Airicon

Jul 24, 2007
NY
✟8,034.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
there probably isn't a way, since organic chemistry is a vital part of any medical curriculum. That being said, don't sweat it. It's a hard course and everybody knows its a hard course. Take it and keep the rest of your courses that semester light, and find some friends in the class so you can have a study group to get through the homework sets. And make sure you get a good lab partner! My roommate is through O-Chem 1 and 2 now, and though he says its really hard, he's learned a ton and is glad he did it.

Upvote 0

Airicon

Jul 24, 2007
NY
✟8,034.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I thought you wanted to be a vet.

Well, I guess outside of being a vet there are zoologists? Maybe they don't need it, that's more like a park ranger with an animal background. Most biologists will need it.

You shouldn't let one class turn you off from an entire major. I'm an electrical engineer, and I'll confess, I hate circuit theory problems. I think they are so boring, and I have to take multiple classes in it. Fortunately though, you get through it, and then you take the classes you like.

Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Trust me...Organic chem has nothing to do with math! That's why it's notoriously hard for all us mathematically-minded science majors who are forced to take it.

Also, I think you're over-estimating the physics and calculus requirements. Most med schools and vet schools only require a couple semesters of both. Your college probably requires that just to graduate. You're going to have difficult and irrelevant requirements no matter what major you decide on, so it's wrong to rule out a life-long dream career just because of a few months of unpleasant classes.

Upvote 0

Airicon

Jul 24, 2007
NY
✟8,034.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Also, I think you're over-estimating the physics and calculus requirements.
Yeah premed isn't too hard. I think the physics requirement is only Physics I and a physics lab course. Calc-wise you need Calc I and II, but that's only AP BC Calc and most colleges require you to take Calc I-II regardless of your major.

Upvote 0

MrsSeptemberPenguin

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Minnesota
✟32,184.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Our college doesn't require it for all majors, just depends on the major. Most you can get by with even applied calc. You can't use calculators for our calc classes, and i've seen people who take the class and looked at their work. The problem isn't completing the courses, its that I pretty much have to ace them all to even get into vet school. Thanks guys though, you've given me food for thought.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah getting into vet school is supposed to be ridiculously competitive. I have two friends who were not able to get in; one had a BS in biology and had experience working in vet clinics and the other had her Master's in biology and had been teaching for a long time. She applied everywhere and I don't think she's gotten in anyplace so far.

My friend that got her bachelor's in biology went back to school and is doing veterinary technology now. There are two year and four year degrees for it and vet techs can work in a variety of places.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrsSeptemberPenguin

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Minnesota
✟32,184.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yeah getting into vet school is supposed to be ridiculously competitive. I have two friends who were not able to get in; one had a BS in biology and had experience working in vet clinics and the other had her Master's in biology and had been teaching for a long time. She applied everywhere and I don't think she's gotten in anyplace so far.

My friend that got her bachelor's in biology went back to school and is doing veterinary technology now. There are two year and four year degrees for it and vet techs can work in a variety of places.
I'm considering going to vet tech school after I graduate, but considering I'm half-way to a major I figure I should probably finish instead of having those classes count for basically nothing.

Upvote 0