pew pew pew
Mar 4, 2009
San Francisco
✟13,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do like a clean space. I think it makes me feel like I'm having a stroke when it's not nice and so that's why I hate cleaning it up from that state so much. Music might help.

Oh, music is a must!! The more energetic, the better. :)

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
ok, so those of you who like it... WHAT about it is pleasurable?

I enjoy cleaning. I find it to be relaxing and it makes me feel productive (it feels good to see the finished product and see how good everything looks after it's been cleaned).

Upvote 0

Nilla

No longer on staff
Apr 8, 2006
Sweden
✟56,683.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't like to clean but I like having my place clean.

I've gotten better at keeping it tidy though. Right now it could use a good clean.. haven't done it though.

Tip: Blast some music and just go at it.. either take one room at the time or do a little here and a little there. Take the messiest part first, that way you'll see a vast improvement and that will boost your energy to keep going. (well that helps for me anyway..)

Hmm what about involving your 5yr old and teen in cleaning something. 5yr olds usually love to be a part of things and help out. =)

Upvote 0

Nilla

No longer on staff
Apr 8, 2006
Sweden
✟56,683.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
or.. you could put this up and just go with the flow.. ;)

twitter-cleaning-thumb_138848319.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I can think of no other house hold chore so boring as cleaning. The only reason I do a daily dust/hoover is because dust mites and I have a long standing feud, if they're not controlled on a daily/twice daily basis the build ups result in coughing, itching, swelling and general discomfort. Seeing as I have no desire to be covered in angry red rashes and have streaming, swollen eyes complete with a chest that's positively creaking daily cleaning is a necessary bore. The only thing that vaguely gets me going is the prospect of loud music and vigorous dancing to accompany basic cleaning movements. Tidying is another chore I abhor. There's a cycle that repeats constantly with tidying; no tidying occurs for weeks resulting in mess and general flinging of items when something needs to be found, an important item invariably fails to be found, massive tidying spree results. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The only areas i'm fastidious about cleaning AND tidying would be the bathroom and kitchen, especially in the student house. Especially handles, taps and switches. Everyone in this house seems to forget they need a decent clean as much as everything else, and come on, your hands touch various things before and after you wash them, if you don't wash these things you are just transferring the things you were supposed to of washed off back onto your fresh hands. But if I lived by myself I probably wouldn't give them the daily thorough clean they currently get, it's just ... 7 girls and most of them inviting 1-4 guests over every other day can result in these areas being used by up to TWENTY-EIGHT people a day. TWENTY-EIGHT. Those areas NEED to be cleaned, thoroughly and properly, not just a quick wipe with a towel, a full on clean.

Again loud music helps, as does being very angry and taking out the anger on the objects being cleaned/tidies. It's particularly effective if you are angry because people have let the cleanliness levels of the public areas slip and no-one seems to realise just how vile it really is to not clean the bathroom handles/flush/taps/shower or how wrong it is to leave plates piled up long enough to start growing green furry things. Just no. No.

I wish I could get a thrill from cleaning the house, that would be sweet as cake.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Ugh. The house is a mess since I've not been able to really use my hand since Tuesday. (it's better now). Unfortunately that means I have to clean it up now that I can use it again. UGH. Hate cleaning. Is there any way to talk yourself into liking this stuff?

I love cleaning. I really do. I like the sense of accomplishment and the immediate, tangible reward.

I've always had that infirmity. Even as a kid, my room was always very neat, bed made....

My apartment always looks good. Even Mom say so!

At work, my desk is not only very organized and neat - but I have some nice pictures and things around....

I wash my car typically weekly (including the interior, wheels and tires). I wax it 4 times a year.

Applies personally, too. I shower 2-3 times a day. Brush those pearly whites at least twice (thrice if I can). Clothes are never worn more than once.

Now, if I go to some guys place and it looks like a tornado hit the place - I could care less. If it stinks - that bothers me. If it's genuinely unsanitary - I might think twice about what I eat there. How OTHERS live doesn't bother me. If YOU are a "messy" - that's fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HazelWings

There is no one like our God
Apr 17, 2011
Oregon
Visit site
✟18,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ugh. The house is a mess since I've not been able to really use my hand since Tuesday. (it's better now). Unfortunately that means I have to clean it up now that I can use it again. UGH. Hate cleaning. Is there any way to talk yourself into liking this stuff?

I keep waiting for the cleaning fairy to show up but she never does. It's hard when it snowballs and then you have to work that much harder to get it decent, I'm sorry :( Glad your hand is doing better!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vacuuming and dusting are the things it's hardest for me to get into, and I tend to put off for way too long. Other chores (laundry, dishes) I actually enjoy, and find very relaxing. But yeah...don't try to count my dust bunnies lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I like cleaning once I get started on it, but it's hard for me to get the motivation to start. I have to really clean the house every weekend (so that sucks) but I pick up every day. I make the kids help me too. At ages four and five, they must learn to pick up after themselves. :)

Upvote 0

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think I learned to like cleaning as both of my parents were very ......well I won't sugar coat it, they are slobs when it comes to keeping the house clean. They're grade A pack rats, hate to throw anything away but barely use 90 percent of what they have. It drives me nuts.

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yup, but there's a large difference between cleaning and organizing.
I love love love to organize things (yes I realize this is almost unhealthy :D) However general house cleaning isn't the most pleasant thing to endure.

I agree! Organizing is my favorite thing to do. Even thought about trying my hand to do it professionally but there is no money in that.

I'm not a huge fan of scrubbing bathtubs or sinks. Everything else I don't mind doing. I usually put on some fun music full blast and go at it.

Upvote 0