Anti-Gay or Pro-Christian?

Anti-Gay bigotry or anti-Christian intolerance?

• Anti-Gay

• Anti-Christian

Results are only viewable after voting.

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
About one week ago, Kelvin Cochran was fired as Fire Chief in Atlanta Georgia, over his book "Who Told You, You Were Naked". In this nearly 200 page (iirc) book, Mr. Cochran makes a passing reference to homosexual sex being a sin, just like out of wedlock heterosexual sex. The backlash was immediate and visceral.
In November of 2013, Kelvin Cochran, a former Obama administration official turned chief of the fire department in Atlanta, Georgia, published a book titled "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" The book expounded on the fire chief's faith and encouraged people to turn their lives over to Christ. In the book, Cochran said his chief end was "to glorify God." He said that was his first duty even in his job at the fire department. A reflection of the Westminster Catechism, it is also a summation of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "Street Sweeper" speech. In that speech, Dr. King said that men needed to worship God and turn their lives over to God. Dr. King began, "go on out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures; sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music; sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry; sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, 'Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well.'" Kelvin Cochran, in his book, also said that any sex outside of heterosexual marriage is wrong. He said gay sex, like heterosexual sex outside of marriage, is a sin. For saying his job was to glorify God and gay sex is a sin, gay rights activists screamed loudly that he could not do his job. They accused Cochran, with no evidence, of proselytizing on the job. The offended group of activists had to destroy Kelvin Cochran's livelihood because his published work offended them. Mayor Reed of Atlanta complied.
http://www.redstate.com/2015/01/09/destruction-because-of-offense-je-suis-kelvin-cochran/

Apparently this is so unacceptable, the GAVoice, and Atlanta pro-gay website, has generated numerous stories, all seemingly skewed to make Mr. Cochran out to be the "boogeyman of the homosexual movement, a super bigot who seems to enjoy his hate of gays!"

Anti-gay Baptists back suspended Atlanta fire chief
Ralph Reed urging supporters to target Kasim Reed after suspending anti-gay fire chief
Anti-gay Atlanta fire chief back on job, becomes face of Georgia’s ‘religious freedom’ fight
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed ousts anti-gay fire chief
http://thegavoice.com/tag/kelvin-cochran/

So what say you? Is this anti-gay hatred, or anti-Christian intolerance?

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I did not vote because I did not like the choices, you probably don't care any way. but i''ll give two cents.

I don't think it is anti gay or Christian. I think he mention it(going by what you said) so what. Is it our jobs to convict people or The Holy Spirit? I don't think we need to bang a drum about sin. I know it makes people feel goo to look at others and not them selves. It does see like discrimination when people only address gays and not inappropriate content, and sex before marriage and adultery. Why does it seem that way because that is what it is. People can not pick one sin top beat people over the head with. They must address all of sexual immorality. Christian need to be blameless, that is how people are won to God, it is something only God can work in us, but we can make an effort. Should gays be tolerated? Paul tolerated them, but not in the church. It is dangerous doctrine they are preaching. That needs to be a dressed about all else. those false teacher preaching it is ok. Those who marry gays and partake in their sin by doing such a thing. That is by far the greater issue because that is in our church which we are to address, we do not address the world but the church.

If it wasn't for people going out side of God and trying to regulate the world we would be able to speak of the sin of gays in church. But what a few do in God's name all the true children of God suffer for, and so those who did it will answer for the suffering of all God's children.

I think false teachers need to be addressed over the gay issue. I had a gay man claim to be a child of God and tell me in Romans 1 Paul was speaking of ritual sex, that that was not aloud, but gay men were perfectly fine just not done to worship a God. I got to tell you I could feel the power behind this teaching, had I not have God living in me I would have believed the man. That is the real threat.

Just my two cents.
blu

Upvote 0

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The mistake we often make is trying to correct sin in people's lives before they know God. No wonder people think they need to be perfect before setting foot in a church.

I realize what sin is, but it's my job to make disciples, not to crusade against one particular form of sin.

Reactions: MoreCoffee
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The mistake we often make is trying to correct sin in people's lives before they know God. No wonder people think they need to be perfect before setting foot in a church.

I realize what sin is, but it's my job to make disciples, not to crusade against one particular form of sin.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican

Excellent :)

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not vote because I did not like the choices, you probably don't care any way. but i''ll give two cents.

