• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anyone with Arthritis/Spondylitis?

Murmur

Thought Criminal
Sep 20, 2004
Albany, OR
✟16,922.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I happen to be one of the lucky few who have debilitating arthritis (spondylitis) in my lower back. The back of my pelvic bone is already corroded, and the fibromyalgia I have doesn't help things either. I wake up so early in the morning from the pain... It won't go away.
I see a doctor at a specialized pain clinic and am now in Physical Therapy, which drains me and my muscles spasm horribly. I've just learned to a accept it, as there is no cure, and lumbar injections don't work. The corrosion is creeping higher and higher. I don't know what else to do.

Anybody else with similar issues?

Todd Grace

The best carpentry and specialty building around
Nov 21, 2010
The Beach
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I happen to be one of the lucky few who have debilitating arthritis (spondylitis) in my lower back. The back of my pelvic bone is already corroded, and the fibromyalgia I have doesn't help things either. I wake up so early in the morning from the pain... It won't go away.
I see a doctor at a specialized pain clinic and am now in Physical Therapy, which drains me and my muscles spasm horribly. I've just learned to a accept it, as there is no cure, and lumbar injections don't work. The corrosion is creeping higher and higher. I don't know what else to do.

I have arthritis in my knuckles but that's where it's limited to.
I have something in my lower back and right pelvic area called a Copeland node and big problems with the right siatic nerve. The longer I spend on my feet the worse the hip is. I too wake in the middle of the night and early in the morning from pain and numbness. I also have spasms so drinking gatorade and power aid help with potassium levels when working excercising, or therapy. I switch up different medications which makes them work better. Any pain regiment will be more effective if your doctor is willing to switch up different medications.
I'm not giving advice but to me the worst thing people do is not moving around or even light exercise to bring better blood flow to injured areas or healing areas. Stick with the therapy. It will get worse if the muscles get weak in the surrounding areas.
I wish you the best and keep us updated on the progress.
In Yeshua, TG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Todd Grace

Nov 21, 2010
The Beach
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Murmur,
I get up in the middle of the night sometimes just to walk around and get movement in the hip. After 5-10 minutes the pain lessens and I go back to bed. Usually.
I hope your doctor advises some movement for you also.
I'm not recommending movement for an immediate injury but lingering problems.
Again I hope things get better for you. Let me know what happens.

Upvote 0

Todd Grace

Nov 21, 2010
The Beach
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Christine,
Welcome to the, " We're all in pain club".
Sorry about your stuff, that stinks.
If you like to read check out my wife's books. They are Y/A Christian horror. We just signed a movie contract for the first 2. Author Lisa Grace, Angel in the Shadows and Angel in the Storm. Angel in the Ice will be out late this week. They are Amazon ebooks but the Kindle app. is free.
If you don't have the dough, I'll have Lisa send them to you. Let me know. I think you'll really like them. reading is a good distraction from pain.
Hang tough, drop me a line.
Todd Grace

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟9,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have the same condition (ankylosing spondilitus) plus fibromyelga (sp?) and a few other things but for now I'll stick with the AS/Fibro!! I'm 40 and have had pain from it since 17. I started taking pain meds in 1999 but you never really get out of the pain even on the best day,am I right? I once played 4 instruments,Oil paint on canvas and played golf. Sadly,those days are long over. How do you deal with your AS?

• Friendly
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I snapped my lower back in a rail yard accident and have grade 1 spodilo I still work while dealing with other joint issues from injuries that are now arthritic. Depending on the grade you may be looking at having it fused. I have been told if not careful I could end up with a grade 3 that would have to be fused as grade 4 is severed spinal cord.

When in doubt get a second opinion as to treatments.

You're in the right place...we "get it" here.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟9,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Oh dear God YES!! I haven't read any other posts on here except yours so pardon if I'm in a cast of thousands but......
I am 41 and have had Ankylosing Spondilitus for 24 years now! I also have Fibromyalga(sp?) and some increadibly comfortable skin cancer. Throw in diabetes,hypertension and a few other odds and ends and well,you know....
It took forever to get diagnosed as dr's didn't think a guy so young would have arthritis but that's the culprit. It manifests itself in many ways but the pain in my chest is quite alarming. I recently developed these very painfull canker sore-type things on my TONGUE!! I've got one on the right and 3 on the left side. No one knows what is causing it ( big surprise ). Oh,I know what you're saying. Hypo!!! Right?? I've got proof for ALL of these things,however and I have days like today when my pain is really bad and there aren't enough meds to take it away ( just a small amount ) that my faith suffers. I know that my conditions will have SOME sort of positive results somewhere along the line at some point (sometime) but I try to take comfort in my fellow pain sufferers. I mean,it sucks that any of us have chronic pain but it does help to know I'm not alone.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
✟9,018.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for all the responses! I also have Anklosing Spondylitis in addition to the fibromyalgia and bursitis. I'm starting to wonder about that cane... :o
I'm there with you friend. I have A.S.and Fibro as well. I've recently experianced pretty good pain (though nothing compared to the AS pain) in my right elbow so the bursitis is a possibility as well. We get them bonus points for the pain trifecta ??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Murmur said:

