Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If so, where have you gone? Tell us about the restaurant (where it was, what you ate, what the restaurant is rated - could be a Yelp rating or Michelin rating if it's that fancy; also what was the occasion)!

Just to avoid confusion, let's say by "fine dining" we're talking about places that cost $40-60 or more per person.

Reactions: Rhamiel

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy good food I don't require high dollar plates though.

I have had $45 burgers that weren't impressive in the least. But have had a $28 BBQ bacon cheddar burger that was the best burger I have ever had. Even compared to a buffalo burger (Which isn't "bad" but Ill stick with cow, even though they are similar. Maybe it was the placebo effect, but Buffalo didn't taste as good.)

(Yes, burgers are my default food. They are simplistic and therefor any reasonably competent cook can make one that is edible.)

Having had high dollar plates and cheap plates

IMO you find better tasting food more often than not in cheap places, like taco trucks (If you find a good one) than you do at high dollar restaurants. (Thats not to say the high dollar food is "bad", just every time I have ever had it, it has been meh. Good, but not worth the price.)

Upvote 0

sarah_beloved

Whom Jesus loves
Feb 20, 2016
Singapore
✟9,270.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I basically love good food, so doesn't really matter if they are cheap or expensive. But since we're on this topic, I've tried a few:

Caprice
French
Michelin two-star

Seasons by Olivier E.
French
Michelin one-star

Sun Tung Lok
Chinese
Michelin two-star

They are all in Hong Kong. No I don't live there, it was my second time traveling alone and so, might as well. My favourite was caprice, because of the splendid view over the harbour and excellent service. I had a fish which was very well done. Minimal seasoning and no sauces, just some tangy salad at the side. Yet it was so delicious.

Seasons messed up my reservation and left me standing awkwardly in the middle of the restaurant with everyone staring. Normally I wouldn't have cared but being a Chinese who can speak no cantonese and very limited mandarin in HK is already awkward on its own. I had some risotto. Good, but not outstanding. Perhaps I should have ordered something else. But the dessert was lovely. It was something like a soufflé.

I had dim sum at the last one and didn't particularly enjoy it. I still prefer the traditional way with the waitresses pushing the steaming carts down the aisle and they would get annoyed when we take too long to decide :p

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've eaten at the The Capital Grille on a few occasions, it's actually owned by Darden and has several restaurants in major cities around the country. It's our go-to place for nice occasions.

The other place I've been is Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, it's rated as the best steakhouse in Texas (I've also eaten at #3) and one of the best in the country. Most of the reviews agree it should be Michelin rated, but it has yet to be.

Upvote 0

MotherFirefly

May 10, 2016
U.S.
✟43,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The nicest [read:most expensive] place I ever sat down was a brazil steakhouse, Fogo de Chao. Steak was good, but I think outback was better.... and a quarter the cost.

Was just a gathering with some friends and BF at the time... i didnt pay for mine, so *shrugs*

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
image.jpg

I was there just this past week in Alberta visiting family (my sister, nephews and I went to visit our Uncle, Aunt and cousin(s)).
The place was very nice and cozy, dim lights so it was easy on my head as I had migraine issues >.< So, good on the restaurant for making it a mercury-free zone. And the food was expensive!

:muahah:

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
the Ocean Club in Columbus Ohio

lobster bisque with corn fritters served French style
fresh corn, lobster meat, green onions, and corn fritters are served in a bowl, and then the waiter pours the hot bisque over it
(French style has a focus on doing as much table side as possible, like you will see people do bannanas foster beside the guests table, that is an example of French style)

a nice wedge salad with good bacon and a cabernet savignion reduction in the dressing, fresh cherry tomatoes

a New York Strip Steak cooked medium rare with black truffle butter ontop

asparagus with a hollandaise sauce

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well, the most expensive place I have ever eaten was P.F. Changs, so I don't know anything about "fine dining". I think I spent $25 just on myself but I enjoyed it. I did eat at a "pub" in Denver that was pretty expensive but the food was garbage. The service was bad, the food was bad, the atmosphere sucked....it was just all around bad.

On second thought I did eat in some pretty nice places while I was in Ireland. Most of those places had 3 courses and several sets of silverware but the food was good and so was the service....plus I found some great pubs and little holes in the wall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaIsabella

Princess
May 16, 2016
Southern Ohio
✟8,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I enjoy fine dining very much so but not necessarily at a restaurant, I love meals prepared at home or for high society social events most of all. I don't particularly rely on ratings sites nor do I necessarily record where I go. My tastes are so very diverse and I've been to thousands of restaurants across the nation. I only visit places recommended to me by the locals of that particular city or region. I will never visit the same restaurant twice because it's not in my nature.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I am not a fan of "fine dining". For me, food does not taste better in a dress and heels and that is the dress of fine dining. I also don't value food enough to make it worth spending that much money on. In fact, presentation is totally lost on me. Give me good bbq or a steak & baked potato on a picnic table wearing tennis shoes over the restaurant that doesn't post prices any day of the week...or even the finer restaurant that doesn't have a menu. That said, I do know some people must have finer taste buds than mine just like some people have finer appreciation for music or art than I do, so I won't say that fine dining is a waste for everyone else. It is simply lost of on me. I do have a friend that is always cooking fancy named things in his own kitchen so obviously does...however, I know he draws the line at eating at his wife's favorite restaurant which costs about $250 for dinner for two...because he even says, no food tastes THAT good.

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Just to avoid confusion, let's say by "fine dining" we're talking about places that cost $40-60 or more per person.
I love it, though I'm generally a very thrifty person, so I can't justify it to myself often.

I had a $40 steak earlier this week, and I have to say, while it was very good, I don't understand the price. I'm fine with a casual restaurant.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I love it, though I'm generally a very thrifty person, so I can't justify it to myself often.

I had a $40 steak earlier this week, and I have to say, while it was very good, I don't understand the price. I'm fine with a casual restaurant.

Part of the price is the restaurant's atmosphere including paying for better service. Part of it is paying for the chef & staff's superior knowledge and training. Part of it was the cut of the meat. Part is simply the higher rent because fine dining is never in the cheap rent districts. Never is a restaurant meal the price of the food alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Part of the price is the restaurant's atmosphere including paying for better service. Part of it is paying for the chef & staff's superior knowledge and training. Part of it was the cut of the meat. Part is simply the higher rent because fine dining is never in the cheap rent districts. Never is a restaurant meal the price of the food alone.
Oh, I'm well aware. I mean on my end. At a family restaurant where the entrée costs $15, I personally enjoy the food just as much and leave just as satisfied. I suppose whether it's worth it depends on what the person wants to get out of the experience.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I personally think a plain piece of meat is a waste at a fine dining restaurant...if you are going, get something that requires a recipe and special skill to cook. Some of the best steak I have ever eaten is off a backyard grill marinated in some machinist's special marinade that he has created over the years.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Launceton Place in South Ken, London. It was awesome. I had white truffle risotto, and it was done to perfection. I also had a fun time being a rascal American, pointing out the sexism of them trying to give chocolate to females only on the way out the door.

Upvote 0