Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Now suppose that some member not only refuses to abide by the rules but also holds many views completely opposed to those of the society and even rises up against its very goal. He not only does not himself observe temperance but even reviles temperance itself and disseminates notions which might tempt others and deflect them from temperance. What does the society ordinarily do with such people? First it admonishes them, and then it expels them. There you have an anathema! — St. Theophan the Recluse

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The specific Canon mentioned in the O.P. was dealing with those specific locations who were adopting or rather drifting into Judaism. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Church creating laws to "trod upon the sabbath".

Up to that time all Christians met for Mass on "Sunday" to worship Christ as Lord. Also up to that time many of the Christian converts from Judaism also met on Saturday HOWEVER this was not for the purpose of "Christian assembly".

The Church had to step in and order that if people did meet on Saturday it was proper to read from the New Testament ( Christian ) Scriptures & that is why we read the other things we do in that council relating to Saturday or Sabbath meetings.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i posted this in another thread, and it deals with the sabbath, but i'll post it here to see what u all think.

Leviticus 23:1-3 ( KJV ) 1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD(not of the jews), which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations(in our vernacular it means go to church), even these are my feasts. 3Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

now, of course everyone knows about this!

next verse:
Leviticus 23:4 ( KJV ) 4These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.

yes, everyone knows God is talking to the israelites and He gives them the feast days:

passover
feast of unleavened
day of pentecost or feast of firstfruits
feast of trumpets
day of atonement
feast of tabernacles
last great day

now, these feast days can contain sabbaths within them, and these sabbaths can fall on different days depending on the year, like our holidays today.

i have been asking about this in another thread. for those who say the law (ten commandments) was abolished to please explain zech 14:16-19. no one has done so up to this point.

Leviticus 23:33-37 ( KJV ) 33And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 34Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the LORD. 35On the first day shall be an holy convocation(in other words, a sabbath): ye shall do no servile work therein. 36Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein.

everyone sees that this feast consists of seven days, the first being a sabbath, and ends with an eighth day, which is also a sabbath.

however, some of u here say that this is jewish, antiquaited, or flat abolished at the cross.

Zechariah 14:16-19 ( KJV ) 16And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. 17And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain. 18And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. 19This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

in these verses of zechariah, the time setting is the key to me. everyone knows that this passage is talking about a time that is yet future, after the second coming of Christ even!

why does the prophet say that we will be observing something that has been abolilshed, simply don't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
-snip-

why does the prophet say that we will be observing something that has been abolilshed, simply don't make sense to me.

Here's the fulfillment.

Jn. 20:19 Then the same day (Sunday) at evening, being the first [day] of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace [be] unto you.

v24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

v25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

v26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: [then] came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace [be] unto you.

v27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [it] into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

Sunday to Sunday counting inclusively is 8 days. Peace to you on the first and last day. Rom. 14:11 For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here's the fulfillment.

Jn. 20:19 Then the same day (Sunday) at evening, being the first [day] of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace [be] unto you.

v24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

v25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

v26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: [then] came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace [be] unto you.

v27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [it] into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

Sunday to Sunday counting inclusively is 8 days. Peace to you on the first and last day. Rom. 14:11 For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

so, do we still have to keep the feast of tabernacles?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
:) Not me :p

Leviticus 23:42 `In booths/05521 cukkah ye dwell seven days all who are natives in Israel dwell in booths/05521 cukkah,

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and booths/eskhnwsen <4637> (5656) in us, and we esteem the glory of Him, glory as an Only-begotten beside Father, full of Grace and Truth.

http://www.christianforums.com/t6728727-2/#post42606223
The word "booth" in NT/NC

Reactions: VictorC
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We are keeping it. The symbol, the shadow was fulfilled in Christ, if one believes. We dwell/tabernacle in Him and He in us.

It seems to me, for those who reject Christ, that 8th day will come later. See Rev and the 1000 years and the first and second resurrections and the symbolism of the three feast harvests of OT. John lived in the 5th of 7 Lord's Day. We are in the 6th. Then the 7th. Then the 8th.

If the first fruits are holy, then ... See Heb. 11.

Hope that helps a bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by JohnRabbit so, do we still have to keep the feast of tabernacles?
We are keeping it. The symbol, the shadow was fulfilled in Christ, if one believes. We dwell/tabernacle in Him and He in us.

It seems to me, for those who reject Christ, that 8th day will come later. See Rev and the 1000 years and the first and second resurrections and the symbolism of the three feast harvests of OT. John lived in the 5th of 7 Lord's Day. We are in the 6th. Then the 7th. Then the 8th.

If the first fruits are holy, then ... See Heb. 11.

Hope that helps a bit.
Will the Jews and those left from the Great Supper of God [Ezekiel 39:17/Reve 19:17] have to come to Jerusalem to keep the Passover and Feasts :wave:

Search for 'Genesis 1:1' in the version

Rotherham) Zechariah 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that, as for every one that is left out of all the nations that came against Jerusalem, that they shall come up, from year to year, to bow down to the king, Yahweh of hosts, and to celebrate the festival of booths.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Zechariah 14:16-19 ( KJV ) 16And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. 17And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain. 18And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. 19This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

in these verses of zechariah, the time setting is the key to me. everyone knows that this passage is talking about a time that is yet future, after the second coming of Christ even!

