) popped into existence for no reason, but later were found useful (for flight).

is a lie. Why should I take anything else it says seriously?

Here's another one

Their short answer is, Yes -- exaptation outcompetes natural selection as evolution's mechanism of choice.

Not only does the statement that line refers to not say any such thing, but exaptation is one mechanism that natural selection acts upon, just like genetic drift and mutations. Exaptation does not "compete" with natural selection at all.

Yet another false claim

But does their limited experimentation justify the claim that all of life generates complex adaptations by exaptations?

Is there any scientist in a relevant field that makes the claim that "all of life generates complex adaptations by exaptations"?

This reminds me of what happened in 1999 when the National Geographis magazine published an article entitled "“Feathers for T. Rex?” and had to retract itself because it depicted a fraudulent concoction of an alleged link between dinosaurs and birds.

Ref.: http://www.trueorigin.org/ng_ap01.php
Doesn't change the fact that there are verifiable incidences of organisms with features of both birds and dinosaurs.

Archaeopteryx

Upvote 0

Nic Samojluk

Apr 27, 2013
California
Visit site
✟11,911.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When we discussed 14C dating, I showed you that ice layers, lake varves, tree rings, and speleothems all agreed with each other.

The problem is that the older the sample the less carbon 14 it contains. This is why some scientists suggest that the maximum age carbon 14 is useful for is around 40,000 years.

In addition, we have the problem of contamination which may result in the assignment of an older date than the actual one. Beyond that, we cannot use carbon 14 dating to calibrate other methods of dating.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Do you think that you will gain this debate with insults instead of valid arguments? You tend to demean yourself instead of building up a reputation worth of admiration and respect.
You think that comments such as

"worship at the altar of peer-review deities"

aren't just as insulting?

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
There is no such thing as beneficial mutations. They do not add new coded information.
Define "coded information".

Nevertheless, such decrease of information can be beneficial in a new environments.

Link:
"Beneficial mutations do not exist however beneficial outcomes of mutations in specific environments do exist."

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when she said this.

"Beneficial outcome of a mutation in a specific environment" is practically the the definition of a beneficial mutation.

"It really depends on the context whether or not a mutation is a good or a bad thing.[sic]"

Well thank you for that insight.:doh: Every biologist in the world will tell you the exact same thing. And even educated laymen like me know without having to be told that a mutation that leads to more fur (an increase in information, btw) will be beneficial in the Arctic where an animal might be subject to freezing but would be disastrous in the tropics where the same animal might quickly overheat and die.

She claims (at 0:57) that bacteria with resistance to antibiotics are not as fit in an environment that does not have antibiotics. I so wanted to raise my hand and ask "why" because that doesn't follow at all. Why would the absence of an antibiotic be a detriment to bacteria with resistance to said antibiotic? Those bacteria with the resistance would just be on a level playing field with bacteria without the resistance.

I've already pointed out to you that adding a second set of wings to a fruit fly is an example of new information so we'll move past the false claim that no new information is ever added.

"[Lenksi's E.coli] have adapted to life in the lab"

"they have lost the ability to degrade certain sugars"

These and several other claims are just plain irrelevant to the fact that Lenski's E.Coli gained the ability to use a new food source. The fact that they may have lost other abilities does not prevent the addition of new ones. Blind cave fish lost the use of their eyes but gained better olfactory sense via more taste buds.

"you didn't gain any functional system"

The ability to digest citrate as a food source was a new functional system in Lenski's E.coli experiment.

"This info is available on the Answers in Genesis website"

Ah yes, Answers in Genesis. The group that has as part of their statement of faith this:

By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information.

They make this statement despite the fact that all their evidence is also subject to interpretation and that they are fallible men who do not possess all information.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The fruit fly with four wings was not the result of natural selection but rather laboratory experiment--the outcome of intelligent design.
Irrelevant. You said that no new information is ever gained. Four wings instead of two is new information. Do you honestly think that nature can't produce a four-winged fruit fly? And no, I'm not saying that a four-winged fruit fly would be better fit, just that it can happen.

Not to mention the context of this comment is about mutations not natural selection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Then try listening to evolutionist Richard Dawkins:

Watch this one as well:

OK, I watched both videos. I was already quite familiar with the dishonest tactics of the interviewing team leading up to the first clip and how they tried to portray Dawkins as unable to answer the question.

Will you read the response Dawkins posted or are you too afraid to read something that might contradict your beliefs about new information?

The Information Challenge

Sorry it isn't in a two minute sound bite but that shouldn't matter if you're really interested in learning the answer to your question, right?

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
It all depends on who you listen to. If he was denied tenure for other reasons, how do you explain the organized campain against intelligent design:

Guillermo Gonzalez & Intelligent Design

“The Discovery Institute writes that the email records "demonstrate that a campaign was organized and conducted against Gonzalez by his colleagues, with the intent to deny him tenure".[31] In a letter to the Iowa State Daily, Physics and Astronomy Professor Joerg Schmalian stated that the e-mail "discussion was prompted by our unease with the national debate on intelligent design", not the issue of tenure.[ …”

Ref.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Gonzalez_%28astronomer%29
From the same article:

Another critic has analysed the list of Gonzalez's publications supplied by the Discovery Institute, and found that "he peaked in 1999, and the decline [in his publications] began even while he was still at the University of Washington" and that "[e]ven more pronounced than the drop in publications is the complete bottom-out in first authorships that is almost sustained throughout his entire probationary period leading up to tenure."[34]

Another critic commented:“ How can Gonzalez complain if his work on ID was considered? If intelligent design is scientific, his department is entitled judge his work in that field. If ID is not science, it’s fair to question why their faculty member is spending so much of his time and resources on it. The claims of persecution issuing from the Discovery Institute and Dr. Gonzalez require that intelligent design be both science and religion. This isn’t about science, it’s about politics.

Also

One of Gonzalez's colleagues, physics professor Joerg Schmalian wrote "To deny tenure to a colleague is a very painful experience. It literally causes sleepless nights to those who are forced to make a responsible decision. Faculty candidates who are being hired in our department always come with promising backgrounds and terrific accomplishments. The decision to recommend or deny tenure is then predominantly based on research performance while at Iowa State. As far as I can judge, this was no different in Gonzalez's case. What I know with certainty is that Gonzalez's views on intelligent design, with which I utterly disagree, had no bearing whatsoever on my vote on his tenure case."

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The problem is that the older the sample the less carbon 14 it contains. This is why some scientists suggest that the maximum age carbon 14 is useful for is around 40,000 years.
Yes, and since C14 decays at a known rate, and we know how to determine if there has been contamination, we can use C14 to date an object out to 40,000 years or so.

In addition, we have the problem of contamination which may result in the assignment of an older date than the actual one. Beyond that, we cannot use carbon 14 dating to calibrate other methods of dating.
What other methods of dating are calibrated using C14?

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Genesis 2:2-3
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

At no point does the Bible say that God is still creating.

Sure it does. Without the agreement of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, NO sinner can be born again Spiritually in Christ. Gen 1:26 and John 14:16 The Holy Spirit is God and He's still working and Jesus has gone to prepare a place for us, so He's still working. Since The Trinity is STILL creating sinners Spiritually, TODAY, we live at Gen 1:27. Gen 1:28 is Prophecy of events which will NOT take place until Jesus returns to rule and reign on Planet Earth for thousand years, before the present 6th Creative Day/Age ends. Amen?

Upvote 0