On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you serious? I was talking about all those that recognized that council as valid, which does not include the Catholic Church, as I said about five different times.

Do you have a source for that? Why did RC reject this synod of Laodicea?

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Originally Posted by SpiritualAntiseptic
-snip-

As such, they are binding as law on the Church. I believe you used the word "orthodox".

True or false?

Ahh, here's the problem. You didn't answer my question based on your words.

True or false?

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Ahh, here's the problem. You didn't answer my question based on your words.

True or false?

Is what true or false, my posts? I would tend to think that my posts are true. Do you make posts believing that what you said was false?

If you mean the particular part of my post you put in bold, it is true insofar as it is binding as Church law for those that considered the quinisext council valid.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is what true or false, my posts? I would tend to think that my posts are true. Do you make posts believing that what you said was false?

If you mean the particular part of my post you put in bold, it is true insofar as it is binding as Church law for those that considered the quinisext council valid.

So now you're saying Roman Catholics aren't part of the Church :confused:

Dude, I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. You got the semantics better than me.

You said this by which I thought we had agreement--

" Originally Posted by SpiritualAntiseptic
-snip-

As such, they are binding as law on the Church. I believe you used the word "orthodox". "
Now you're saying yes they are valid only for the Church. So is RC part of the Church? If so, then it's binding as law on RC. If not, then, whatever.

If you want to rephrase your comment, please do. I'm just trying to get to some truth and understanding.

I mean are you considering my earlier comment about the Church excommunicating Mary and the Apostles? You don't want to be part of that, right? What's the deal here?

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

So now you're saying Roman Catholics aren't part of the Church :confused:

No, that is how you twisted my words around by quoting something of mine that was talking about a particular Orthodox perspective.
I was explaining different viewpoints, then you quoted one, acted confused and then asked if it was true or not.

I calmly explained that it was true insofar as it was their perspective.

Dude, I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. You got the semantics better than me.

I am just using normal English that any fifth grader could understand.

You said this by which I thought we had agreement--

As such, they are binding as law on the Church. I believe you used the word "orthodox". "
Now you're saying yes they are valid only for the Church. So is RC part of the Church? If so, then it's binding as law on RC. If not, then, whatever.

You quoted me explaining the perspective of some Orthodox. I really don't know how to break this down any more for you.

Catholics: Laodicea was a local synod.
Orthodox: Laodicea was a local synod.
Some Orthodox: Laodicea was a local synod whose canons were approved by the quinisext council, which was part of the Sixth Ecumenical Council.

I mean are you considering my earlier comment about the Church excommunicating Mary and the Apostles?
Not really.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You quoted me explaining the perspective of some Orthodox. I really don't know how to break this down any more for you.

Catholics: Laodicea was a local synod.
Orthodox: Laodicea was a local synod.
Some Orthodox: Laodicea was a local synod whose canons were approved by the quinisext council, which was part of the Sixth Ecumenical Council.

Not really.

SA---As such, they are binding as law on the Church. I believe you used the word "orthodox". "

Okay. I think I get what you're saying.

Either- RC does not believe that the Sixth EC was binding on them.
Or- RC is not part of the Church (to the mods--that's SA not SUp saying that).

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

SA---As such, they are binding as law on the Church. I believe you used the word "orthodox". "

Okay. I think I get what you're saying.

Either- RC does not believe that the Sixth EC was binding on them.
Or- RC is not part of the Church (to the mods--that's SA not SUp saying that).

Really?

Really?

The Catholic Church does not believe that the Sixth Ecumenical Council was 'binding' on them. It was an Ecumenical Council. The Catholic Church is *the* Church.

I have no idea why you seem to enjoy reading what I say and then post telling me the opposite. You are obviously playing games at this point or have so difficult of time with reading comprehension that there is nothing left for me to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Really?

Really?

