Anti-Gay or Pro-Christian?

Anti-Gay bigotry or anti-Christian intolerance?

• Anti-Gay

• Anti-Christian

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This just makes my worst fears come true.

I tend to get a bit paranoid sometimes. I get a thought in my head and then I can't shake it. Usually some worrisome thing. I think it has to do with OCD. Anyway, one of my latest ones has been due to an incident where I ran into a "gay Christian" on another site and ending up offending him and making him upset and afraid of me when he was already emotionally vulnerable for unrelated reasons. The details are in other posts, it wouldn't take you long to find them.

But from the way he reacted and blocked me (and I felt horrible after words even though I felt I had said the right thing), it got me worried.

I intend on writing a book one day--best case scenario it's the next Chronicles of Narnia with a sci-fi twist! Yeah, I know, overly ambitious. But I can dream, right? ;)

Basically, my fear is that my fame and me saying I'm a Christian will prompt someone to say, "So, what do you think of gay people?" as a Christian they will want to know--never mind that I'm probably not going to have any characters get into romances in my story, and my protagonist is an alien! The issue would just randomly be brought up, and I'm worried that I won't be able to issue a sufficient platitude. And I can't just lie about it--although I do wonder what would happen if I was caught lying about that.

I'd be worried that people would ignore my work(s) JUST for that and not even give me a chance. I don't want to cater to just some niche market. I hate how it seems like Hollywood would like to just put Christians in a box so that they can only entertain their fellow believers and not say anything to anyone else.

I know it's probably worldly of me to worry about losing fame like that, but what about on some smaller level? What if word got out in mixed (non-Christian) company that I thought homosexuality was sinful? They'd never let me clarify, that's for sure. They'd see themselves as justified in ostracizing me for being equivalent to a racist and a hypocrite.

So I certainly hope I don't end up like this fire chief guy.

Hi friend, we are to be as wise as serpents but as harmless as doves.

WHat you say is you follow Jesus(this full fills public confessing him) and you follow his teaching of loving everyone. If they ask you top explain if you think gays love or what that means. You say I believe everyone should be treated with Love and respect. You honor God and if they attack what you say the simple question, what part of love do you not like? No one will admit in public to objecting to Love.;)

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I tend to get a bit paranoid sometimes. I get a thought in my head and then I can't shake it. Usually some worrisome thing. I think it has to do with OCD. Anyway, one of my latest ones has been due to an incident where I ran into a "gay Christian" on another site and ending up offending him and making him upset and afraid of me when he was already emotionally vulnerable for unrelated reasons. The details are in other posts, it wouldn't take you long to find them.

But from the way he reacted and blocked me (and I felt horrible after words even though I felt I had said the right thing), it got me worried.

I intend on writing a book one day--best case scenario it's the next Chronicles of Narnia with a sci-fi twist! Yeah, I know, overly ambitious. But I can dream, right? ;)

Basically, my fear is that my fame and me saying I'm a Christian will prompt someone to say, "So, what do you think of gay people?" as a Christian they will want to know--never mind that I'm probably not going to have any characters get into romances in my story, and my protagonist is an alien! The issue would just randomly be brought up, and I'm worried that I won't be able to issue a sufficient platitude. And I can't just lie about it--although I do wonder what would happen if I was caught lying about that.

I'd be worried that people would ignore my work(s) JUST for that and not even give me a chance. I don't want to cater to just some niche market. I hate how it seems like Hollywood would like to just put Christians in a box so that they can only entertain their fellow believers and not say anything to anyone else.

I know it's probably worldly of me to worry about losing fame like that, but what about on some smaller level? What if word got out in mixed (non-Christian) company that I thought homosexuality was sinful? They'd never let me clarify, that's for sure. They'd see themselves as justified in ostracizing me for being equivalent to a racist and a hypocrite.

God will give you words if you stay close to him. see my other post that was strictly what God showed me to say.

