Anti-Catholicism.

RaylightI

Jun 29, 2014
✟3,622.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Even though I'm not able to become a member of the Roman Catholic Church because of reasons out of my control, I still have a great love and respect for the Church. Therefore, whenever the Church is mentioned badly for no just reason, I try and defend this great Church.

Anti-Catholicism seems very clear to me, especially now I'm in the university. There is this hostility toward the Church. Sometimes you can feel it in the air whenever it is mentioned. And with the priest that "came out of the closet" last week being fired, the memes and the ridiculous reaction people had are scary. It was scary how people ignored the fact that the priest was in relationship (which is forbidden in the Church, whether gay or straight) which is why he was fried, and decided to accuse the Church of all kinda of lies.

What about you? Have you ever faced some anti-Catholicism at a university or other places? What would you advice me to do next time such nonsense occurs?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Even though I'm not able to become a member of the Roman Catholic Church because of reasons out of my control,
You're joining the Catholic Church against your will?

What about you? Have you ever faced some anti-Catholicism at a university or other places? What would you advice me to do next time such nonsense occurs?
I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not into arguments for arguments sake. Back when I was young and full of beans, I'd argue with anybody who didn't started something with me.

But the older I get, the more I just want peace. If someone has honest questions from a sincere heart, I'll be happy to talk to them about Catholicism. But this beautiful religion that's totally changed my life is something pure and edifying for me. It's not a battering ram to be used when some evangelical wackjob goes on some self-righteous crusade.

My recommendation (for whatever you think it's worth) is to not engage people with an obvious ax to grind with the Catholic Church. Don't fight fire with fire, don't cast your pearls before swine and don't try winning arguments. Pray for their conversion but having some meaningless battle on Facebook with some fundie Protestant will probably only result in you getting angry over things you can't control. Why waste the energy, right?

Reactions: Andres88
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Even though I'm not able to become a member of the Roman Catholic Church because of reasons out of my control, I still have a great love and respect for the Church. Therefore, whenever the Church is mentioned badly for no just reason, I try and defend this great Church.

Anti-Catholicism seems very clear to me, especially now I'm in the university. There is this hostility toward the Church. Sometimes you can feel it in the air whenever it is mentioned. And with the priest that "came out of the closet" last week being fired, the memes and the ridiculous reaction people had are scary. It was scary how people ignored the fact that the priest was in relationship (which is forbidden in the Church, whether gay or straight) which is why he was fried, and decided to accuse the Church of all kinda of lies.

unfortunately, we face anti-Catholicism here all the time.
there are a few faithful who will stand up for the church, and have done so at a great cost.

If you are at University I would beat feet to mass as often as possible, and find fellow Catholics to hang out with on campus.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Both very refreshing, thank you :)

Anti-Catholicism seems very clear to me, especially now I'm in the university.
Yes it's all the rage, and almost always with a load of self-righteous "oh you think your'e so hot" sewage behind it :rolleyes: Very tedious. Gotta love being accused of elitism while being attacked in that way. No hypocrisy there eh?

I also agree with the 2 posts above. On the one hand, it's great to defend RCC, but (esp on the internet) there are a lot of people who attack RCC out of ignorance, hatred, or it's not even about their religious beliefs and they're simply desperate for attention, so live to kick up dust/play childish trollish games/ad nauseam, and this is but one of many places to do it (religion being such an easy target now days). Rarely worth paying any attention to.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
But the older I get, the more I just want peace. If someone has honest questions from a sincere heart, I'll be happy to talk to them about Catholicism. But this beautiful religion that's totally changed my life is something pure and edifying for me. It's not a battering ram to be used when some evangelical wackjob goes on some self-righteous crusade.

