Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
We do not know but they taught us in Grade School that we have to make some assumptions in life. The issue is how we judge others. WE know that to the pure they judge others as being pure. To those who are filthy and defiled then they judge others as being filthy and defiled. Because we can ONLY judge ourselves and project that out on others.

Did not answer my question. As per usual. So again: how do you know that you aren't in a dream?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So I got to wondering about evolution, and this question came to mind:

Why aren't medical clinics referred to as animal clinics, like all the others are?
Why cause confusion? It's kinda important for a human to know whether a place has doctors who are trained to help them.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm getting in late here and haven't read every post. But I'm a health care provider who trained in the 70s. FWIW, the physiology course we all took as freshman medical students was described in the catalog as Mammalian physiology.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Humans tend to regard themselves as special, and not without good reason, given that they are by far and away the most successful species on the planet.

Since I feel like nit picking . . . ;)

By what measure are humans the most successful species? It would seem to me that whatever criteria we choose will be pretty arbitrary. For example, there are more E. coli in your colon than there are people in the world. There are probably algae species that make up a larger percentage of the Earth's biomass than humans do. So how are humans the most successful species, other than having the attributes that humans prefer?

Just food for thought.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

By what measure are humans the most successful species?

Well, for a start, we can adapt our environment to suit ourselves, instead of having to adapt ourselves to suit the environment. I wouldn't give much for a chimpanzee's chances of surviving in Antarctica, without quite a bit of help from us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Well, for a start, we can adapt our environment to suit ourselves, instead of having to adapt ourselves to suit the environment. I wouldn't give much for a chimpanzee's chances of surviving in Antarctica, without quite a bit of help from us.

Beavers do the same when they build a dam to create an environment they prefer. Also, that would be an arbitrary criteria.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Beavers do the same when they build a dam to create an environment they prefer. Also, that would be an arbitrary criteria.

I would say it makes us pretty well unique. Obeying an instinct, and building a damn, isn't really the same kind of thing.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

By what measure are humans the most successful species? It would seem to me that whatever criteria we choose will be pretty arbitrary. For example, there are more E. coli in your colon than there are people in the world. There are probably algae species that make up a larger percentage of the Earth's biomass than humans do. So how are humans the most successful species, other than having the attributes that humans prefer?

Just food for thought.
I guess, according to Linnaeus, we have a corner of the market in wisdom.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My heart stopped. There was a time when that would have been considered to be dead. Back before they had defibrillators to get it going again.

Thanks, I'm glad you revovered.

Did you have any sort of religious experience when this occurred?

Normally I wouldn't want to go so far off topic but seeing as the topic is nonsense it won't hurt....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Stacy

Jul 31, 2016
Ireland
✟518.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My heart stopped. There was a time when that would have been considered to be dead. Back before they had defibrillators to get it going again.
If your heart had stopped beating you were dead, there are no if's how's or but's about that, you were dead.
What shocked you back into life? remember, being dead is a physical thing not a mental thing, if your heart had stopped your brain was also seconds from dying caused by the lack of oxygen.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If your heart had stopped beating you were dead, there are no if's how's or but's about that, you were dead.
What shocked you back into life? remember, being dead is a physical thing not a mental thing, if your heart had stopped your brain was also seconds from dying caused by the lack of oxygen.

People are usually held to be clinically dead once their brain has died. That usually takes a couple of minutes after their heart has stopped beating. If it took only seconds, there wouldn't be much point in trying to restart somebody's heart once it had stopped.

Upvote 0

Mark Stacy

Jul 31, 2016
Ireland
✟518.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
People are usually held to be clinically dead once their brain has died. That usually takes a couple of minutes after their heart has stopped beating. If it took only seconds, there wouldn't be much point in trying to restart somebody's heart once it had stopped.
OK perhaps more than a few seconds, but seconds or minutes don't apply here because these are his exact words...........
"Back before they had defibrillators to get it going again".

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife had just finished her STNA training and she did respiratory resuscitation while waiting for the fire department to get there. They use a defibrillator to get the heart going again.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People are usually held to be clinically dead once their brain has died.
The brain does not actually die. The cells in the brain fill up with the enzymes needed to break down oxygen and the cells die when they reintroduce oxygen in an attempt to revive them. If they pack the patient in ice and bring the body temperature down to 90 degrees this increased the window of opportunity for reviving people.

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/01/02/...er-heart-attacks-could-save-lives-293598.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/12/05/study-more-heart-attack-patients-to-be-put-on-ice.html

Upvote 0