Apr 26, 2004
England
Visit site
✟15,820.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What does every 1 think here of Animal Experimentation. Also known as vivisection, which literally means cutting whilst still alive.

I think it is an abomination and should be made illegal by the government.
The suffering the animals must go through and when they're half alive to be thrown out in black sacks is disgusting.
Im not only against cosmetic testing, im against medical research 2. Their r many more methods that dont use animal testing and their much more reliable 2.

Sorry if i have offended ne 1

crossrunner

Serving the Lord joyfully since 1981!
Aug 8, 2004
Raleigh, North Carolina
✟24,117.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm an ardent vegetarian...so you can pretty much guess how I feel. :)

Although I do somewhat support medical testing using animals....just not the current methods as I think they're cruel :cry: ...if reform was in place and the animals were treated in a much more humane manner then I wouldn't have a problem with it because many cures for diseases and treatments for humans (which our Christian faith makes clear that humans have greater value) have been developed because of medical testing of animals.

Also I think that great reform needs to be in place in slaughter houses. I am against current slaughterhouse practices.

Totally against cosmetic testing...so very unnecessary. Torture an animal so I can be pretty.....please!!! :mad:

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have reluctantly acknowledged that animal research is beneficial for medicine, but I believe it is important to make sure that the animals are treated well and with the compassion owed to all living things.

totally against cosmetic testing and any practices (like in slaughterhouses, crossrunner) that rank "efficiency" higher than compassion.

I, too, am a vegetarian. Not because I think everyone has to be one, but because I personally choose not to take a life if I have an option.

Macrina

Upvote 0

J'r'd

1st Dan, Kukkiwon Certified
Aug 21, 2004
PA, Central
✟15,759.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
for medical research, it's all right. but cosmetics testing and random experiments are just sick. if you're trying to find a cure for a disease all right, there are similar animals in terms of immuno response. but using chimps to test head trauma theories for pilot helmet design is fundamentally flawed since they're so insanely tough compared to us.

Upvote 0

mandapanda445

Alive for the very first time...
Mar 15, 2004
Sparks, NV
Visit site
✟1,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i'm vegetarian, so you can imagine my stance. i think it is one of the cruelest things on the world. people think that because the animal cant talk, it means they have dominion over them. It should be made illegal, in a perfect world.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So many vegetarians! Cruelty in testing on animals is in the minority these days, though nobody can argue that it doesn't exist. If you are seriously empathic to the suffering of animals, you can save MILLIONS more by going after chicken farms and slaughterhouses than fighting animal testing.

Given that it truely does save lives by lessening human testing and speeding up the process for medical procedures, I can't label it as 'evil.' I'm certainly not offended, but I wonder what medical research has lead to the statement, "there are many more methods that don't use animal testing and they're much more reliable" [heavily edited for grammar and spelling]. That is a very easy statement to make, but it borders on blatant misinformation! There are in fact VERY few methods (short of human testing) that produce quick, reliable data when testing drugs that require living tissue (like cancer drugs or anti-diabetes research) and cannot be reproduced in test-tube situations. Perhaps we should experiment on cancer patients instead?

Of COURSE I cannot support blatant disregard for the comfort of animals in research, but there are so many worse problems in animal abuse (especially in chicken farms where chickens grow up packed together by the thousands, unable to move, as developed muscles aren't as tasty)! The only reason people go after animal testing, in my opinion, is because farmers are often protected by strong lobby groups. It's certainly not because animal testing is a primary source of animal negligence in this country!

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Deamiter,

You are right that there are issues of greater impact than animal testing (although, as you also point out, there is still room for improvement there). There are many of us who are concerned about the beef and poultry industries not just because of the animal cruelty reasons, but also because of environmental, economic, and fair labor concerns.

Mac

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am mostly astonished by how many vegetarians have popped up in the physical sciences forum. Not only is medicine only vaguely a "physical science" (speaking as a physicist -- no intentions to offend!) I have this sneaking suspicion that some of these posters would never visit this forum if it weren't for this particular subject. Of course, I could very well be wrong, but I've certainly never met more than one or two vegetarians who LIKED science much less who would spend time in a forum like this!

That said, I'm CERTAINLY glad you're here! I'm always a big fan of physcal sciences and anybody interested for whatever reason. I do get worried that people go after little issues rather than big ones simply because the little problems are easier to change -- however, I don't want to detract from the need for compassion in animal testing.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, and free range chicken tastes much better (to go further off topic) but I find it's rarely sold in the states. I will always gladly pay double or more for the equivilant of "organic" chicken that not only is healthier, but is MUCH tastier! We always get it at home in Canada though, so I'm not to deprived of the delicacy!

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
mandapanda445 said:
i'm vegetarian, so you can imagine my stance. i think it is one of the cruelest things on the world. people think that because the animal cant talk, it means they have dominion over them. It should be made illegal, in a perfect world.

Have you read George Orwell's 'Animal Farm'? If you like animals, then you'll enjoy Orwell's novel even more because it kinda humorises animals by giving different animals a particular character from history. Its great satire anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
anniexxxx000 said:
What does every 1 think here of Animal Experimentation. Also known as vivisection, which literally means cutting whilst still alive.

I think it is an abomination and should be made illegal by the government.
The suffering the animals must go through and when they're half alive to be thrown out in black sacks is disgusting.
Im not only against cosmetic testing, im against medical research 2. Their r many more methods that dont use animal testing and their much more reliable 2.

Sorry if i have offended ne 1

Some info for you:

I work in and out of the biomed and veterinary fields, I was actually in one of Novartis' vivariums this morning. (Well, looking through the glass, I would have had to showered with disinfectant and put on scrubs to go in).

Any time animals are used in legitimate science the researchers must prove that their use is justified, and there is no possible way to do their research without the use of animals. They also have to prove that the animals will not be treated inhumanely. If they don't follow procedure this way, and "outlaw" it, they run the not insubstatial risk that A) Their results will never be published and B) They'll be prosecuted for not following OSHA standards, amoung other. Not worth the risk.

More practically though, the strains of animals they use for experiments have to be extremely closely controlled. You pay A LOT to obtain strains specific to whatever arrays you need to preform.

You don't just randomly sacrafice a mouse that cost you $45,000.

Upvote 0

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
anniexxxx000 said:
Thanx every 1 4 posting. Although, is there ne 1 here who absoloutely h8's animal experimentation - cosmetic and medical?
I think animal testing in the cosmetic industry is unnecessary and ridiculous.

Animal testing in medicine benifits humans and animals. There are some things you simply can't do without animal testing. As long as those things are justified, I don't have a problem with them.

Upvote 0

JesusRox

HuMMmmMMm
Jun 25, 2003
✟3,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
anniexxxx000 said:
Thanx every 1 4 posting. Although, is there ne 1 here who absoloutely h8's animal experimentation - cosmetic and medical?
I can say I am. People in school got really mad at me when my teacher asked some question about if they could find a cure for something major, I don't remember exactly what but I said no. No medicine for me. :thumbsup: We are NOT the same.

Here's something I was reading:
http://www.sumeria.net/health/prism.html

Upvote 0