My recommendation (for whatever you think it's worth) is to not engage people with an obvious ax to grind with the Catholic Church. Don't fight fire with fire, don't cast your pearls before swine and don't try winning arguments. Pray for their conversion but having some meaningless battle on Facebook with some fundie Protestant will probably only result in you getting angry over things you can't control. Why waste the energy, right?
I've found this as well. As a convert, my first months were too focused in debates and discussions with my Protestant friends, that never came to an agreement or to any change of positions. I stopped "chasing after the wind" and started to focus more in my relationship with God and with my fellow Catholic brothers and sisters. I could hang out normally at times with my Protestant friends, but not during those first months, were everything was an attack on the Catholic Church.

In the end, it's not about how much we fight for and defend the Church, but how we present Her as the beautiful bride of Christ with our words, deeds, and attitudes. And that, of course, reminds me of that old saying: "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Anti-Catholocism was much, much worse 50 and 75 years ago.

Campuses are often anti-Christian and anti-Catholic. However, there are almost always Catholic groups on campus. If not, you are at the wrong place.

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I find most of the "anti-Catholicism" out there is due to a lack of understanding. I used to be quite anti-Catholic myself when I was a nondenominational protestant, I thought it was some kind of satanic counterfeit or something. This is a common perception among some of the more fundamentalist protestants out there, and it is due to ignorance. Ignorance of history, ignorance of the meaning of sacraments, and above all ignorance of what the Church actually teaches.

If someone is genuinely interested in learning about what the Church teaches, do explain it to them. It really depends on how open a person is to information. Not much point debating someone who is unwilling to approach the subject with an open mind.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I find most of the "anti-Catholicism" out there is due to a lack of understanding. I used to be quite anti-Catholic myself when I was a nondenominational protestant, I thought it was some kind of satanic counterfeit or something. This is a common perception among some of the more fundamentalist protestants out there, and it is due to ignorance. Ignorance of history, ignorance of the meaning of sacraments, and above all ignorance of what the Church actually teaches.

If someone is genuinely interested in learning about what the Church teaches, do explain it to them. It really depends on how open a person is to information. Not much point debating someone who is unwilling to approach the subject with an open mind.

fortunately it is usually very easy to tell the difference in here. and for the rest, there are other places on CF that we can direct them to.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

RaylightI

Jun 29, 2014
✟3,622.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Very useful replies I have here and I thank you all. But I need to say something; Anti-Catholicism that I witnessed at the campus was mostly from non-religious people (Atheists, Agnostics...etc) There is some level of anger toward the Church due to its teachings on women ordination and LGBT issues. And as a gay person myself, I find such attitude toward the Church unjust and close-minded. It ignores the fact that the Church is not some political or social institution that can change its teachings based on votes. Maybe they mixed the way things work and assumed that the Catholic Church can change its teachings like some Protestant churches based on the majority's vote.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

João Mourinho

Oct 12, 2015
✟7,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I disagree. I think it's just less overt. And typically exercised by the people touting "tolerance" :rolleyes:

Indeed. Disguised under the cover of something that often includes the words "tolerance", "rights", "freedom", "choice" lie the most violent attacks on Catholic Church. Most of them made by a network of Freemasons, LGBT lobbies, Marxists, with allegiance of Media Groups.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

This is true, but generally I have found that most of the people who are ignorant are not interested in eliminating their ignorance. I have frequently dealt with people in academia who will say all sorts of crazy things about the Church which have no basis in fact. When I correct them they usually will say that they made a mistake, because they know me personally and know that I am better informed on the issue than they are, but they will say this in an annoyed way and often say that it doesn't detract from their main point.

For example, I once was at a conference bar discussing matters with a colleague who said that he couldn't understand why anyone was Christian when Christians are not allowed to use reason or science or philosophy. I of course said that was absurd and listed off many Christian philosophers and scientists, like Aquinas, Augustine, Mendel and Lemaitre. He then said that there may be a few Christians who used their reason, but they were exceptions that were not respected by other Christians and probably did not take Christianity seriously anyway. I then noted that that too was a completely inaccurate statement but at this point he said that he didn't want to argue about it further and he'd just agree to let me go on thinking things which were against reason as long as it didn't interfere with my work.

