Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ugh, what exactly are you so offended by?

The implication that there is anything to be "suspicious" about. I'm not "offended" by the way, I'm confused as to why there is anything "suspicious" about this at all.

I just don't see any reason why charitable causes have to limit themselves to specific groups of people.
Because they choose to. This is hardly the first group of people who wants to help out a specific group of people.

Are you also "suspicious" when an organization like the NAACP wants to raise money for African Americans?

I'm certainly aware of the people who get disowned due to gender or sexuality issues, but that practice of putting them out on the streets just doesn't seem like something everyone, even particularly bigoted people, would actually do.
The mere fact that you admit awareness of the issue belies the fact that you think it doesn't seem like something people would actually do.

I could have sworn queer was a slur, not synonymous with questioning one's sexuality. I've heard of "genderqueer" but I don't know if there's even a large enough population of those people to determine how many are homeless or not.
"Queer" is being retaken by some groups of people. That isn't to say that it can't be used as a slur, as noticed by other groups of people who do the same thing.

The rest I just dropped because I think it was addressed by the above.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THe whole thing is a little bit obscure IMHO. Is it OK to raise money for the homeless? Many people would say: By all means!!! Is it OK to raise money for the homeless who are lesbians or gays? Well...

So whats the difference or problem here? I dont fully understand the issue I am afraid!

Imagine a man has had an accident, he needs help - you wouldnt ask him if he is gay, would you? - before you administer some help?

The difference is when you specify LGBT homeless - or accident victims - you lend support to the LGBT lifestyle.

Would Our Lord help them? Sure.
Would He support their lifestyle? No way.

I grew up near Andrews and always had respect for their stance on many things. I even visited Pioneer Memorial a few times. (love that pipe organ!)

I think they were 100% right on this one. The issue is being touted as "hate speech" because they are not supporting LGBT lifestyle.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The difference is when you specify LGBT homeless - or accident victims - you lend support to the LGBT lifestyle.

I grew up near Andrews and always had respect for their stance on many things. I even visited Pioneer Memorial a few times. (love that pipe organ!)

I think they were 100% right on this one. The issue is being touted as "hate speech" because they are not supporting LGBT lifestyle.

Thank you brother for your support! :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been thinking about this in the back of my mind for a couple of days and the earlier reference to the woman caught in adultery in John 8.

In that instance, there was no question in ANYONE's mind that what she had been doing was sinful. Not Our Lord's, not the accusers', and certainly not hers.

So when Jesus said “Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more;” there was no question what He was talking about. She had to quit doing that.

Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have been thinking about this in the back of my mind for a couple of days and the earlier reference to the woman caught in adultery in John 8.

In that instance, there was no question in ANYONE's mind that what she had been doing was sinful. Not Our Lord's, not the accusers', and certainly not hers.

So when Jesus said “Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more;” there was no question what He was talking about. She had to quit doing that.

True!

But the 'tricky' thing here is, that there are people who want to trick us into believing it was OK to sin. Like you can go on sinning, still be a chrisitian and go to heaven. Lots of effort is put into this! Like the idea of Paul saying that we should obey our government and since a government says its ok to do it then we have to obey and its no longer as sin. There are various ways of approaching it and this whole Andrews thing is apparently one of those tricks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alawishis

Sep 28, 2010
✟9,437.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Should probably get the other side of the story not just the sensational stuff the media likes to print.

Apparently Andrews did agree to help LGBT homeless youth, I'm not sure why LGBT specifically, they just didn't want to be involved with a specific organization that a one student wanted. I guess and alternative was suggested. I guess this one specific student got angry and went to the media, and of course the media tells the story that will sell the most papers, so as to speak.

Upvote 0

JeffTheLearner

a puff of smoke
Apr 9, 2006
Richland, MO
✟8,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sheesh ...is this a Christian forum, or a gay propaganda blog?

The line is drawn in the sand, choose life and repent. "Teshuva" ...sin no more, be perfect.

And your sins "were not forgiven before you were born" ...Grace is conditional upon faith, and faith is conditional upon belief in God's Word, and belief in God's Word is conditional on doing and following His Word, and commandments.

That is a TRUE faith that shows forth fruit. The fruit you are talking about is the vile fruits of the world, and there is no distinction between your fruit, and the fruit of a Godless world.

But I don't think you fear Yah, or honor His Son, you speak from the reasonings of your own heart, and not scripture. Didn't you notice how you altered Messiahs Words?

Everything spoken by Messiah has a context, and this cut and paste method of interpreting scripture is just awful ...I could just as easily cut your words, and paste them together to make you sound like you actually support the Truth of scripture ...this is just a shame.

Messiah hates the sin, and counts those who refuse to repent as lawless rebels, not benefactors of mercy ...but if they do repent, He did die for them so they can live in His Kingdom forever.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
✟1,657.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Upvote 0

Alawishis

Sep 28, 2010
✟9,437.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How about a bake sale to benefit ALL homeless people?
Exactly! Talk about reverse discrimination. The LGBT cause is used to gain attention and nothing more. There aren't more LGBT homeless than straight homeless. This bake sale was set up a student, so it's hard to say what he was trying to accomplish. Something doesn't smell right. But a lot of the LGBT causes have something odd to them, like something is not quite on the level, or there is another agenda.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat

Who said they're supporting a lifestyle? It merely says they are LGBT. It implies nothing about a lifestyle, which is just a buzzword for anti-gay sentiment. Half of all homeless youth are LGBT due to how society (usually Christian) families kick them to the street. They would be a group Jesus would support the most due to being oppressed outcasts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Who said they're supporting a lifestyle? It merely says they are LGBT. It implies nothing about a lifestyle, which is just a buzzword for anti-gay sentiment. Half of all homeless youth are LGBT due to how society (usually Christian) families kick them to the street. They would be a group Jesus would support the most due to being oppressed outcasts.

The fact they identify with the LGBT moniker means they are practicing the lifestyle... otherwise they would just be homeless kids.

When Jesus used the term "go and sin no more" it showed us the condition of salvation. It's not confess, repent and carry on as you were.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not confess, repent and carry on as you were.
If one truly repents, there will be no "carry on as you were;" because the word means to both change your thinking and change your actions.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If I've repented of my sin and am not continuing in it, I would not call identify myself as that sin... God has forgiven and forgotten and we are free in that... to not be tormented by or identify with our cleansed transgressions.

Upvote 0