• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Any alcoholics here?

HisEagle

Senior Veteran
Feb 26, 2004
✟10,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry - I looked, and can't find a forum which deals with this specifically. So I'm putting this here.

After 39 years, I've recently discovered I am alcoholic. I know alcoholism runs in my family, and I never really thought it would surface in me, but in the past 2 months I have gotten wasted drunk on 5 occasions. That may or may not classify me as an alcoholic, you might say - but on several of those occasions, I wanted to get drunk simply because I was having trouble dealing with some things. So now what? Right now, I don't feel like drinking. But what happens when I feel like getting plastered again? Have I caught this early enough that I will be able to keep it from going any further?

Any other alcoholics out there? How do you deal with the feelings behind wanting to drink?

Ann Doupont

Veteran
Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hey there,

I was an alcoholic for many years, before I went to A.A. (Alcoholics Anonymous) and began to use their 12 step program to evaluate my life. If you would to PM me, please do.

It has now been over 23 years since I've gotten "plastered," as you put it. God is good!!

There are 2 types of alcoholics: daily drinkers and periodic ones. A periodic is what your situation sounds like. That's what I was like, too, before I entirely stopped. I'd go for awhile without drinking at all, and think that perhaps I had it licked.

I would highly recommend AA. They also now have programs called, "Celebrate Recovery," in many places. Also AA meetings that meet in some churches. The 12 step program really works.

Love in Christ,

Ann

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am an alcoholic. I have gone to AA for fifteen years. It has been three years since I had a drink of alcohol.

Some churches offer programs that are based on the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. If your church doesn't offer one, definitely go to AA. Check the website at www.alcholics-anonymous.org

Feel free to PM me if you like.

Hugs,
Madison

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My friend..I am not an alcoholic...but I am a depressive...and I know that they both can be debilating...You really need to get someone to help you with this...a trusted mentor...not just some friend...friends are reall bad with this sometimes...

Upvote 0

Arwen Undomiel

love one another
Mar 4, 2004
✟17,013.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm very involved in my church's Celebrate Recovery ministry (http://www.celebraterecovery.com/index.asp) and I lead the women's step study each week. This is an excellent Christian recovery program that incorporates the 12 Steps with 8 recovery principles that are Biblically based. I encourage you to check the locations on the website and try out a local group. It's a safe, warm, encouraging place to share with people who struggle with the same things you do. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Upvote 0

jonnylove

Dec 23, 2004
u.k, england, worcester
✟7,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all. I used to be an alcholic before I got saved. I used to drink every day till I was drunk or just passed out. I recived deliverence from this from the Lord, but recently I've started drinking again (binge drinking). Every month on payday I go out with friends from work into town, to basically get drunk. I wouldn't say I was an alcholic again, but if I carry on in this way, I will definately be on my way.

Be blessed.

Love in Jesus, Jonathan.

Upvote 0
P

perfection

I seriously advice you to contact AA, and other supportive groups in order to get rid of your alcohol problems, you really need to pray to God A LOT, in order to get the strenght to get rid of this terrible evil, up until you come to the full realisation that alcohol is not a problem solver, but a symptom suppressor, when you wake up all the problems in your life are still there, http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/ will help you to find the right keys to open the door so you can leave the room with problems behind you.

Upvote 0
I

InTheFlame

Hi groundhog, yup I am... and struggle with depression to boot :) I caught mine early (well, God did - he told me to join the Salvos as a soldier, and when I stopped drinking... whooooeee! I didn't realise it'd be so hard. Even nowadays (5 years on) it can be difficult at times. But I praise God he grabbed me out of it when he did... catching it early makes it a lot easier from what I've seen. God bless.

Upvote 0

Andy-Acts2:38

Jan 19, 2005
Southwest USA
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Groundhog,
I can totaly relate to your wanting to stay away from getting drunk yet unable to.I found out That drinking is but a symptom.I had to lear to Live my life as Jesus wants me to.
When stress hit me.When anger hit me.When ANYthing Hit Me I wanted to get drunk and or high.
I Got into a Christian based recovery.I had to get help.My BEST thinking got me drunk.Got me high.I did The 3 step plan(Hence my name Acts2:38)I repented of my sins,Got Baptized then recieved the gift(POWER)of the Holy Spirit.That Gave me the willingness to let GOD start working in me.He introduced me to some people that helped me to understand that I would have to be willing to do 12 simple steps.NOTE,I said simple NOT always easy.For me the secret that really helped me to make it alot easier was to Realize I was POWERLESS over alcahol.That my life was unmanigable.Now for me That was a hard one I made a very good living.HOW could my life be unmanagable.YOU KNOW It was because NO matter how much I did NOT want to drink again.I WOULD and DID get drunk.UNTIL I accepted that GOD had all power.That God COULD/Has given the tools for sick people like us.I believe God spoke to Bill W and the first 100 members of alcaholic Anonymous.Thats where I found my help for my alcaholizm.I and a BUNCH of Christians I know have said,"NO WAY"Because they believe in a God of "THERE"Understanding.WEll I prayed about it.I came to realize it is "A God of OUR Understanding for EVERYSINGLE ONE OF US"ALL the time.almost everytime I open and study the Bible.My understanding of GOD Changes.

Groundhog,Have you ever concidered trying AA.To Let God Help you with your drinking?
IAM Going to be praying for you groundhog.I KNOW Jesus does NOT want you to keep suffering.He wants to give you healing.YES HE could Heal you in a blink of an eye.But I have seen it MUCH more that God uses the AA Program to help you lern how to live as God wants YOU to live.That way HE can turn your mess into your message and help other~smiles in the Lord.Thats what HE did for me.I aint NOTHING special.What He did for me.God WILL do for you,Provided you are willing to take the action nessissary(faith with out works is dead)

God Bless you and yours
God Bless Christian Forums
A Recovering and Thriving brother in Christ
Andy-Acts2:38

P.S.Groundhog send me a message here I would be glad to share more!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums