Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it cool (rather, is it licit) for a preist to walk out during Mass? Like after the homily, just take off, slip through the back door?

There was another preist presiding but the pastor gave the homily and then took off-- is that cool?

Hmmm, I have never seen that before but don't see why it would be a major biggie. I have had to leave Church for emergencies before and have seen a priest have to stop Mass right in the middle before. I'd only hope it was for a good reason. Just think, it could have been to go visit a shut in or sick person circling the drain. If it was a regular thing or I saw him done eating at the resturaunt after Mass then I would wonder more and it would probably bug me then until I asked someone what the deal was because it would seem rude then.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No it is not cool.

The priest should be with the processional. And so what if he has Mass somewhere else ? He can't spare five minutes to complete his duties ?

I have seen a priest unflinchingly complete a mass in which two of our parishoners were shot and on another occaission, during a daily mass, he did not miss a beat when the alterboy had an epileptic seizure.

This was a Jesuit, perhaps the priest that walked out was just a run of the mill parish priest.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It does seem rather casual. :(

OK he was not the presider [ I hate the term but then .... ] so presumably he had intended to Concelebrate .

If he had only intended to preach the homily [ for a very good reason !] he could have come on the Altar just for that. That practice I have seen in the past where it's been something really really important that had to be said /read at every Mass that weekend so was done by the same person even though it meant he only Celebrated 1 Mass he gave the homily at all of them.

Anyone care to check it out with GIRM or whatever they are called ?

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've been looking and it does not address leaving before the Mass is over, particularly.

The pastor of the parish was not the celebrant or the cocelebrant and according to the norms, that's okay. he worn the appropriate vetements for not being a celebrant, a cassock with the, what ever you call it, around the neck.

He didn't do the opening prayer but read the gospel and gave the homily. His point in being there was to make an appeal for the parish ministry as a pastor.

After he gave the homily, the lector comes up to do the prayer intentions and he slips out.

What i found odd was before the Mass began, the other preist who was celebrating made announcement that we are not to leave Mass until the closing hymn.

I personally disagree with leaving the Mass becuase that's what Judas did... but i was wondering if the preist who already celebrated Mass for the day should at least stay until it's over even if he's not the celebrant.

I mean have you ever seen a alter boy or a deacon just slip out?

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
believe that is termed 'choir dress' :) though under these circumstances I would have expected him to wear a surplice and the Stole for Reading the Gospel.

That does seem to follow the practice that I described

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
believe that is termed 'choir dress' :) though under these circumstances I would have expected him to wear a surplice and the Stole for Reading the Gospel.

That does seem to follow the practice that I described
He did have the stole. He looked more like a deacon up there and actully acted like a deacon but... I never seen a deacon walk off mid Mass. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But I dunno--

Regarding the other question: The Mass is a single action comprehending the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist. The priest's presence is required throughout the sacred rite in order to maintain its intrinsic unity. It is through his ministry that the faithful are constituted as a liturgical assembly in communion with the bishop and the universal Church.

Likewise, although the priest presides over the assembly, he is also a member of the assembly and must participate in the entire celebration.
Starting Mass Without a Priest - EWTN Document Library

is it that he was not officially cocelebrating, that gives him a pass to slip out, just walk off the alter mid Mass?

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I suspect that that is exactly it :)

There was another priest there - [correctly vested I suppose in Alb , stole and Chasuble ] who started the Mass and also was the Priest who completed the Introductory Rites and then went on to Celebrate the Liturgy of the Eucharist - HE is the one who may not leave .

I'm sure that what you observed is not common - but it can and does happen.

Were you ever present when, at the time for the Administration of Communion the other Priests living in the Parish House would come out from the Sacristy , vested in Albs and Stoles , administer Communion to the Faithful [ no EHMCs in those days ] and then at the end of Communion leave the Altar and head back to the Sacristy and then the house ?

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It happened now and again in Antwerp where a retired priest and university professor was asked to come and give the homily in several parishes and several masses near by. He would basically come and do the homily, then had to slip out discretely after that to go to the next mass. This of course was never the celebrant priest.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I suspect that that is exactly it :)

There was another priest there - [correctly vested I suppose in Alb , stole and Chasuble ] who started the Mass and also was the Priest who completed the Introductory Rites and then went on to Celebrate the Liturgy of the Eucharist - HE is the one who may not leave .

I'm sure that what you observed is not common - but it can and does happen.

He was wearing a Alb and not a cassock, i miss spoke.

Were you ever present when, at the time for the Administration of Communion the other Priests living in the Parish House would come out from the Sacristy , vested in Albs and Stoles , administer Communion to the Faithful [ no EHMCs in those days ] and then at the end of Communion leave the Altar and head back to the Sacristy and then the house ?

Yes, the Church i go to, the pastor does that all the time.

But this preist didn't even stay for Communion he just took off after the homily.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It can happen if and only if there is an emminent death and a need for immediate confession.
SINCE we are so short handed for priests - it is possible it was his necessary call.

Used to be 3-5 priests were available while 1 did Mass.

Could be why he had to leave. Otherwise, the priest presiding and the one helping - should stay for the complete Mass.
But only due to dire circumstances are they allowed to leave.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have lived in parishes where Masses have been said on the half hour in the Church and parish hall....

That would be one reason.

I have lived in parishes where one priest pastors two small parishes. That's another problem.

I think the average priest has plenty to do on Sunday mornings...

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Guys, I don't see the problem, and I don't see the need to second-guess an ordained priest who studied liturgy for years.

This priest was not there as a celebrant, or even a co-celebrant, if he was only wearing the stole; so the canon law you quote, Bene, does not apply. He was just a secondary participant, there for a specific purpose.

Of course he would not normally walk out. But if he had a good reason, there is nothing liturgically or morally wrong with it. You cannot compare him to the people in the pews, who are there - perhaps just that one time the whole week - expressly for that liturgy. This priest would of course have celebrated Mass that day already - he is not "walking out" of something that he is SUPPOSED to attend.

Can't you just give him the benefit of the doubt, that he did have a good reason to leave, instead of sitting in judgement on him?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.