• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Any other clergy abuse victims?

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Faith is not about one person. Its not about one member of clergy. They are human and not divine. They are sinners.

One has to realise that these abusers are just ordinary people and not a pathway to God on their own. One needs to pray and seek Gods guidance and to soldier on knowing that God is so much bigger than one person!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please define what you mean by clergy abuse. I can think of a few different ways of looking at that:

sexual abuse
ritual abuse
cultic control issues

I am sure there are more.

Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟435,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Faith is not about one person. Its not about one member of clergy. They are human and not divine. They are sinners.
One has to realise that these abusers are just ordinary people and not a pathway to God on their own. One needs to pray and seek Gods guidance and to soldier on knowing that God is so much bigger than one person!
I have been trying to look at it that way, thank you for the reminder.

Please define what you mean by clergy abuse. I can think of a few different ways of looking at that:

sexual abuse
ritual abuse
cultic control issues

I am sure there are more.
It was sexual abuse. Some religious objects were involved too.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was sexual abuse. Some religious objects were involved too.
Yikes. So sorry to hear about that.

I experienced the cultish control abuse.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Or just me? If you are a clergy abuse victim, how did you go about reclaiming your faith?

Yes.

I am not sure I have really reclaimed what I had. I now have something different, and certainly more fearful. What has kept me at church is a very kind Vicar at a different church, but it is certainly not the same as before and neither am I. It took 3 years to get an apology from the wider church, but that has now happened. For a long time they bought into the abuser's version, which presented it as parish politics and normal. It was not. But even having that apology does not undo the harm; it may help me to find a way forward, but there is no healing for the past, partly because there has been no acknowledgement or apology from the person concerned; nothing at all. (Not to me, at least; I don't know about to others.)

I am afraid we cannot ever go back; we have to look to a new future and a new relationship with the church. As I see it part of my new relationship is to make the church aware of what happened, and to ensure that it does not happen again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I am afraid the 'clergy are only human' defence is no defence at all. Would we say that of a serial killer, or a child abuser, or of the ISIS thugs? So why say it of clergy who abuse their position? Clergy are trusted beyond other people, and this makes their abuses far worse than those of others. We allow clergy into our homes, we give them 'family' access in ways that others simply would not have. When they abuse that trust it is therefore MORE serious; it is not the same as abuse by anyone else. Abuse by a professionals is always of a more serious order; doctor, psychiatrist, teacher or clergy. They have a particular duty of care, and it must be respected. 'Only human' is not appropriate; these are professionals.

A crime is a crime, and by definition crimes are perpetrated by people who are without exception 'only human.' Our prisons are full of 'only humans'. The term is meaningless, and in the context of abuse it risks minimising the crime committed, and the seriousness of the effect on those who have been harmed in a very real way.

Last edited:
Reactions: gerbilwoman
Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟435,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes.

I am not sure I have really reclaimed what I had. I now have something different, and certainly more fearful. What has kept me at church is a very kind Vicar at a different church, but it is certainly not the same as before and neither am I. It took 3 years to get an apology from the wider church, but that has now happened. For a long time they bought into the abuser's version, which presented it as parish politics and normal. It was not. But even having that apology does not undo the harm; it may help me to find a way forward, but there is no healing for the past, partly because there has been no acknowledgement or apology from the person concerned; nothing at all. (Not to me, at least; I don't know about to others.)

I am afraid we cannot ever go back; we have to look to a new future and a new relationship with the church. As I see it part of my new relationship is to make the church aware of what happened, and to ensure that it does not happen again.
Sorry to hear you were abused too. I think you are right, I do need to create a new future.

I am afraid the 'clergy are only human' defence is no defence at all. Would we say that of a serial killer, or a child abuser, or of the ISIS thugs? So why say it of clergy who abuse their position? Clergy are trusted beyond other people, and this makes their abuses far worse than those of others. We allow clergy into our homes, we give them 'family' access in ways that others simply would not have. When they abuse that trust it is therefore MORE serious; it is not the same as abuse by anyone else. Abuse by a professionals is always of a more serious order; doctor, psychiatrist, teacher or clergy. They have a particular duty of care, and it must be respected. 'Only human' is not appropriate; these are professionals.

A crime is a crime, and by definition crimes are perpetrated by people who are without exception 'only human.' Our prisons are full of 'only humans'. The term is meaningless, and in the context of abuse it risks minimising the crime committed, and the seriousness of the effect on those who have been harmed in a very real way.
I agree, well said!

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums