Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Pappochelys is a fossil species recently discovered from the Middle Triassic of Germany. It has features intermediate between the stem-turtle Odontochelys from the Late Triassic and Eunotosaurus, a reptile from the Middle Permian. Eunotosaurus had a turtle-like figure and wide, flat ribs, while Odontochelys had a fully developed body plate. Pappochelys appears to be the link between the two species, as it possesses broad and sturdy ribs and the beginnings of a bony plate on its underside.
http://www.pulseheadlines.com/newly-discovered-fossil-explains-evolution-turtles-shell/2347/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappochelys

More and more of these "gaps" keep getting filled every year, it seems....hmmmmm...

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think it's also important to note that Odontochelys had teeth, which is an odd thing for a turtle to have. Or at least, it would be if turtles didn't evolve from reptiles with teeth.
Much like early birds, which in this case evolved from therapod dinosaurs that also had teeth.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
More and more of these "gaps" keep getting filled every year, it seems....hmmmmm...
Gaps so big you can stick anything in them.

Like putting a grain of dust inside a 55-gallon barrel.

For the record, let's see evolution predict finding these things BEFORE finding these things.

Not just find something, call it something, then twenty years later realize it was mislabeled.

But actually predict it, and where it should be residing in the earth.

I mean, if this fossil record is supposed to be so complete & accurate and all, it seems to me they could do something with it, rather than use it to play connect-the-dots.

Reactions: Smidlee
Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
For the record, let's see evolution predict finding these things BEFORE finding these things.

Not just find something, call it something, then twenty years later realize it was mislabeled.

I understand it's name is Tiktaalik roseae.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I mean, if this fossil record is supposed to be so complete & accurate and all, it seems to me they could do something with it, rather than use it to play connect-the-dots.
Wow, it's like you just joined CF yesterday.

Dr. Shubin wrote "Your Inner Fish," in it, he details how he predicted what and where you would find a tetrapod. Then he did.

You're welcome.

Reactions: Mex5150
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, it's like you just joined CF yesterday.

Dr. Shubin wrote "Your Inner Fish," in it, he details how he predicted what and where you would find a tetrapod. Then he did.

You're welcome.
Dear me.

Dr. Shubin predicted and found a Tiktaalik.

Way to go, Dr.!

Now let's turn up the heat a little.

What should someone find buried 1000 feet below a parcel of land one acre in size, 1000 feet, 135° from the Taj Mahal?

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Dear me.

Way to go, Dr.!

What should someone find buried 1000 feet below a parcel of land one acre in size, 1000 feet, 135° from the Taj Mahal?
Rocks
Do I win?

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Dear me.

Way to go, Dr.!

I give up. What?

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Pappochelys is a fossil species recently discovered from the Middle Triassic of Germany. It has features intermediate between the stem-turtle Odontochelys from the Late Triassic and Eunotosaurus, a reptile from the Middle Permian. Eunotosaurus had a turtle-like figure and wide, flat ribs, while Odontochelys had a fully developed body plate. Pappochelys appears to be the link between the two species, as it possesses broad and sturdy ribs and the beginnings of a bony plate on its underside.
http://www.pulseheadlines.com/newly-discovered-fossil-explains-evolution-turtles-shell/2347/

So this Papadopoulos Monster or whatever is some sort of German turtle? And this is supposed to prove that EVILution is true? Not hardly!!!!

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Dear me.

Way to go, Dr.!

I believe you folk call this 'moving the goalposts'.

You asked specifically for an example of a prediction being made for the discovery of a fossilised species, using evolutionary biology, before that discovery was made.

A perfect example has been provided.

Do you behave in an adult manner? Do you accept that your cynicism has been bested and retire gracefully?

No. Instead, we have the childish response akin to " Well, I bet my dad could beat your dad!"

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'm reminded of expecting a whale transitional with a nostril in it's forehead. And then finding it. In the expected place of the geological column.

But go ahead and move the goal posts if you'd like, evolution has a REALLY good kicker so it won't really matter.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm reminded of expecting a whale transitional with a nostril in it's forehead. And then finding it. In the expected place of the geological column.

But go ahead and move the goal posts if you'd like, evolution has a REALLY good kicker so it won't really matter.

Lol, that's one of the most desperate grabs I've seen yet. What nostril?

I'd like someone to point out this nostril for me that is in the expected location??????

ambulocetus2.jpg

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Just a breed of lizard. When will you people accept the real world observations?

But this we are assured - is an actual representation from this. I'd say it's about anything you want it to be and is grasping at straws with a smashed up something, and this is the best specimen. I do agree with one thing. More and more the claims keep getting wilder year by year in the attempt to fill gaps that never existed except in the imagination. Just as no gaps exist between the Husky and Mastiff and the Chinook, nor transitional's except the few during the interbreeding process between other breeds before the Chinook likewise became set. All of which looked morphological similar to the parents and the offspring. All of which were different breeds of the same species - not incorrectly classified as in the fossil record as different species because none exist in real life to observe.

Reactions: Smidlee
Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom

i have a few questions about this.
couldn't this be just another line of animal with no relation at all to the others?
aren't human ribs sort of flat with a sternum that could be seen as the "beginnings" of the under part of a turtle?
what would cause this rib cage to grow outside the body?

don't forget that the modern age of genomics is upon us and can easily answer such questions.
i believe that science now has the tools to answer questions like this.

i believe koonin and noble are right, we must get away from this "small gradual change" bit that has pervaded evolution since its inception.

does change happen?
sure it does, but small gradual change is not responsible for macroevolution.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
i have a few questions about this.
couldn't this be just another line of animal with no relation at all to the others?
aren't human ribs sort of flat with a sternum that could be seen as the "beginnings" of the under part of a turtle?
what would cause this rib cage to grow outside the body?

don't forget that the modern age of genomics is upon us and can easily answer such questions.
i believe that science now has the tools to answer questions like this.

i believe koonin and noble are right, we must get away from this "small gradual change" bit that has pervaded evolution since its inception.

does change happen?
sure it does, but small gradual change is not responsible for macroevolution.

What's the alternative?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.