Let's read the next couple of verses, too, for context:
Zech. 14:20 In that day there will be inscribed on the bells of the horses, "HOLY TO THE LORD " And the cooking pots in the LORD'S house will be like the bowls before the altar.
21 Every cooking pot in Jerusalem and in Judah will be holy to the LORD of hosts; and all who sacrifice will come and take of them and boil in them. And there will no longer be a Canaanite in the house of the LORD of hosts in that day. (NASB)
A few questions to consider:

• Verse 17: After the second coming, will there be people on the earth who refuse to worship God or who fail to worship Him at certain required times?
  • Verse 18: After the second coming, will there be a literal nation of Egypt?
  • Verse 18: After the second coming, will there still be heathen on the earth?
  • Verse 21: After the second coming, will people offer sacrifices to God?
If you don't take all of those things literally, why would you take the reference to the feast of tabernacles literally? I see it as symbolic of the future gathering together of all the people of God, but this passage was originally written in the context of the restoration of Israel and their Messianic expectations. They wouldn't have envisioned a time when the literal feast of tabernacles wasn't in view.

However, as Christians, we see from the perspective of what Jesus as our Messiah accomplished for us by His death on the cross. He fulfilled all of those literal rituals by His once-for-all sacrifice. He is the reality to which all of those symbols pointed.

When we see NT writers--John in Revelation, for example--using OT temple imagery or quoting from OT passages that reference feasts and Sabbaths (such as Isaiah 56-66), that doesn't mean that the literal OT feast days and ceremonies will be observed on the new earth; after all, John also wrote in Rev. 21 that there would be no temple in the New Jerusalem because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. All it means is that they found those symbols useful to illustrate the spiritual truths that were revealed in Christ's fulfillment of them. The sacrificial system and its associated rituals were never given as eternally binding universal commandments, and they were never meant to take the focus away from the true Lamb.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Will the Jews and those left from the Great Supper of God [Ezekiel 39:17/Reve 19:17] have to come to Jerusalem to keep the Passover and Feasts :wave:

Search for 'Genesis 1:1' in the version

Rotherham) Zechariah 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that, as for every one that is left out of all the nations that came against Jerusalem, that they shall come up, from year to year, to bow down to the king, Yahweh of hosts, and to celebrate the festival of booths.

Do you mean like this?

1 Cor. 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth.

or this-

John 7:37 In the last day, that great [day] of the feast (booths), Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you mean like this?

1 Cor. 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth.

or this-

John 7:37 In the last day, that great [day] of the feast (booths), Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
:thumbsup: :amen:

John 7:37 In yet the last day, the great, of the feast, stood Jesus and cries-out saying "if-ever any may be thirsting, let him be coming toward Me and be drinking
[Isaiah 43:19/Revelation 21:6]

Reve 21:6
And He said to me "it has become.
I Am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. I, to the one thirsting, shall be giving out of the spring of the Water of the Life gratuitously/dwrean <1432>".
[John 7:37/Reve 16:17]

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Catholic Church consider that the honour that the Jews gave to the Saturday, shall be given to the Sunday, because Sunday is the day of the risen and the day of the apparitions of Christ to the apostoles.

So on Sunday we have to go to Church to Mass, and we should not do servile works

About anathema, you can remind the use made by St Paul: (Gal 1:9): "If any one preach to you a gospel besides that which you have received, let him be anathema." (so it means accursed, overwhelmed with maledictions)

PS the council of Laodicea was not an Ecumenic Council, but simply a local Council, and so its canons are not strictly mandatory or infallible for us
Which other Denominations view it that way, and would the OP consider SDAs and MJs as "anathema" since they observe the Sabbath? Just curious. Thanks :wave:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7431820/
Church Councils and Precedence of Sees

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Deut 5:29

Dec 10, 2009
✟2,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Canon 29 of the Council of Laodicea (ca. A.D. 360) explicitly condemns the veneration of the Sabbath and enjoins working on such a day in order to show a special respect for Sunday:
Source: CHURCH FATHERS: Synod of Laodicea (4th Century)

Which churches believe this today?
Roman Catholic?
Eastern Orthodox?
Any others?

What does anathema mean in this canon?

"in order to show a special respect for Sunday:" What it really does is show a special disrespect to God and for His Holy Sabbath!

"Any others?" Of course, all of her daughters who submit to this pagan practice.

Upvote 0

RibI

Jul 31, 2009
✟1,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"in order to show a special respect for Sunday:" What it really does is show a special disrespect to God and for His Holy Sabbath!

"Any others?" Of course, all of her daughters who submit to this pagan practice.

It is good to see some pure truth does show up on this forum from time to time.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

I didn't know the apostle Paul, early Christians and the bible were pagan. The records Christians gathering for worship on the first day of the week, Sunday.

Jesus rose on the first day of the week, Sunday.

Upvote 0

Deut 5:29

Dec 10, 2009
✟2,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know the apostle Paul, early Christians and the bible were pagan. The records Christians gathering for worship on the first day of the week, Sunday.

Jesus rose on the first day of the week, Sunday.

Not true and not true.
Where do you get this stuff. Thats more like a SpiritualCarcinogen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0