Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It might depend on jurisdiction too. I can be wrong, but if think some jurisdictions more strongly prefer all converts to be baptized?

The Greeks usually recognize Trinitarian baptisms which have the same (basically) understanding of the Trinity. If that were the particular guideline being used, Anglican baptism would be recognized, unless gender-neutral stuff has crept in. There would seem to be differences among Anglicans.

Eta: Prodromos (and others) made good points and I need to edit to clarify - it depends on the question. I had assumed it was being asked "if a person becomes Orthodox, would a prior Anglican baptism be recognized?" Not whether it was asked if Orthodoxy recognizes another baptism stand-alone outside the Church, or any other question. I thought it was a question of how one might be received - which is an "ask your priest" question, since it depends on the jurisdiction's decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,098.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The form of the Anglican baptism may be recognised as correct, but I don't believe it would be "recognised" as a sacrament unless the person was subsequently chrismated in the Orthodox Church, in which case the "form" of the baptism is filled with grace.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I already asked the same question on the OBOB and the answer was yes!

What about the Eastern Orthodox Church ? Does it recognize the baptism in the Anglican Church ?

I'm not sure if you asking a very complicated question or a very simple one. Why would someone care if their Anglican baptism is recognized by the Orthodox Church? Or the Catholic for that matter...

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Speaking as one who had an infant baptism as an Anglican, I can say that my church accepted it as it was in the name of the Holy Trinity.
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

It was certified by my [Greek] Orthodox Bishop and is therefore (and I love this about Orthodoxy) his problem :p .

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
jckstraw72 said:
it varies ... ArmyMatt had an Anglican baptism but was received into Orthodoxy via baptism. We may recognize the "form" as economia, but not the baptism itself.

Yea it definitely depends. I was received via chrismation- and my baptism was from a Pentecostal church. One requirement for it to be recognized as an accepted form would be the baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums