my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
the OP (years ago!) posted this:
The Torah, given from God to Moses on Mount Sinai, imposes dietary restrictions that form the basis for kosher food requirements. Among these restrictions is a ban upon mixing meat and dairy products ("You shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk"). Kosher animals are those that chew their own cud and have split hooves. Fish must have fins and scales. Fowl have a very detailed list of requirements.

since this thread was resurrected it should be made clear that the separation of meat and dairy is a purely rabbinical tradition and not a command of Torah. The Torah command is to not boil a kid in its mother's milk. Literally.

Upvote 0

Guest007

Dec 7, 2006
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are suppose to eat kosher, Jesus never said he purified the foods! That was added in by translators! You should read the LITV
(The Literal Translation Of The Holy Bible), it will have the exact words with nothing added by translators, this is what I suggest:

goto google and search "The Literal Translation Of The Holy Bible"

Now let's take a look at the KJV (King James Version Of The Holy Bible) compared to the LITV the literal version(with nothing added to it).

the statement of Jesus in Mark 7:1-23 was not talking about abolishing these rules of God but about the character and spirituality of a Christian.

[BIBLE]
KJV

"Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? 19For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")
20He went on: "What comes out of a man is what makes him 'unclean.' 21For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean.' "
(Mk.7:18-23).[/BIBLE]

[BIBLE]
LITV

18 And He said to them, Are you also so undiscerning? Do you not perceive that all that enters from the outside into the man is not able to defile him?
19 This is because it does not enter into his heart, but into the belly, and goes out into the waste-bowl, purging all the foods.
20 And He said, That passing out of the man, it is the thing that defiles the man.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, pass out the evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 thefts, greedy desires, iniquities, deceit, lustful desires, a wicked eye, blasphemy, pride, recklessness.
23 All these evil things pass out from within and defile the man.

(Mrk 7 : 18-23)

[/BIBLE]

Purging all foods does not mean cleaning all foods! It's is something that translators put in there.

Purging basically means to release

so this is the way it was interpreted[hope I used the right word] by me:

[BIBLE]

18 And He said to them, Are you also so undiscerning? Do you not perceive that all that enters from the outside into the man is not able to make him unclean ?
19 This is because it does not enter into his heart, but into the belly, and goes out into the waste-bowl, getting rid of all the foods.
20 And He said, That passing out of the man, it is the thing that makes the man unclean.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, pass out the evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 thefts, greedy desires, iniquities, deceit, lustful desires, a wicked eye, blasphemy, pride, recklessness.
23 All these evil things pass out from within and unclean the man.

[/BIBLE]

Jesus never said he cleaned all meats. He said what you eat can not defile you, which means make you unclean!

If you choose to eat roaches, it will not defile you!

If you choose to eat mice/rats , it will not defile you!

If you were to eat poison, it will not defile you!

although you may be dead from drinking the poison you will still be seen clean in G-d's/Jesus's eyes.

I think Jesus was saying this because they were forced to eat with dirty hands, they had no choice. If they did have a choice, they would have eaten kosher and even after Jesus had said that, I'm sure they continued to eat kosher.

A better way to explain the usage this passage is:

You eating at your best friends house and you noticed that the meat you were eating was pork! You can say "Okay, I ate it by mistake but that's okay because I am not defiled and I can still continue to eat kosher and not be defiled because of this incident.

Also, I think when G-d told Peter to eat the non kosher food G-d made it clean for him, not for us but, for him. Why? Because G-d knew just like in Mrk 7 : 18-23 that there was no other choice they would have starved to death!

If we are supposed to be in Jesus's likeness, and Jesus always ate kosher, then why do most Christians refuse to eat/believe in kosher? That would be enough to make me think, "Maybe because I don't follow kosher I am sinning because I am suppose to be like Jesus".

I hope that opened your minds and you would start eating kosher no matter what!

Upvote 0

winslow

Dec 25, 2005
✟8,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
. In acts 10:9-18 peter is hungry but has no food to eat. The lord appears to him in a vision and shows him all the beasts of the earth clean and "unclean", The lord says to peter, "Rise Peter kill and eat" Peters response to this was, "No Lord it cannot be so, for i have never eaten anything clean or uncommon" then Jesus says, "you must not call common what God has cleansed". So you see we are free to eat what we like, in good control of course.

Act 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
I found going fully kosher to be rather difficult in the US. To find and buy good approved by Rabbi's is expensive and time consuming. Being the cheap guy i am i decided to follow more of a halal(muslim) diet which is much easier and more affordable to follow.. Any non-pork non-shellfish meat is on the table. And if you take into account the logic behind not eating of shellfish you can even add lobster , crab, and shrimp to the menu becuase they are not subject to the same levels of pollutants/environmental toxins that you find in oysters and clams. Those shellfish eat pretty much the same stuff that regular finned/scaled fish do so if you omit them from your diet you might as well do away with seafood period as they provide similar levels of danger.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
re: post 63.....

the key to unlocking this verse in Acts is that Peter describes multiple animal types on the sheet, there were

unclean (akatharton) animals,

and there were

common (koninon (from where we get the word fellowship) animals

unclean animals are those not classed as food according to torah
common animals are animals classed as food which have become unfit due to something happening to them (in this case coming into contact with unclean animals).

in response, god says, he should not call any man common or unclean

the standards are about people not food. The torah rules as to what is and is not classed as food remain.

I eat only clean foods not because I a jewish, but because God says it is the better thing to do.... both in the law and also before the law.

Jesus when discussing food with the pharisees said, about what was being eaten (as it would only have been foodstuffs defined by torah) if made common could be eaten with thanksgiving.

Steve

p.s. i have not read it myself, but have heard good reviews about a book called 'holy cow' by somebody Lancaster I think (this is a link to the google book version).

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Since nothing has really changed in each annimal or us since creation, I would say that the closer we get to Eden, the better off we are.

Everything has its downfalls. Excesses, McDonald's diet, junk food, kosher and non-kosher, etc.

God wants us to return to Eden and when He creates a new heaven and a new earth, we will once again be in the garden of eden. Since that is our destination, I believe it is wise to follow the Lord's wisdom in food choices... starting with the fruitarian diet, and then the herbs and vegetables added... moving on to the kosher diet as given on Mount Sinai... I am all for not comsuming Monsanto manipulated foods and radiated foods.

There is a lot of research that has shown the advantages of each.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm slowly but surely gonna start eating kosher.
Anyone else fall in this category?
I do make sure when I cook any pork products, that they are fully cooked, whereas I like my steaks and beef products extra rare.

Romans 14:14 I have known and am persuaded in Lord Jesus that nothing contaminating thru himself, except to the one accounting any being-unclean to be, to that one being-unclean. [Genesis 9:33]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
the OP (years ago!) posted this:

since this thread was resurrected it should be made clear that the separation of meat and dairy is a purely rabbinical tradition and not a command of Torah. The Torah command is to not boil a kid in its mother's milk. Literally.
I just noticed this ^_^

8th December 2006, 12:37 AM

14th December 2003, 10:58 AM

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.