Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In some circles - definitely not. In others; probably so. Like the pastor I know of who married a woman who had been divorced 4 times already for unbiblical reasons and now "had the guy God wanted her to have from the beginning." She directed the choir and her immediate ex husband was the lead tenor.
That's probably not a close enough parallel.

In this situation we have a lot of family members supporting the idea of forgiveness (and for Anna to remain married). That's a difficult spot for her.

Upvote 0

HondaMan

Aug 24, 2015
✟11,947.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
In some circles - definitely not. In others; probably so. Like the pastor I know of who married a woman who had been divorced 4 times already for unbiblical reasons and now "had the guy God wanted her to have from the beginning." She directed the choir and her immediate ex husband was the lead tenor.

You don't go there, do you? Very strange chemistry going on there.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't go there, do you? Very strange chemistry going on there.
No - their choir was visiting and the pastor was a guest speaker at a congregation I used to go to in Michigan. They were from Indiana and were somehow related to one of the older women in our congregation.

Strange chemistry indeed. Wierded me out from the get-go.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mkgal1, I feel bad for Anna Duggar. Josh sinned and it was exposed publically, but what did Anna do.

But Anna Duggar did what she was supposed to do by remaining chaste and godly (presumably). These are good things. Bad things happen to people who stay chaste. That's no reason not to live godly for the Lord.

I feel like that little blurb presented something positive in a little bit negative light.

I agree Link.

Problem is with many of the teachings is they 'guarantee' this to their following. Can you imagine? It's the same principal with those pastors that tell you to send them money so you are given the GOOD life in return from God. They hint at fortunes, and bring people in that have stories of how their life's changed by giving to their ministry. They sell it like a guaranteed lottery ticket!

Josh had issues since he was a child. He abused some family members - and one non family member at that period of his life. His parents needed to step up, and give him more than counseling by a man that showed him carpentry skills. There are faith based ministries that have very DECENT reviews in this country, but their following (ATI) are very superstitious of anything outside what Gothard would approve. They sent him to whom Gothard would want them too. They placed their faith in a human, and this human's teachings. It's strange to me how sickly devoted these people are to this man - not just the Duggars. The Gothardites is what they are called. It's spooky. There is NOTHING wrong with being loyal to your church's leader, but we always have to have that line in the sand. Their human. I do believe Josh had many issues that they tend to tell you to pray away, and he missed out of the true help he needed as a little boy. A young man. It's very sad.

Sadly, we are speaking of more than just adultery. We are speaking of a sex addiction. This is very serious, and something he will battle for the rest of his life I'm afraid. It doesn't mean he can't be in recovery - like all addicts there is hope. Rumor has it that he will be sent to a Hyles Anderson place for his rehab, and sadly that is not very encouraging news. Horrible reputation, but right in line with their belief system. I'm heart broken for him, Anna, and those children. Sigh. They are again - if this is true, and sadly it normally is - setting him up for failure. The poor man needs coping skills. WELL, among other things of course.

The only difference I see between him and others? He doesn't make as many excuses. For example, with that website? Someone stole my email...it wasn't ME! He was upfront about it. He admitted he paid for sex after the woman came forward - others would lie about that. He admitted a inappropriate content addiction as well. Problem is he never admitted those things until he got caught. You have to wonder how much longer he would have gone if he had not.

The other side of the problem is they will blame his wife, because they are big believers that women can always prevent these things. Talk about a huge load and burden to place on women. Men tend not to have control in that area, and its up to the wife to keep them focused. They hint that the man will go nuts if his libido isn't kept in check. That's just dangerous and enabling talk. We all have choices - all of us. We all need to respect the boundaries as well.

I wish she could be close to her family during this time while he is gone in rehab. It seems they have chosen to keep her isolated under the Duggar care instead. This poor woman is scared, and she needs support and counseling too. The last thing she needs is to be told she must hold blame for this. That's just damaging. There is a time and place for everything, and its neither right now. If she stays? I pray that is due to her freewill, and not out of some sick devotion they are talking her into. She also needs to be tested for STD's. That alone can be traumatizing for a very isolated woman in her position. Yet, it needs to be done.

The only part now is maybe their isolation will keep their children protected from the spotlight as much as possible.

All I see is disaster waiting to happen, and all we can do sit back and watch. How heart breaking, and I've been praying for all of them.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well - I was yet again shocked and saddened by news coming from the Dugar camp. Or ABOUT it actually.

It seems he paid** a few calls to a inappropriate content star/prostitute while his wife was expecting. And it seems these encounters were NOT via the Ashley Madison cheating web site.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/entertain...gar-had-affair-while-wife--pregnant/32408493/

And now he (Josh) has checked himself into "rehab." Right.
Another go-around with Gothard's crew? they don't say. Like that worked out so well last time.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/08/26/josh-duggar-checks-into-rehab-family-says/32410449/

** "paid" as in over $3000.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Rumor has it that he will be sent to a Hyles Anderson place for his rehab, and sadly that is not very encouraging news. Horrible reputation, but right in line with their belief system. I'm heart broken for him, Anna, and those children. Sigh. They are again - if this is true, and sadly it normally is - setting him up for failure. The poor man needs coping skills. WELL, among other things of course.

