.....and we are electing Muslims in the USA who swear on the Koran.

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Which politicians elected in the US have sworn in on the Quran? I looked it up & the only ones I could find are Keith Ellison who was sworn into Congress during the Bush era using a Quran owned by Thomas Jefferson & 1 civil court judge.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Which politicians elected in the US have sworn in on the Quran? I looked it up & the only ones I could find are Keith Ellison who was sworn into Congress during the Bush era using a Quran owned by Thomas Jefferson & 1 civil court judge.

Indiana has a Muslim congressman, Andre Carson

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I read this week, about a Muslim woman being elected to the Minnesota House of Representatives and she was sworn in using a Quran. First Somali-American Legislator Begins Work in Minnesota

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
  • Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Swearing on the Koran? So what?

Is freedom of religion suddenly unconstitutional now?

I wonder what Israel would have said if Trump vowed to ban all Jews. Probably something similar yet more descriptive.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
See posts 2 & 4.

Right, but we have freedom of religion in this country. If it doesn't apply equally, then the Constitution's promise of not "prohibiting the free exercise" of religion is just words on paper.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The same still applies,loving your enemies is one think,giving them power over you and every advantage and opportunity to destroy you is just plain stupid.
Which congressional Representatives or Senators have power over anyone other than their own staffers?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The is nothing in the US Constitution that requires the use of a Bible. Three US Presidents--John Quincy Adams. Franklin Pierce. and Theodore Roosevelt--did not swear on Bibles. And not every President has said the words "so help me God." Those words are not part of the official oath. Further, for many years Presidents did not repeat the oath. The Chief Justice began the oath with the words "do you _______ solemnly swear" and after he said the oath they simply replied "I do" or "I affirm."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am no fan of Islam. I think it was a religion inspired by a demon in a cave.

However, if you start banning religions in America, you'll risk one day getting to the point Christianity will be banned.

I don't want to be persecuted myself.
That's my ultimate reason for religious tolerance. Just because Christians are the big kid on the block now doesn't mean we always will be. If we discriminate against non-Christians in our period of strength, what right to complain will we have if discriminated against in our period of weakness?

Upvote 0