Geez, I'm sorry to hear that! If it helps, I have lupus and fibrmyalgia, so I can definitely understand your pain! Some days my flares can get so bad I can't move, in spite of the medication. I'll pray for you, and just tell you, one thing I've learned is that God allows us each a challenge to face (a "cross" to bear if you will) so that we might call on Him to help us, to bring us closer to Him. So don't give up hope or lose faith. God is more that enough to help see you through! May God Richly Bless You! MM

Upvote 0

Savi

Jul 30, 2017
Tung chung
✟8,003.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi

Not sure if anyone is reading this thread anymore. I am learning to trust God through any facts the doctors could say. Apparently the rheumatologist says my SI joints are fused and I have AS. I am 37, married with a 2 year old and a wife who is 9 weeks pregnant who conceived a few days after the diagnosis.
I was a mess. Lot of guilt on how this could happen to me. If it was my sin that caused this or what. I was in depression etc etc. Also very confused about what to eat, medication etc.
I have never had excruciating pain and always manageable except for a neck that was getting stiff. A hip pain that used to come occasionally and stiffness when sleeping.
My inflammation has always been linked with some bad habits I started as a teen growing without a dad. Guilt of succumbing to that habit had gripped me till now, probably putting my body to a perpetual state of fight or flight.
9 weeks to the journey, I feel better than I was prior to the diagnosis. I have got myself right with the Lord, I spend more time in his word, praying and listening to him talk. Using the words I hear to fight any fear or pain. I use the armour of God to protect me from the spiritual attacks as I believe this is not war with flesh but in the spirit. Knowing who we are in Christ, and what salvation means to believer has immensely helped.i pray through the day taking 15mins off every 3 hours. In addition I have changed my diet and also started to do more stretches and exercises.
I know that as long as I get myself in order and Trust God, He will come through.
So far I have seen the following improvements.
1. I don't take pain killers. I rarely took painkillers previously but with the diagnosis the dr wanted me to take it daily. I stopped before n got massive flare ups. Now I go without one for weeks and no impact.
2. Used to feel fatigue in my spine and back, this is almost non existent
3. I had a massive pain in the left groin which I wasn't sure why. As of now, the pain is almost gone,and I walk without a limp.
4. I can straighten my back more than I could before
5. Sexually I am as struggling to function ion prior and just after the diagnosis. Mainly due to pain or due To my habits which were lustful. Now I have the most amazing sex I have ever had with my love, without guilt condemnation or fear.
6. I was just able to run a few feet with zero pain in my groin which I wasn't able to do for the last 8 weeks or so.
7. More Physio checked the way I move and said if my SI was fused, I can't do anything I was doing,this she agrees it's not perfect.

I still occasionally have fear, especially when I read the prognosis for this issue. But as of now my personal conviction is I am healed of AS, I don't have an auto immune issue, I have some inflammation in my body that is leaving as I transform by renewing of my mind. I know that my battle is not for me to fight, but for the Lord to fight as he can't do anything contrary to His word. I know my joints are going to be whole again. My rational mind says I am been stupid, but the side that is in tune to the word of God continues to walk in faith and not by sight.
I pray that you will seek him out, and see what the Lord has in store for you..

God bless you
Savi

Upvote 0

akshay

Nov 23, 2017
Northvale
✟603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello it would be really good to hear some advice and talk to people who understand how it feels. I had recently been diagnosed with RA. I was on hydroxychlorquine but been recommended to be on Methotrexate. I had pain in my feet everyday with the mornings being the worse. but when I am wearing orthofeet's shoes, at that time I dont have pain in my feet.

Upvote 0

Antig

Dec 19, 2017
Dublin
✟8,390.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suffer with bad lower back pain. Doctor has said it is spondylitis.

I work and take pain killers daily. Co-codomol or Ibuprofen. Got appointment next week at hospital. Again!

I am hoping to have an MRI scan. My doc thinks i need one. Pain is aweful. Thing is, i need my job. What can i do if i cant work?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have Ankylosing Spondylitis. I have severe fusing in my upper spine and neck and my lumbar region has a sheath of calcium around it. Thankfully I don't suffer from pain or fatigue. I've just shrunk from 6'2" to 5'8" and am a hunchback now.
Bret Hunchback.jpg

Upvote 0