Sadly, I think you're exactly right. From what I've read---it's believed that he's most likely at Reformers Unanimous (which is more like a labor camp with free time only set to read the Bible and pray). It seem that their philosophy is that once a person becomes "addicted to Jesus" they are "free of other addictions".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can only imagine how difficult it is for the parents.

though Matthew 7:2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you

I have heard that the Duggar parents have made horrendous statements against the gay community

when one fail to show mercy on others, God Himself will also use the same measure in return, unfortunately...

it is just my take on this anyway.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seem that their philosophy is that once a person becomes "addicted to Jesus" they are "free of other addictions".
Steve Arterburn wrote a book called "Toxic Faith" that shows how "religious addictions" are just the same and just as destructive as other addictions.
9780840791153.jpg

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Steve Arterburn wrote a book called "Toxic Faith" that shows how "religious addictions" are just the same and just as destructive as other addictions.

That book looks really interesting. I looked at the description and it says this:

book description said:
Those who possess a toxic faith have stepped across the line from a balanced perspective of God to an unbalanced faith in a weak, powerless or uncaring God. They seek a God to fix every mess, prevent every hurt, and mend every conflict.

Toxic Faith
distinguishes between a healthy faith and a misguided religiosity that traps believers in an addictive practice of religion. Toxic Faith shows readers how to find hope for a return to genuine, healthy faith that can add meaning to life.

It sounds like something we all should read.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It sounds like something we all should read.
Yes. It really opened up both my wife's and my eyes to a lot of our own church history.

If I ever compile a list of must-reads for a believer, this book would be on the list.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think this is the important take away: "They seek a God to fix every mess, prevent every hurt, and mend every conflict." Someone mentioned the whole Jim Jones cult a while back, and from what I understand....those weren't uneducated and "lost" people that followed him. Many were highly educated professionals with "successful" lives.

This may be a bit of a side trip off the path....but this TED talk is an interesting one about how people can be lured into cult-like groups (and cults don't have to be out in the middle of no where with a uniform dress code ...some churches can have many of the aspects to qualify them as a cult).

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This seems to be the Duggar news of the day:

There’s a mystery brewing in the Quiverfull world of the Duggar family. According to Suzanne Titkemeyer, “Calulu,” who runs the daily administration at the spiritual abuse recovering website, No Longer Quivering, the eldest son Josh Duggar seems to be missing from the rehab facility where he is supposed to be receiving treatment. Josh may not be at the Rockford, Illinois treatment facility connected with North Love Baptist Church.

Today marks one full week since Josh Duggar was reported to have entered a rehab facility by the name of Reformers Unanimous, which is a facility that his parents, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar have supported many times in the past. The statement by his parents did not name the treatment center that Josh was attending.

Many of the media outlets seized upon Reformers Unanimous as the the treatment facility because of Jim Bob and Michelle’s involvement with the center. That, combined with the flight records of the Duggar‘s private plane showing a late night trip to Rockford, Illinois with a ~ten minute turn-around time between arriving at the Rockford airport and the aircraft departing for a return to the Springdale airport seemed to indicate that RU was where Josh would be serving out his long term ‘treatment’ for sex and inappropriate contentography addiction.

There is only one big problem with that assumption. Not a soul in Rockford, Illinois has actually spotted Josh Duggar among the individuals receiving treatment at RU. He hasn’t been seen coming or going from any of the mandatory church services at North Love Baptist Church. This is especially odd considering the rules at Reformers Unanimous posted on their website claim it would be a mandatory part of everyone’s recovery process at RU. There has been absolutely no sightings of Josh anywhere in Rockford or RU. No sightings at all.~http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/josh-duggar-is-missing-from-treatment-center-report/

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sidetracked by a comment in the article - they have a private plane?! Gee wiz, how much money does that family make? What does Jim Bob do? Or is it all TV money?

As for no Josh sitings, to give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they are making exceptions for him and keeping him contained/out of site to keep paparazzi at bay. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sidetracked by a comment in the article - they have a private plane?! Gee wiz, how much money does that family make?
I know! That's the first I'd heard of the private plane. Your question about how much they make? Right now---not so much, but from what I've read, they were making a LOT (as in 25 million per year is what several articles stated). That's a whole other issue. While they were preaching that they were living a "debt-free" lifestyle (I'd hope so....with that sort of income) they are supposedly asking for donations now online (shouldn't that $$ have been enough for the rest of their lives?). That was over a decade of that income (IIRC).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
perhaps they are making exceptions for him and keeping him contained/out of site to keep paparazzi at bay. Just a thought.
That's possible---but if he were attending the mandatory church services on private property I don't think the paparazzi would have access....you know?

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sidetracked by a comment in the article - they have a private plane?! Gee wiz, how much money does that family make? What does Jim Bob do? Or is it all TV money?

As for no Josh sitings, to give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they are making exceptions for him and keeping him contained/out of site to keep paparazzi at bay. Just a thought.

you have to be careful

there are a lot of people out there hate them

I wont trust everything I read about them.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
there are a lot of people out there hate them

I don't believe most people that are writing about the Duggars "hate" them. I believe most of the criticism is more about thier beliefs and hypocrisy (which isn't "them" but their behaviors---which can change).

I don't believe reporters would lie about the private plane. I'd think that'd be something easily found out to not be true (if it were made-up).

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe most people that are writing about the Duggars "hate" them. I believe most of the criticism is more about thier beliefs and hypocrisy (which isn't "them" but their behaviors---which can change).

I don't believe reporters would lie about the private plane. I'd think that'd be something easily found out to not be true (if it were made-up).

yeah...

I have seen so many conflicting report

some stated they might be in financial troubles

so who knows

Upvote 0