• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

annorexia and purging

salted

Jul 14, 2004
Colorado
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
I'm having a really hard time with my annorexia (or is it really bulemia - I don't know) Lately Ive been purging about three times a day.my mom is looking for a counsilor but she cant find one yet. She still doesn't know about the purging though. I really need some prayer and any helpful advice might be nice too...

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can help...

I am a recovering anorexic/bulimic. I started when I was 15 and now I am 19. It is not a fun road to be on. When your heart starts failing because you only weigh 81 lbs and are 5'8" and you see your mom looking through the cardiac ER window as drs try to get your heart beat above 31 BPM, then you will know regret.

20% of all people die from anorexia, you might think that is not so big, but you line up 5 people and one out of each 5 will die from anorexia.

I cannot come here and pretend that I am completely healed and dont struggle anymore, I do, every day of my life, every day it is a struggle and I doubt much less for you. The point I am trying to make is this: you can either have it be a struggle where you daily fight through meals and after to keep them down or you can give up lay down and wait for death to come. There is no happy medium, it will kill you unless you keep faith and pray daily.

There is a song by Kutless, Fly Away, you all need to listen to it, it is about this.

I am 19 years old now and doctors told me I would die before I ever reached 16, I know that you may think anorexia is just a fun way to lose weight but you will lose so much more, you will lose your life unless you fight and if you doubt me and persist then you alone are the one whom God will judge because now you have no reason not to know.

Anorexia affects mainly women but men as well. As hard as it is you need to tell you mom that you throw up. Your esphogus can rupture in which you have about 10 minutes before you die beneath your own blood or your heart fail in which you sink into a pool of your own blood and vomit. This is the harsh reality of eating disorders, harsh indeed but true.

I am here only by God. It is not by me but simply by God, I have no strength on my own but through God alone I am healed.

You want more info? Send me a PM...or find me on AIM or email me....same SN as I use here but at gmail.com.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you have medical insurance, have her call your family doctor for a referral to a therapist. Don't wait. Also there are eating disorder treatment facilities that can give you a referral. One is the Renfrew Center in Philadelphia. They have a website just do a google search. I went there. I have bulimia.

Hugs,
Madison

Upvote 0

salted

Jul 14, 2004
Colorado
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
thanks for that advice. Hoping mom can find a counscilor soon. I havent purged for two days and it's been hard but I can see God giving me strength throughout the day. JUust curious though, from those of you with expierience, about how long and how often do you have to purge before you start seeing side effects.THinking maybe I can scare myself out of this but I doubt it.......

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I can't answer the question about effects. I can offer some suggestions for coping skills. Instead of purging, do some deep breathing or meditation for 10 minutes. It will help with the agitation you feel just prior to purging. Also, develop a regular exercise program of taking a walk for 20 minutes each day. That is what helps me.

Upvote 0

Glorianna

I'm a proud Canadian who married an American!
Mar 29, 2004
USA
✟30,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
salted said:
I'm having a really hard time with my annorexia (or is it really bulemia - I don't know) Lately Ive been purging about three times a day.my mom is looking for a counsilor but she cant find one yet. She still doesn't know about the purging though. I really need some prayer and any helpful advice might be nice too...

Are you binging (eating a lot of food at a time)? If so, then you're struggling with bulimia. But if you're not, you're struggling with anorexia. Both are awful and difficult for anyone to deal with. Honey, I am so sorry that Satan is attacking you. Do you think you're too fat or something? I will pray that you will be able to overcome this with God's help and that you would not listen to Satan's lies. :prayer: Have you told an adult that you trust about this? They'd be able to help you. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums