And Now There Are 6 Republican Candidates; How Many On March 1?

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,595.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Iowa and NH voters have done their job in winnowing the field to 6 candidates, from the original 17 or so.

Who, if any, will drop out before the SEC primary on March 1? Of course, the longer that we have lots of candidates, the more likely that Trump's 35% or so will get him the nomination.

There are two contests before March 1st: South Carolina and Nevada. Perhaps someone will drop out after these.

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget about Jim Gilmore and Vermin Supreme (who got more votes than Jim Gilmore).
article-vermin-1-0209.jpg

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,595.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't forget about Jim Gilmore and Vermin Supreme (who got more votes than Jim Gilmore).
article-vermin-1-0209.jpg

Gilmore is out.

outsiders: Trump, Cruz, Carson
insiders: Bush, Kasich, Rubio

In SC, all but a couple of delegates will go to the winner. With 6 candidates, Trump's continuing 35% looks strong.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Gilmore is out.

outsiders: Trump, Cruz, Carson
insiders: Bush, Kasich, Rubio

In SC, all but a couple of delegates will go to the winner. With 6 candidates, Trump's continuing 35% looks strong.
OK. I missed that as He seem to suggest the day before he would be heading to South Carolina. The man was beaten by a man with a boot on his head. lol

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK. I missed that as He seem to suggest the day before he would be heading to South Carolina. The man was beaten by a man with a boot on his head. lol

Transcribed from an Iowa Caucus:

A: I'm voicing my support for Vermin Supreme!

B: He's a joke candidate. Why don't you vote for Jim Gilmore or something?

A: Jim who?

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Trump, Cruz, Rubio, and Bush have the money to go all the way to the convention. Carson can keep going well through march, and Kasich even has some cash on hand.

Basically, only if Kasich gets crushed will we see anyone drop out. The remaining establishment, unable to push Trump/Cruz out, may all stay in to force a brokered convention if none of them can claim the mantle for themselves.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,595.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump, Cruz, Rubio, and Bush have the money to go all the way to the convention. Carson can keep going well through march, and Kasich even has some cash on hand.

Basically, only if Kasich gets crushed will we see anyone drop out. The remaining establishment, unable to push Trump/Cruz out, may all stay in to force a brokered convention if none of them can claim the mantle for themselves.
If the candidates aren't reduced soon, Trump will start winning all the delegates with his 35% polling.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I'm inclined to see it this way, too. The one who probably SHOULD get out is Bush, but that would be too embarrassing for him at this stage of things and would be badly received by all those people who staked him to such a large warchest.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm inclined to see it this way, too. The one who probably SHOULD get out is Bush, but that would be too embarrassing for him at this stage of things and would be badly received by all those people who staked him to such a large warchest.

Yeah, but if he's seen to undermine the party choice, this cycle, that will be used against him in 2020. If he's playing the long game, he still has another shot at the White House. If he's worried about embarrassment now, he could torpedo his future chances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Haha! ;)

Politics is like Star Trek. Nobody's ever _really_ gone.
In theory, no. And there are, of course, exceptions. But in Jeb's case, it is very doubtful that he will figure in any future run for the presidency.

He could keep his name before the people by hosting a TV show, running for the Senate or the Governorship again, heading up some nationwide political action organization, and all of that, but do you really, really, think that he's inclined to do so? No, he is running now almost totally on the idea that he's a Bush.

He didn't do any of this stuff in anticipation of making the run in 2016, so the idea that he's going to do it with enthusiasm after losing this year's primaries doesn't seem to have much going for it.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In theory, no. And there are, of course, exceptions. But in Jeb's case, it is very doubtful that he will figure in any future run for the presidency.

He could keep his name before the people by hosting a TV show, running for the Senate or the Governorship again, heading up some nationwide political action organization, and all of that, but do you really, really, think that he's inclined to do so? No, he is running now almost totally on the idea that he's a Bush.

He didn't do any of this stuff in anticipation of making the run in 2016, so the idea that he's going to do it with enthusiasm after losing this year's primaries doesn't seem to have much going for it.

If history has taught us anything, it is 4 years is an eternity in the political world and you never say never.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jeb still has 2 election cycles in him, so expect him in 2020. 2024 is unlikely. Clinton, assuming a loss with no democrat incumbent, will likely make one last swipe in 2020 if she isn't indicted or anything of that nature, but there will likely be new blood coming up the ranks. I'm predicting Cory Booker will make a move sometime soon, either 2020 or 2024, he may even be tapped for VP this year.

Rubio, like his speeches will be repeat again and again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If team Bush keeps spending the way they did in New Hampshire they'll be out before the end of the month. If they don't keep spending the way they did in New Hampshire Bush won't get any votes. Either way, I just don't see it working out for team Bush.

Poor Jeb ... :(

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If team Bush keeps spending the way they did in New Hampshire they'll be out before the end of the month. If they don't keep spending the way they did in New Hampshire Bush won't get any votes. Either way, I just don't see it working out for team Bush.

Poor Jeb ... :(
Sounds right, although Bush does seem to be more comfortable lately in the debates. But I still think the moment has passed him by, and the main thing that's keeping him somewhat competitive is that the Establishment doesn't know whom to switch to instead. Rubio has feet of clay, they still don't like Cruz, and Kasich is heading into unpromising territory for the next few primaries. The latest poll shows him getting 9% next Tuesday (?), so he's probably reached his high water mark already. I didn't think his strategy of saying "we shouldn't argue" while he's arguing with Trump and Bush himself won't make much of an impact on the voters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0