✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
FT5S-Celtic-Cross-Burial-Memorial-Getty.jpg

"The US Anti-Defamation League has named the Celtic Cross as one of the racist symbols used around the world to promote hate in their online Hate Symbols Database.

The ADL believes that white supremacist versions of the Celtic Cross, otherwise known as Odin’s Cross, Sun Cross, or Wheel Cross, have become some of the most important and widely used symbols of white supremacists. The cross consists of a square cross interlocking with or surrounded by a circle."

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Anti-Defamation-League-names-Celtic-Cross-as-racist-symbol.html

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like another attack on traditional Catholic/Christian symbols by associating them with fringe hate groups.

How long until the normal cross is labeled a "hate symbol"?

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
White supremacists also use clovers and all matters of Celtic symbolism. Why not just deem 'Celtic' synonymous to 'racist' :scratch:

Maybe they'll come out with a clover specific weed killer?

ADL should just be exterminated. They are the perpetuators of exactly what they claim to want to get rid of.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟143,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The ADL often go out of their way to find offence.

Wear your Celtic Cross with pride...
My Bible has a Celtic Cross on it. I love it. I also love and fly my Confederate Flag with pride, as that is also under attack by people wishing to be offended.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
to play devils advocate
when I visited Italy back in 2004, I saw some graffiti around Rome
I did not think of it as a "Celtic cross"
to me it looked more like the crosshairs
you know, like the scope on a rifle?

I asked a local what it meant, he said it was a Nazi symbol

since the swastika is illegal in many European countries, they use another solar cross to replace it

so I guess like all things, context is important

Upvote 0

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Sounds like another attack on traditional Catholic/Christian symbols by associating them with fringe hate groups.

How long until the normal cross is labeled a "hate symbol"?

it goes further than that. anything considered bad gets scorned nowadays because someone gets frazzled very easily. that's why people claim they get triggered, a few colleges and universities give these break rooms for students when they get upset over a subject matter that is being taught, and anything that is upsetting overall should be outright banned. I wish this was hyperbole but this is the new sentiment springing up among people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blank Stair

1 Peter 3:16
Aug 19, 2015
✟18,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It was a matter of time after the Confederate flag concession.
Next will be the Christian cross , then the crucifix. Then the American flag. The floodgates are wide open now. You have the lawful right not to be offended by anything at all in America now.

Can anyone bring charges against this anti-Christian anti-defamation league? Or is it just a given their motives are clear in those areas?

FT5S-Celtic-Cross-Burial-Memorial-Getty.jpg

"The US Anti-Defamation League has named the Celtic Cross as one of the racist symbols used around the world to promote hate in their online Hate Symbols Database.

The ADL believes that white supremacist versions of the Celtic Cross, otherwise known as Odin’s Cross, Sun Cross, or Wheel Cross, have become some of the most important and widely used symbols of white supremacists. The cross consists of a square cross interlocking with or surrounded by a circle."

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Anti-Defamation-League-names-Celtic-Cross-as-racist-symbol.html

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Isn't the problem that racists are associating their racism with their Celtic-ness via the Celtic cross, not that ADL is seeing that racists are doing so? I mean, there are legitimate uses of the Celtic cross (e.g., to decorate a bible, as another person pointed out, or to wear as a tattoo if you are an Irish Catholic or what have you), and there are illegitimate uses (e.g., to signify your racist views to other racists). The cross itself does not become racist just because racists use it, yet there are racist uses of the cross. This is really no different than how the KKK burn crosses to intimidate people and such. The cross itself remains the ultimate tool and symbol of Christ's victory over death, but some people see it wrongly and associate it with other things. I highly doubt that the ADL, being a Jewish organization, sincerely cares about its correct use and symbolism, but that's where Christians should be coming in and saying "No! This racist use of the cross will not be allowed to overshadow its true meaning!"

There are still some countries in the world, believe it or not, where the cross still retains only its religious meaning (e.g., Egypt, Lebanon), so you don't find other people taking it in this way. But in Western countries, we have for some stupid reason allowed racists and hip hoppers and all kinds of other people take our most precious sign and use it for whatever reason they feel like. Fashion, racism, whatever. It ought not be this way, and I can think of no better group to condemn than any neo-Nazi types who use the Celtic cross, or any other type of the cross, to signify their hateful ideologies. Even the fact that anyone with a pre-existing religious attachment to the Celtic Cross should have to explain that no, they are not racist by having one, shows that we have allowed racists to associate it with their racism for too long. No one should look at a cross and think "racism", but because racists have used it unabated for decades, this is the situation we are in in the Western world. It's sick, really. Our societies are spiritually sick.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0