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Isn't homosexuality a sin according to the bible though? I think that people get into trouble is when they start comparing homosexuality to other sins. It's fine if you say it is a sin, because then they it just gets into an argument of, "yes it is" and, "no it isn't", and, "no it isn't, times infinity!" Don't worry about losing fame or being hated by the world for just simply stating the truth, that according to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin. Christians are supposed to be hated by the world. If the world doesn't start to hate you after a while, it has to make you wonder if you are following Jesus correctly or not. But of course, if you are surrounded by Christians, it shouldn't be as severe... Anyways, it's not just saying that homosexuality is a sin, it's also saying other things are a sin according to the Bible that are common practice within your society, like shacking up. I know a lot of Christians don't agree, they think you don't need a marriage license, But I still think that if they haven't made their marriage vows before a preacher, they are living in sin. Anyways, everyone has their sins, but being proud of sin or saying it is ok is not the christian way. I'm rambling.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Protected from what?
We are talking about what action one can expect from one's employer.

Freedom of speech doesn't, cannot, protect you from other people's speech on similar terms.

From what I read he didn't.
He was suspended for a month and told he had to undergo sensitivity training.
And that was for distributing the book - effectively saying its contexts - in the context of his employment.

You can't go around at work telling the people who work for you that they are perverts. That's an abuse of power.

I don't know what you read but he was fired by the mayor, and why do you keep saying he wrote the book on company time no where does it says that. And no where it does it say he preached to his co works at the firehouse. He wrote a book to glorify God. God bless this man.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't know what you read but he was fired by the mayor,
That's not what other sources say
Piecing together different reports it appears he was:
Suspended for 30 days and told he would have to do sensitivity training and while investigation took place
Returned to work briefly after the 30 days
Was offered the chance to resign, refused, and was dismissed.
With no further details being made public.

Which looks to me like either
the investigation turned up more serious workplace irregularities than it looked at face value
Or
He refused to do the sensitivity training

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Isn't homosexuality a sin according to the bible though? I think that people get into trouble is when they start comparing homosexuality to other sins. It's fine if you say it is a sin, because then they it just gets into an argument of, "yes it is" and, "no it isn't", and, "no it isn't, times infinity!" Don't worry about losing fame or being hated by the world for just simply stating the truth, that according to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin. Christians are supposed to be hated by the world. If the world doesn't start to hate you after a while, it has to make you wonder if you are following Jesus correctly or not. But of course, if you are surrounded by Christians, it shouldn't be as severe... Anyways, it's not just saying that homosexuality is a sin, it's also saying other things are a sin according to the Bible that are common practice within your society, like shacking up. I know a lot of Christians don't agree, they think you don't need a marriage license, But I still think that if they haven't made their marriage vows before a preacher, they are living in sin. Anyways, everyone has their sins, but being proud of sin or saying it is ok is not the christian way. I'm rambling.

ANd this is where Christians are getting in trouble and why I tell them cover all the sin of sexual immorality, to which I am accused as being sympathetic to gays, well I guess i am but not just gays but to all who sin because I am a sinner. I am not gay nor have a been, but one year in the 80's in school a kid who had failed 2 grades spread a rumor I was gay, no girl would even speak to me. I stood up to him even though he was much bigger, I thought it was a misunderstanding, when it was clear the kid just did not like me. I called him gay, thinking back that was it and i did not even know it. He was bashing me because he was attracted to me and in the 80's last thing you wanted to be was gay, worse than that was gay with Aids. I only went to school 2 months out of the whole year and not straight but spread out couple days a week or so. The whole school hated me, my friends new i was not gay but they could not speak to me publicly for fear of being called gay to.

So I know what it is like and has been like for that group and i will defend them when they are being bullied, but not when they are doing the bulling.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's not what other sources say
Piecing together different reports it appears he was:
Suspended for 30 days and told he would have to do sensitivity training and while investigation took place
Returned to work briefly after the 30 days
Was offered the chance to resign, refused, and was dismissed.
With no further details being made public.

