Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
"It is an exciting time in the church with such initiatives as Nightfever" George Weigel, Author and Catholic Commentator, St Andrew's Conference, Glasgow .

I spotted a notice at church about Nightfever , but took little notice .

Then I read this in the newsletter of a town-centre parish of a neighbouring town up here in Lancashire in the north of England .

NIGHT FEVER 'Come and See' . St Mary’s 20—20 Group (16—35 Group) The Blessed Sacrament will be exposed from 7pm - 10pm each second Friday of the month—next Friday, 13th. The 20-20 Group (our young adults) will invite passers-by to come and light a candle in Church. They have had over 150 people respond to this initiative over two nights on previous occasions; some who have never set foot inside a Church for years! Some stay for a minute, others stop and sit for quite a while some chat with our Group members. It’s very much in line with Pope Francis’ preaching on bringing the church to the people! All parishioners are asked to come and support the work of our Young Adults: just call into church for however long you wish— 15 minutes to the full 3 hours: your choice. Your presence and prayers are all that is asked.

I did a bit of googling and learned that Nightfever began in Bonn , Germany , as a follow-up to the 2005 World Youth Day . Since then , as it spread in Germany , it has spread to Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Denmark, England, Scotland, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Canada, Croatia, Australia, Brasil, USA, Belgium, Poland, Argentina, Thailand, Luxembourg, France, Slovakia, Mexico, Bosnia and Herzegovina, India and Hungary.

That's some going .

As an example , Nightfever London runs every four to six weeks at St Patrick's Soho Square, a busy Catholic church in the centre of London.Each evening is begins with the celebration of Mass at 6pm. Directly after Mass, volunteers for the street missions assemble downstairs in the community centre to plan the evening.Directly after Mass, the Blessed Sacrament is placed on the Altar for Adoration, musicians begin to play, and priests arrive to hear confessions. The evening continues until Compline, Night Prayer, at 10.30pm.

Nightfever at St. Patrick's , Soho , London.....I'm impressed .

This is good news.....so please , share some good news about the Church which you have discovered......there's plenty , I'm sure .......it isn't all bad.....we need to hear of the good !

Reactions: pdudgeon

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's awesome!

There is good news at my Parish every day. On any given day we are helping the hungry or homeless, sponsoring mission trips, educating the young and old alike in the faith, serving our community, and of course, celebrating the Sacraments. None of that grabs headlines on fearmongering 24hr news chanels and none of that fits the paranoid sky-is-falling narrative that a vocal minority of Christians have lent their voices to, but that's life.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We recently lost the best young Priest I've met in a lot of years, he was recalled by he Diocese and assigned to bigger and better things. This is good news, as he is a truly faithful and tireless servant of God who is very visible in the community. It is wonderful that more people will come to know him and be inspired to the faith by him. He really has a special charism for bringing our youth to know and love and serve Christ.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We recently lost the best young Priest I've met in a lot of years, he was recalled by he Diocese and assigned to bigger and better things. This is good news, as he is a truly faithful and tireless servant of God who is very visible in the community. It is wonderful that more people will come to know him and be inspired to the faith by him. He really has a special charism for bringing our youth to know and love and serve Christ.
We lost a great priest at our parish - who was young like and inspiring.
He gained a much bigger parish among college students at Penn State.

Our current priest --- i guess he is ok.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
There are three parishes for the town in which I live .

Two of them are served by priests who are converts from Anglicanism , one having been an Anglican priest , and is now a married Catholic priest with three grown up children .

No problems with any of my present or past parish priests .

They have deficiences , as do all humans , but in essence they are ministers of Word and Sacraments.

People can expect too much of their priests .

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
The Divine Retreat Centre in Kerala , India , bears fruit in The Divine Retreat Centre in Ramsgate, Kent , England .

The Christian faith was preached in Kent by St. Augustine , a Benedictine monk who was sent to England by Pope Gregory the Great. This “Apostle to the English” became the first Archbishop of Canterbury in 597 AD.

Now St. Augustine’s Abbey in Ramsgate , Kent , has been transformed into the Divine Retreat Centre UK run by the Vincentian Fathers of the Marymatha Province, India.

So missionaries from India are now welcomed in Kent , England . :airplane: :) That's good news.......

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
A painting which has hung in a small Lancashire Anglican church for two centuries has been revealed as a lost masterpiece worth more than £100,000.......Good news for that church ......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-33594464

_84378362_84376959.jpg

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:
Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
two things to share;
1.it was just announced on EWTN this afternoon that Fr.Robert Barron has accepted the post to become an Auxiliary Bishop of the diocese of Los Angeles, Ca.:clap::clap::clap:
http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/father-robert-barron-two-others-named-auxiliary-bishops-of-la

2. Fr. Joseph Mary Wolf celebrated his 25th anniversary of baptism and holy orders yesterday in services broadcast on EWTN :oldthumbsup::amen:

That's good news .

I enjoy listening to Father Robert Barron's talks which I find on Youtube .

As a bishop I hope he will be able to continue this ministry .

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
More good , inspiring news......there's plenty about......

Last December a selfless homeless man in Preston , Lancashire , offered a stranded student his last remaining £3 so she could pay for a taxi to get home safely.

The remarkable act of kindness has been reciprocated , as the student spent 24 hours on the street - to raise him much-needed cash for the deposit on a flat.

And Dominique Harrison-Bentzen, 22, has already smashed her target of raising £12,500 for the man, identified only as Robbie.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/homeless-man-gives-student-last-4822025

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
It is good news for the Church in England that decades of ignorance , prejudice and intolerance found among Christians is for the most part a thing of the past .

It is good news for the Church in England that when St Pope John Paul II visited the UK he went on pilgrimage to Canterbury Cathedral where he was welcomed by Robert Runcie , Archbishop of Canterbury......
Pope-John-Paul-II-Canterbury_large.jpg

Together they knelt in prayer at the spot where St Thomas a Becket was martyred .

It is good news for the Church in England when Pope Benedict prayed with Rowan Williams , the Archbishop of Canterbury , at the Shrine of St Edward the Confessor in Westminster Abbey....

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I got a new schedule at work. Four 10's rather than the conventional five 8's. In addition to an extra day off each week, I'm now getting weekends off too which is going to allow me to attend Latin Mass on Sunday mornings now. There's no TLM on Sunday evenings at my tiny FSSP parish so my only choice with the old schedule was a Novus Ordo Mass at a larger parish. I like the NO Mass, don't get me wrong, but I like the TLM better. So this will be great!

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
For too many years the only news to come from Northern Ireland seemed to be bad news .

Thankfully things have changed .

In those gloomy years who would have thought that Martin McGuinness , once a member of the Provisional IRA , and later to become the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland , serving alongside the late Ian Paisley , the First Minister of Northern Ireland and for many the Archpriest of the Protestant Loyalists , would have spoken as he did on the death of Ian Paisley ?.....

Reactions: S.ilvio
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,292.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you Colin.

Martin, maybe more than any other former IRA member has shown and lead others to a path of mutual respect and reconciliation. But it takes two to tango and it has to be said that Ian Paisley, despite his historic anti-Catholic rhetoric, met Martin halfway and together they brought the North into the 21st century in peace.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have good news on a very local scale. ..I'm a new lector and Friday I found out I was on the schedule for today. Turns out the readings were two that hold some real significance and insight for me. For the first time in a while I felt I could really read them without having to ignore a pesky inner voice. Plus the story of Elijah in the desert was just the motivation I need.

Upvote 0