I don't think it is anti gay or Christian. I think he mention it(going by what you said) so what. Is it our jobs to convict people or The Holy Spirit? I don't think we need to bang a drum about sin. I know it makes people feel goo to look at others and not them selves. It does see like discrimination when people only address gays and not inappropriate content, and sex before marriage and adultery. Why does it seem that way because that is what it is. People can not pick one sin top beat people over the head with. They must address all of sexual immorality. Christian need to be blameless, that is how people are won to God, it is something only God can work in us, but we can make an effort. Should gays be tolerated? Paul tolerated them, but not in the church. It is dangerous doctrine they are preaching. That needs to be a dressed about all else. those false teacher preaching it is ok. Those who marry gays and partake in their sin by doing such a thing. That is by far the greater issue because that is in our church which we are to address, we do not address the world but the church.

If it wasn't for people going out side of God and trying to regulate the world we would be able to speak of the sin of gays in church. But what a few do in God's name all the true children of God suffer for, and so those who did it will answer for the suffering of all God's children.

I think false teachers need to be addressed over the gay issue. I had a gay man claim to be a child of God and tell me in Romans 1 Paul was speaking of ritual sex, that that was not aloud, but gay men were perfectly fine just not done to worship a God. I got to tell you I could feel the power behind this teaching, had I not have God living in me I would have believed the man. That is the real threat.

Just my two cents.
blu

You missed the point. The book is to Christians. Not to the rest of the world. Your post (while I understand and agree with parts of it) is off topic.

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I understand and agree, but this is a bit off topic. Mr. Cochran wrote his book to Christians.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You missed the point. The book is to Christians. Not to the rest of the world. Your post (while I understand and agree with parts of it) is off topic.

I am sorry you did not feel it on topic but I did address why we can not even speak of among us any more and it is hard to even in church. It doesn't matter who the book was to. The issues is Christians are seen as discriminating against gays which I also addressed. while i see parts could be off topic i think the whole was on. any way i got nothing else to say i don't think so. Good day.

blu

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be fair, a book is available to anyone. What form of disagreement, might I ask, would be on topic, if this reason for disagreeing (partially) is not what you wish to discuss?

I'm discussing what I posted. Mr. Cochran wrote a book to Christians on how they should live. A tiny portion mentions gay marriage/sex in passing. As a result, he was fired because a major push by the LGBTQ community. Is this anti-gay hatred or anti-Christian intolerance? I guess if it comes up what you mentioned is ok, but I don't want to wander away from my op in the first dozen posts. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Metal Minister

May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am sorry you did not feel it on topic but I did address why we can not even speak of among us any more and it is hard to even in church. It doesn't matter who the book was to. The issues is Christians are seen as discriminating against gays which I also addressed. while i see parts could be off topic i think the whole was on. any way i got nothing else to say i don't think so. Good day.

blu

Like I said, I agree, I just wanted to keep things in one direction for at least a little while before we started beating down the weeds, so to speak.

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
funny thing about beating weeds is you kill the wheat too. :)

I don't think you understood me. I was just using a figure of speech to say I didn't want to get away from the point of the thread before we went into the side topics.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know anything about the book so it's difficult to say how Christian a book is for even Christians. But I guess Joel Osteen is considered Christian because he holds a bible up each week for 10 seconds.

One should realize their life is on the line when they speak out, even in passing in a Christian book. The gay issue is valued within society far more than the Christian viewpoint, which is considered a very hateful and bigoted when it speaks as authoritative over democratic freedom of choice. "What is Truth" is major democratic societal siege point and most Christians think this battle is not worth fighting or have fallen asleep thinking it was theirs, but they're wrong. It's been taken over and even some Christians have become blinded and defend this siege point for the other team.

He was a "major" figurehead and the lobbyist group for GLBT, which is powerful, doesn't have to do much anymore to get someone fired. City's don't want to be viewed as valuing Christian values over democratic values.

Sorry if I'm not on point

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I understand and agree, but this is a bit off topic. Mr. Cochran wrote his book to Christians.

Obviously if the book is published and available for purchase in book stores then it is written for anybody willing to pay for it as well as anybody willing to borrow if from a library. I do not see how "Mr. Cochran wrote his book to Christians" if it is available for anybody to buy.

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously if the book is published and available for purchase in book stores then it is written for anybody willing to pay for it as well as anybody willing to borrow if from a library. I do not see how "Mr. Cochran wrote his book to Christians" if it is available for anybody to buy.

If you write an open letter but address it to a specific person, is it not still addressed to that person?

Upvote 0