Which looks to me like either
the investigation turned up more serious workplace irregularities than it looked at face value
Or
He refused to do the sensitivity training

He doesn't need the training now does he. He has a right to write a Christian book based on His Christians views. Are gays going to have to under go church training because they offend Christians?(did you just laugh?) Its silly isn't it, just like his training classes are silly.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
He doesn't need the training now does he.
I'm guessing he probably does.

He has a right to write a Christian book based on His Christians views.
But not to associate that book with his position, nor to distribute that book to his staff.

Are gays going to have to under go church training because they offend Christians?
If they work for a church , yes.
If anyone is going around their workplace denigrating the people who work for them then they need some retraining.

(did you just laugh?)
Not at all.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not wrote it on company time. Gave out copies to employees.

I agree not a smart move and one brought on by the pride of writing a book, but so what they could have thrown it in the trash right, did they have to read the whole thing? I am not sure his co workers had a problem. I know a few firemen and we have a cop in our family it is a brotherhood those guys would work it out with themselves, could be wrong. To my understanding it was the LGBT that had a problem with it.

what happen to him, How is that any different then in the 80's firing someone for being gay?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing he probably does.

But not to associate that book with his position, nor to distribute that book to his staff.

If they work for a church , yes.
If anyone is going around their workplace denigrating the people who work for them then they need some retraining.

Not at all.

I don't know about where you are but hear it goes on all the time with gays. They sue churches if they say its a sin in church or refuse to marry them. They start there own churches and create there own bible. In this country you can start your own religion and i have no problem with it, that is there right, what I have a problem with is calling them self Christians when they have done such things.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I agree not a smart move and one brought on by the pride of writing a book, but so what they could have thrown it in the trash right, did they have to read the whole thing? I am not sure his co workers had a problem. I know a few firemen and we have a cop in our family it is a brotherhood those guys would work it out with themselves, could be wrong. To my understanding it was the LGBT that had a problem with it.

what happen to him, How is that any different then in the 80's firing someone for being gay?
He's not being fired for being anything.
He's being fired because he's a boss in a public context who said, in writing, denigrating things to a number of his employees and (speculation) refused the retraining.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He's not being fired for being anything.
He's being fired because he's a boss in a public context who said, in writing, denigrating things to a number of his employees and (speculation) refused the retraining.

wow you really can not see the hypocrisy of it all?. what i read said nothing about what you claim maybe i need to look deeper, let me do that.

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ANd this is where Christians are getting in trouble and why I tell them cover all the sin of sexual immorality, to which I am accused as being sympathetic to gays, well I guess i am but not just gays but to all who sin because I am a sinner. I am not gay nor have a been, but one year in the 80's in school a kid who had failed 2 grades spread a rumor I was gay, no girl would even speak to me. I stood up to him even though he was much bigger, I thought it was a misunderstanding, when it was clear the kid just did not like me. I called him gay, thinking back that was it and i did not even know it. He was bashing me because he was attracted to me and in the 80's last thing you wanted to be was gay, worse than that was gay with Aids. I only went to school 2 months out of the whole year and not straight but spread out couple days a week or so. The whole school hated me, my friends new i was not gay but they could not speak to me publicly for fear of being called gay to.

So I know what it is like and has been like for that group and i will defend them when they are being bullied, but not when they are doing the bulling.

Yeah being accused of being gay sucks. It's happened to me at least twice. Maybe it's because I had a few friends/acquaintances that were actually gay? I really don't know why, there was definitely no one that had a crush on me that was a lesbian. Well, there was a girl that I met for a week that told me she was a lesbian and just came up and kissed me on the neck one time, but I just laughed it off at the time. I know homosexuality is a sin, but it hits a funny bone in me. I know that thinking it's funny is not appropriate, but whenever I watch an anime with homosexual relationships I'm just amused.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't know about where you are but hear it goes on all the time with gays. They sue churches if they say its a sin in church or refuse to marry them. They start there own churches and create there own bible. In this country you can start your own religion and i have no problem with it, that is there right, what I have a problem with is calling them self Christians when they have done such things.
You're failing to distinguish between what someone does in their own time or as part of a lobby group and what they do within a generalised or secular workplace.

