Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't have to leave Catholicism to be considered in a constant state of mortal sin, just missing one Sunday or a plethora of other topics can cause that to happen if you take the strict road on interpreting Catholic beliefs. And in the liberal thinking it seems almost that only Catholics could possibly fulfill the requirements for mortal sin in terms of knowledge or understanding that it is a sin.

I think I see what you mean.

Sometimes it seems that Catholics are focusing way too much on sin, and there is always a plethora of traps and pratfalls that are forever haunting our every step. We are always straining to get that dammed obstinate camel through the eye of the needle, and in the process we are making the camel look like the smart one in his refusal to go.

I'm not saying that we we should mistake what the goats have to offer us in the way of teaching as being lambchops, but keeping our focus on Jesus' Father rather than the flames that are constantly licking at our heels would make for a rather more joyous, less austere existence.

we cvan have faith though, that the Holy Spirit will guide us through our sins in His own good time.
In the meantime, even as we succumb to our shortcoming all too often, we can at least thank God for giving us our sins to develop a good sense of humility, and to keep our self-righteous tendancies at bay.

Still, if I want to find a real connection to the church founded by Christ circa 33 A.D. IMO there are only two real options, Catholic or Orthodox ... or Catholic AND Orthodox.

Marcia
The opposite of orthodoxy is heterodoxy. the opposite of catholic is sectarian-as in sectarian violence.
Being Catholic is Orthodox.

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you didn't have the doctrine of a mortal sin if you changed churches(akin to walking away from Christ it seems). Would you go somewhere else? Do you have really committed friends who really live their lives for Christ? Do they really set a good example for you> Paul said follow me as I follow Christ.. The reason I ask is that I noticed others struggling and rather than encourage them to got deeper in Christ, you just go at the mortal sin and leaving Christ issue..To me that lays guilt and condemnation rather than freedom in Christ..Thank you for your comments..Christ in all things..Kim

Shalom Kim,

I think that many times people here at CF will offer their advice out of pride rather than humility. When they do this, even if their advice is truth, it becomes so cloaked in their pride that it becomes unpalatable and/or bitter.

I know personally, my pride often gets in the way of my walk with Christ.

Lord have mercy.

For arguments sake, if you knew someone who wanted to "follow their heart" and leave a congregation because of, let's say, the homosexual debate. Lets say someone felt they were homosexual and were involved in a fundamentalist Baptist congregation, and then wanted to leave and join a more liberal church that preached that homosexual activity is not a sin.... would you try and warn them, or would you think they are growing closer to Christ and let it alone?

Peace.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Shalom Kim,

I think that many times people here at CF will offer their advice out of pride rather than humility. When they do this, even if their advice is truth, it becomes so cloaked in their pride that it becomes unpalatable and/or bitter.

I know personally, my pride often gets in the way of my walk with Christ.

Lord have mercy.

For arguments sake, if you knew someone who wanted to "follow their heart" and leave a congregation because of, let's say, the homosexual debate. Lets say someone felt they were homosexual and were involved in a fundamentalist Baptist congregation, and then wanted to leave and join a more liberal church that preached that homosexual activity is not a sin.... would you try and warn them, or would you think they are growing closer to Christ and let it alone?

Peace.
Good point my brother...I see them erring from what Christ showed us through His word..The issues I bring up are they have someone that realy lives for the Lord and that impacts there life..They want to be apart of that because of the maturity issue..Why discourage someone like that..Right away it becomes "your leaving Christ..It's all about Him not a physical "church".. Remember at the judgement seat of Christ.. Our works won't be judged because we belonged to the right Church but did we obey and treat others like He told us in His word..Grace and peace to you my dear brother in Christ..

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good point my brother...I see them erring from what Christ showed us through His word..The issues I bring up are they have someone that realy lives for the Lord and that impacts there life..They want to be apart of that because of the maturity issue..Why discourage someone like that..Right away it becomes "your leaving Christ..It's all about Him not a physical "church".. Remember at the judgement seat of Christ.. Our works won't be judged because we belonged to the right Church but did we obey and treat others like He told us in His word..Grace and peace to you my dear brother in Christ..

I guess it comes down to the approach. If you go at the guy saying, " you dummy, don't you see you're walking away from the Lord?!", as opposed to saying, "my brother, I love you, talk to me and tell me what you are feeling, I want to help you?" type of thing.

I truly do not think people or the Church is trying to use fear to keep people from leaving, rather they see a fellow brother or sister in Christ putting themselves in danger and want to help them.

Again, IMO, the approach is what it comes down to.

I have so much to learn in my faith journey, especially in the evangalising dept...

Gods Peace.

Reactions: AMDG
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I usually desire to pray for them...

I also leave my pm's open for those who are having a difficult time, because we all go through that.

And I will convey the gravity of the situation....in hopes they would rather seek the truth rather than just walk away.

Sometimes... maybe sometimes, ppl reflect on what you say.

But I only do it in love.....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.