Anything I need to do before I get a divorce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twosid

Jun 30, 2003
Woodstock, Georgia
Visit site
✟2,396.00
Faith
Christian
Most of you don't know this but my wife and I separated almost 2 years ago. We have a court date of April 9th which I'm guessing will be when the divorce is final. I don't know that for sure because we did all the paperwork ourselves without attorneys. Anyway, I know that if I become Catholic, then I'm going to have to go through all the paperwork involved with being divorced. I'm just wondering if there is something that I should or shouldn't do to make things easier down the road. I was already going to have to do it because she's been married twice before me, I just don't know if this will make it worse or better for me? Any thoughts? I plan on speaking with a Deacon where I attend Mass about it and who does all the paperwork, I just wanted to ask here first.

YourBrotherInChrist

Jan 20, 2006
East of the Mississippi
✟875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your soon-to-be ex-wife's prior marriages should make it easier for you to obtain a declaration of matrimonial nullity (commonly called an "annulment"), which is needed for you to be able to marry in the Catholic Church in the future. You will need to obtain documentation regarding those prior marriages, as well as information about the other parties (e.g., were they married before, were they baptized, are they still alive, and so on). It might be easier for you to get this documentation now, while you are still working with your wife on all the divorce paperwork. Sorry to hear about your separation and your upcoming divorce.

Upvote 0

mikki

Jul 20, 2006
Nevada
✟15,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I understand it, if you were not married in the Catholic Church, the Catholic Church does not recognize that marriage. OK...my husband was married by a justice of the peace and divorced. Both of us are Catholic and he did not require an annulment in order for us to marry in the Church. He did have to show his divorce paperwork from court, but that was it. Nothing about his former wife was required. I hope this helps and is what you were asking! God Bless and may you find happiness in the future!

Upvote 0

King of the Nations

Apr 22, 2005
✟5,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
As I understand it, if you were not married in the Catholic Church, the Catholic Church does not recognize that marriage.

No, it doesn't work that way. ;) There are plenty of marriages the Church recognizes as valid that are not between Catholics.

OK...my husband was married by a justice of the peace and divorced. Both of us are Catholic and he did not require an annulment in order for us to marry in the Church. He did have to show his divorce paperwork from court, but that was it. Nothing about his former wife was required.

Your husband was Catholic at the time. Twosid is not yet. So, the two are playing by a different set of rules. Catholics (whether marrying another Catholic or not) are bound by canon law to be married "in the Church" (which typically means that a priest or deacon is presiding, not necessarily that it is done inside a Catholic church building), though, if they are not - as I understand it - this does not ipso facto guarantee that they are not validly married. It just makes it "likely".

Peace,

Greg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.