Similarly at another conference I was walking with some colleagues and we passed a Cathedral. One of the people with me said "I can understand why Catholics might get worked up about abortion even if they are wrong, but you'd have to be insane to oppose contraception." When I said that there were reasons to oppose contraception beyond Church teaching I was dismissed with another statement along the lines of "I respect your opinion but I don't want to hear about it because I know that no one could oppose contraception for any good reason."

In both cases the people I have talked to have respected me beforehand, so they did not attack me personally, but they also made it clear that they did not want to be corrected on their mistakes. If people do not respect you, they generally won't even engage you to that degree, but rather will dismiss you as a loon or a bigot.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My mother has always been anti-Catholic. She spouts all kinds of nonsense about it (often unsolicited- and the recent visit by the Pope gave her a lot of fodder). Her church (Southern Baptist) even had a series about groups they disagreed with and spent a good deal of time ranting against the Catholics. It doesn't help that all of my aunts and uncles are Catholic, as they believe some weird stuff that isn't condoned in Catholicism, and that just reinforces my mother's beliefs that Catholics are a certain way (for example- my aunt is convinced her dead father is now her guardian angel).

For the last ten years, she starts off on Catholicism and then tries to use that as a board for her 'sneak' attacks against Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy is still making me hell bound, but at least we're 'not as bad as the Catholics'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Page

White Lives Matter! ALL Lives Matter!
Sep 22, 2015
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even though I'm not able to become a member of the Roman Catholic Church because of reasons out of my control,
Curious and ask you to indulge my curiosity. What reasons would be beyond your control? Are you a priest in your own church perhaps?

Priest scandal aside, how do you combat blatant rude behavior at a higher education campus especially?
Do you reason with the unreasonable? It's like asking a KKK member to put away the Kerosene can as they approach that wooden cross.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
For example, I once was at a conference bar discussing matters with a colleague who said that he couldn't understand why anyone was Christian when Christians are not allowed to use reason or science or philosophy. I of course said that was absurd and listed off many Christian philosophers and scientists, like Aquinas, Augustine, Mendel and Lemaitre. He then said that there may be a few Christians who used their reason, but they were exceptions that were not respected by other Christians and probably did not take Christianity seriously anyway. I then noted that that too was a completely inaccurate statement but at this point he said that he didn't want to argue about it further and he'd just agree to let me go on thinking things which were against reason as long as it didn't interfere with my work.
lol :rolleyes:

Let me guess: college professor?

In both cases the people I have talked to have respected me beforehand, so they did not attack me personally, but they also made it clear that they did not want to be corrected on their mistakes. If people do not respect you, they generally won't even engage you to that degree, but rather will dismiss you as a loon or a bigot.
Welcome to the 21st century.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Let me guess: college professor?

Yep. Though I believe at the time he was in a research-only position so at least he wasn't passing these views along to any students. I don't know where he is now; the incident happened about five years ago and I have since lost contact with him.

Thinking about this again does remind me of one part of the story that I left out: why he was talking about Christianity in the first place. It came up when he complained about a recent conference at Notre Dame where one of his friends told several blasphemous jokes about Jesus, and some of the people there objected. He said that this showed a ridiculous lack of tolerance (referring to people objecting to the jokes, not to telling them) and then started ranting about Christianity generally.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Again hardly surprising. I shudder when I hear about/talk to students at so-called institutes of higher learning now. Extreme arrogance, narrow-mindedness, and esp a nasty disposition towards Christianity is all the rage. In fact, it's not exactly a secret FYI - and people across all political/religious spectrums have spoken out about this problem. Frankly I pity college kids today.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

All - the - time - and - so - on!

Im currently being ridiculed by someone - behind my back who is creating issues i have with an old friend of mine.

Upvote 0