Another International Men's Day event (York University) blocked by feminists.

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
But they're like, totally for equality u guise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...p-men-talk-if-we-wont-talk-about-mens-issues/

And so once again we see the double bind that suicidal men and those who advocate their need for support are constantly placed in. On the one hand we are told that the answer to the public health emergency of male suicide is to get men talking about their issues. On the other hand we are told that we can’t talk about men’s issues because women's issues are more important.

The tragedy of this situation is that by campaigning against men’s issues, women’s rights advocates at the University of York have made it harder for suicidal men to reach out and get the help they need.

Transcript of original statement by York Uni on IMD:
https://www.reddit.com/r/path%3D%252Fr%252Funitedkingdom%252Fcomments%252F3t1l7p%252Funiversity_of_york_cancels_international_mens_day%252Fcx2ah47
Whinging nonsensical open letter in response:
https://yorkopenletter.wordpress.com/

How insecure does this movement have to be that it feels the need to block events like this one for discussing men's issues? (yes, yes, NAFALT. But funny how it's mostly the allegedly equality-seeking feminists blocking these events, all the while telling men they should speak up about their issues).

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
University should be about free speech and free exploration of ideas. I don't see how blocking different ideas at university can be right, or perhaps even allowed.

Things like this make mean favour equalism (or whatever word you want to use) over feminism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
University should be about free speech and free exploration of ideas. I don't see how blocking different ideas at university can be right, or perhaps even allowed.

Things like this make mean favour equalism (or whatever word you want to use) over feminism.

Cheers, Paradoxum - hopefully you can understand some of my ongoing frustration re this movement. And it is the same crap every year.

Things may be changing this year - despite a feminist MP mocking the suggestion for an International Men's Day debate in Parliament, one will be going ahead tomorrow. There is currently an excellent ongoing campaign run by CALM (men's mental health charity) called Bigger Issues to get people talking about male mental health.

Again, there are some OK feminists who are acknowledging this - a feminist society at another York college (St John's?) *is* doing something for IMD and using it to bring people together. But I have to say IME it is almost always feminists blocking men's events like this - be they IMD or otherwise.

As the DT article points out, feminists place men's activists in a constant catch-22 - telling men to talk about their issues but then always shutting them down when they do because it doesn't matter how they're addressed, it's never good enough to the feminists that have appointed themselves arbiters of which activism may or may not persist. Not that anyone asked them to fulfil that role.

And it's bloody maddening. I shouldn't have to fight an alleged gender equality movement for gender equality. Something is very wrong here.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Cheers, Paradoxum - hopefully you can understand some of my ongoing frustration re this movement. And it is the same crap every year.

I've got for a while that there are bad parts to feminism. I generally disagree with the authoritarian and oppressive elements of it that want to ban inappropriate contentography, prostitution, etc. But I'm not anti-feminist because I don't assume all are that way.

Things may be changing this year - despite a feminist MP mocking the suggestion for an International Men's Day debate in Parliament, one will be going ahead tomorrow. There is currently an excellent ongoing campaign run by CALM (men's mental health charity) called Bigger Issues to get people talking about male mental health.

I don't get why you need a men's or women's day.

Again, there are some OK feminists who are acknowledging this - a feminist society at another York college (St John's?) *is* doing something for IMD and using it to bring people together. But I have to say IME it is almost always feminists blocking men's events like this - be they IMD or otherwise.

As the DT article points out, feminists place men's activists in a constant catch-22 - telling men to talk about their issues but then always shutting them down when they do because it doesn't matter how they're addressed, it's never good enough to the feminists that have appointed themselves arbiters of which activism may or may not persist. Not that anyone asked them to fulfil that role.

And it's bloody maddening. I shouldn't have to fight an alleged gender equality movement for gender equality. Something is very wrong here.

Yeah, I understand there are issues in feminism.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I've got for a while that there are bad parts to feminism. I generally disagree with the authoritarian and oppressive elements of it that want to ban inappropriate contentography, prostitution, etc. But I'm not anti-feminist because I don't assume all are that way.

That's not why I'm anti-feminist either. I'm anti-feminist because that supposed majority of Feminists Not Like That aren't actually doing anything about the feminists that are an obstacle to genuine equality. And IME the latter type form the majority of feminists anyway.

Not all feminists are like that indeed, but IMO there is too much of such behaviour in the movement for it to be worth saving, to say nothing of the fact that the commonly held fundamental ideas of feminism are nonsense.

It's a bit like Christianity in that sense. The good it's done doesn't change the fact that too many of its adherents are profoundly against what they claim to be for (love, justice, etc) and that its basic ideas are wrong doesn't help that.

I don't get why you need a men's or women's day.

It may not be the best thing to have occur, but I have to say I never see this level of self-reflection of "well, do we really need a day for this" when we're talking about International Women's Day. It seems to come up whenever men start talking about wanting to mark International Men's Day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That's not why I'm anti-feminist either. I'm anti-feminist because that supposed majority of Feminists Not Like That aren't actually doing anything about the feminists that are an obstacle to genuine equality. And IME the latter type form the majority of feminists anyway.

What do you want more fair feminists to do to the authoritarian types? Stab them in the face? I'll argue with such people.

Not all feminists are like that indeed, but IMO there is too much of such behaviour in the movement for it to be worth saving, to say nothing of the fact that the commonly held fundamental ideas of feminism are nonsense.

What do you thin the common fundamentals are?

It may not be the best thing to have occur, but I have to say I never see this level of self-reflection of "well, do we really need a day for this" when we're talking about International Women's Day. It seems to come up whenever men start talking about wanting to mark International Men's Day.

Well message me when Womens Day comes up, and I'll say it again. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What do you want more fair feminists to do to the authoritarian types? Stab them in the face? I'll argue with such people.
mmm.... I think stabbing them in the face is the only way to prove you disagree with them.

-Stabby McGee

Upvote 0