If someone in a position of power in a public workplace is harassing the people who work under them then they can expect to face consequences from their employer.

On the other hand a church is quite free to critique whomever they choose and lobby group to do likewise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
wow you really can not see the hypocrisy of it all?.
There's no hypocrisy at all.
A boss may not harrass the people who work for him.
Giving out copies of a book that says this kind of thing, written by him, seems to me to be just that.

As a team leader I have at times unintentionally offended people in my team. I've had to have the appropriate conversation with my supervising managers and fix the problem. if I hadn't taken the agreed measures to fix the problem things would have gone a stage futher. That's right and proper.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There's no hypocrisy at all.
A boss may not harrass the people who work for him.
Giving out copies of a book that says this kind of thing, written by him, seems to me to be just that.

As a team leader I have at times unintentionally offended people in my team. I've had to have the appropriate conversation with my supervising managers and fix the problem. if I hadn't taken the agreed measures to fix the problem things would have gone a stage futher. That's right and proper.

ok I looked into it from a creditable News source which would be accepted at my college I will post the link. He did not pass it out to everyone, he past it out to people that were his friends. He was not fired for not doing the training, but because a open gay reconcile member got a copy of the book and then pushed for him to be fired. Further more he obtained permission from the mayor to write the book and include his public positions. And on top of that I read what he wrote he did not single out gays but addressed all sex immorality. This is what he said.

“Uncleanness – whatever is opposite of purity; including sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, inappropriate behavior with animals, all other forms of sexual perversion.”

“Naked men refuse to give in, so they pursue sexual fulfillment through multiple partners, with the opposite sex, the same sex, and sex outside of marriage and many other vile, vulgar and inappropriate ways which defile their body – temple and dishonor God.”

Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith | Fox News

You should defend your fellow Christian, though I do admit it was not his smartest move but was his right. pick a side.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
ok I looked into it from a creditable News source which would be accepted at my college I will post the link. He did not pass it out to everyone, he past it out to people that were his friends. He was not fired for not doing the training, but because a open gay reconcile member got a copy of the book and then pushed for him to be fired. Further more he obtained permission from the mayor to write the book and include his public positions. And on top of that I read what he wrote he did not single out gays but addressed all sex immorality. This is what he said.

“Uncleanness – whatever is opposite of purity; including sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, inappropriate behavior with animals, all other forms of sexual perversion.”

“Naked men refuse to give in, so they pursue sexual fulfillment through multiple partners, with the opposite sex, the same sex, and sex outside of marriage and many other vile, vulgar and inappropriate ways which defile their body – temple and dishonor God.”

Atlanta Fire Chief: I was fired because of my Christian faith | Fox News

You should defend your fellow Christian, though I do admit it was not his smartest move but was his right. pick a side.
Since I'm not in a position to tell who is telling the truth on the details I can only speak to the issues, not "pick a side".

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah being accused of being gay sucks. It's happened to me at least twice. Maybe it's because I had a few friends/acquaintances that were actually gay? I really don't know why, there was definitely no one that had a crush on me that was a lesbian. Well, there was a girl that I met for a week that told me she was a lesbian and just came up and kissed me on the neck one time, but I just laughed it off at the time. I know homosexuality is a sin, but it hits a funny bone in me. I know that thinking it's funny is not appropriate, but whenever I watch an anime with homosexual relationships I'm just amused.

I had a gay guy make advances on me, he was a very powerful man in hollywood, not famous though. I spoke with him because i had never know a gay man. He help figure out I was not gay. I had been molested as a kid by a male baby sitter. It screws you up. I always wondered if I was gay because my first sexual experience was with a guy. It was the gay man in hollywood and my teacher which showed me I am not gay and help me work through the molestation. I am very secure with my sexuality now. But as a kid I would pray for God not to let me become gay. Then I realize I love women to much its my problem, and i am in no way attracted to guys.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Since I'm not in a position to tell who is telling the truth on the details I can only speak to the issues, not "pick a side".

If your a Christian should you not take your Christians brothers word first? Like I said the source i quoted I would use if I was writing a paper.

Upvote 0