The Catholic Church does believe that the Sixth Ecumenical Council was 'binding' on them. It was an Ecumenical Council. The Catholic Church is *the* Church.

I have no idea why you seem to enjoy reading what I say and then post telling me the opposite. You are obviously playing games at this point or have so difficult of time with reading comprehension that there is nothing left for me to do.

Okay then, let's proceed, since we agree that the canons of the synod of Laodicea are binding on the Church. Right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Really?

The Catholic Church does believe that the Sixth Ecumenical Council was 'binding' on them. It was an Ecumenical Council. The Catholic Church is *the* Church.

Okay then, let's proceed, since we agree that the canons of the synod of Laodicea are binding on the Church. Right?

No, we don't. That was your faulty premise.

Sorry dude, for Catholics, Laodicea was a local synod.

So, when you said, SA---As such, they are binding as law on the Church. "

You didn't really mean that, right? Again, it's okay. We're just trying to move the conversation forward here.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

So, when you said, SA---As such, they are binding as law on the Church. "

You didn't really mean that, right? Again, it's okay. We're just trying to move the conversation forward here.

Have I discussed this, three or four times now?

I was talking about the perspective of certain Orthodox. No matter how many times you quote the one line, it doesn't change the fact that I was discussing a particular perspective, not what I or the Catholic Church believes.

My guess is that you will go on about something else for the next 6-8 posts and then bring this up all over again. I am really growing tired of your games.

LAODICEA WAS A LOCAL SYNOD FOR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.

End of story.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have I discussed this, three or four times now?

I was talking about the perspective of certain Orthodox. No matter how many times you quote the one line, it doesn't change the fact that I was discussing a particular perspective, not what I or the Catholic Church believes.

My guess is that you will go on about something else for the next 6-8 posts and then bring this up all over again. I am really growing tired of your games.

LAODICEA WAS A LOCAL SYNOD FOR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.

End of story.

Hang on 1/2 second. So when you said it was binding on the Church, you weren't talking about your Church.

Okay. Talk later. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For the seventh time: I was discussing the Orthodox perspective.

Got it. I guess when you said it was binding on the Church I assumed you thought RC was at least part of the Church. Had you said it was binding on EO, we'd have moved on already. My mistake. Sorry.

So, let me ask you this. Why did RC reject the canons of the synod of Laodicea?

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Got it. I guess when you said it was binding on the Church I assumed you thought RC was at least part of the Church. Had you said it was binding on EO, we'd have moved on already. My mistake. Sorry.

Seriously? I said ten times now I was talking about the EO perspective, which includes all their concepts about what is and isn't the Church.

So, let me ask you this. Why did RC reject the canons of the synod of Laodicea?[/QUOTE]

I have a question, why do you keep asking the same questions over and over again, when I answer them over and over? I already said five times now that the Catholic Church did not reject the synod of Laodicea.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Seriously? I said ten times now I was talking about the EO perspective, which includes all their concepts about what is and isn't the Church.
So, let me ask you this. Why did RC reject the canons of the synod of Laodicea?

I have a question, why do you keep asking the same questions over and over again, when I answer them over and over? I already said five times now that the Catholic Church did not reject the synod of Laodicea.
Did they reject any of the doctines that came out of it or did they accept all of them? Just curious

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Ok lets just put this to bed.

"I am going to hell because I worship on Sunday"

there are you SDA's and other Sabbath holders happy?
:thumbsup:

couldn't give a stuff. Observance of the Sabbath will not save you any more than not taking a mother bird with it's eggs.

I am a Sabbath keeper and am extremely happy. I do not think you will go to hell for not keeping it. But you will be rewarded for your works.

Steve

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Did they reject any of the doctines that came out of it or did they accept all of them? Just curious

It was a local council. The Catholic Church does not normally accept or reject rulings of local council.

It is like asking if Congress or Parliament rejected the ruling of a city council. Congress does not concern itself with the goings on of the Dallas city council.

Upvote 0